MUPPETS Screenwriter Nicholas Stoller Says THE MUPPETS Might Be Coming Back to TV

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
The last movie barely made it's money back domestically. Now isn't the right time for a new show. The audience isn't there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cue Debbie Downer music. :rolleyes:

No time's a good time for another show. TV is too volatile now, and there's no good place to put it. If it's kept in the Disney Family, it won't fit in with ABC's programming, The Disney Channel's terrible tween coms, ABC Family's terrible teen dramas... you get the picture. And I don't see any other network snapping something like that up even if MMW made Avenger's money. But Disney needs to come up with some alternative venue for the characters if cheap families are too cheap to see them in theaters and hipsters decided they weren't hip past the first comeback movie. Netflix? Amazon, maybe? Even Community was rescued by Yahoo. An original show can happen. Just not on TV.

That said, let's talk about the audience that isn't there... the ones that whine about how there's too many reality shows and watches them anyway, but ironically. The same audience that keeps American Idol a franchise zombie, refuses to tune into SHIELD because something was mildly disappointing, yet watches NCIS hobble around on 2003 level paranoia for formulaic storylines. Or my personal favorite, the idiots that keep tuning into Two and a Half Men long after it should have been cancelled (hint: It was 2 years before Charlie Sheen went nuts and became persona non grata). Oh... forgot the younger demo that hates seeing their favorite shows getting cancelled, yet watches them online only, and a whole chunk of it illegally. I'm not going to give a "the Muppets are too beautiful for this world," but they're trying to impress those people?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I think Hulu would be a good home for a new muppet show if TV is out of the question, this way the website will keep on evolving and beating Netflix, the website everyone likes that has next to nothing in the TV department.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Long story short about internet streaming... I have problems with them all, but it's no fault of their own, but rather the licensees. They can demand their stuff get pulled when they decide they didn't get enough money for it. And when they do, they make the sites charge more for membership... Then there's the sweetheart deals that force you to pay for each specific site to watch all what you want... it's kind of a mess, really.

But I'd say the Muppets have a better future on one of thems than on television. Even if they just return to do Youtube to do shorts. There is an audience, but not one that would watch the show regularly enough to ensure a full season and one that doesn't want to pay for movies (but has no problem buying Maguffins with real live money on Candy Crush).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Long story short about internet streaming... I have problems with them all, but it's no fault of their own, but rather the licensees. They can demand their stuff get pulled when they decide they didn't get enough money for it. And when they do, they make the sites charge more for membership... Then there's the sweetheart deals that force you to pay for each specific site to watch all what you want... it's kind of a mess, really.
Streaming can be a great thing, but it really shouldn't be the end-all be-all for entertainment for those reasons alone.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Honestly, I can not say this enough, but then we need TMS reruns. All the classic shows like I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, All in the Family, Everybody Loves Raymond, everything has reruns, so a new generation can discover them, not TMS, that has not been on TV in over a decade, come on, there are all those channels airing classic shows, why not spare an hour a day to air TMS? KCOP, ME-TV, COZI, THIS TV, KDOC, ANTENNA, all those channels air syndicated programs yet none air TMS, any of those non-cable channels could easily insert it to their lineup, and merely take out an hour of some show that is on 4 hours a day, come on. Once that has happened then people that are not over 40 will become fans, and would most likely want to watch a new muppet show, reruns are the key.