Urgent! I need help with attaching a "rabbit tooth" to a bunny puppet

ma0298

Reaction score
I'm making a bunny puppet for my little sister's birthday (wich is tomorrow, I need help quickly) and I need to add a tooth, I wonder if there are any better ways than just hot-glueing the top of the tooth (which is made of craft foam) to the mouth.

Slackbot

Reaction score
It's hard to tell which way would be better without seeing the puppet and the tooth. Possibilities that come to mind are:

1) Contact cement. No hot-glue goo.

2) attaching a wire to the bottom of the tooth and poking it through the puppet, then twisting the wire inside the head. This assumes that you can get into the head to do this, of course. The wire would provide stability.

ma0298

Reaction score
Well, I'm using a roly pattern, and I'm not sure how to post pictures... So I can't show you the puppet(I'll try an unlisted youtube video). For the wire, woud floral wire do the trick?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yes, floral wire is what I use. However, I don't think you have enough room to bend the wire from inside, and you don't want sharp wires poking into your fingers.

I'd say just glue the teeth in place. I'd bevel the upper edge so you don't have that thick ridge.

ma0298

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by bevel the upper edge to get rid of the thick ridge...

Slackbot

Reaction score
What you have is a three-dimensional rectangle. It has a thickness all the way around. Where your teeth emerge from your gums, you don't have a "shelf" at the top of your tooth. I'm suggesting trimming down the top corner of the tooth so it looks like it's emerging from the head rather than appliqued on top of the skin.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Contact cement works just fine although though I've built several versions of a beaver puppet ("Buck Beaver" hence the username) over the past 20 years. Each one has fun foam teeth that are hot glued in place and that has always worked great. Just avoid holding the teeth too close to heat guns, 1k video lights and/or the State of Arizona. :wink:

An alternative method without wires or contact cement is to use fabric for the teeth and stitch the teeth in to place between the mouth and head. Most toy rabbit puppets are done that way because of safety concerns.

ma0298

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help , sadly, I realised for a little girl's puppet, the tooth my take away from it's "cuteness" so I diddnt end up adding a tooth this time but your help will end up on annother puppet, so thanks! Here is a short video of the finished product :smile: