HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I brought this back to talk about Hostages... a low rated show that had no fans and isn't even getting a proper in store DVD release (if I feel the need to explain, a current TV show that didn't have DVD release plans the second the third episode aired is virtually unheard of) that managed finish the season somehow, I'll say this about Work It.

There was a show in the early 80's called Bosom Buddies with Tom Hanks and some other guy who didn't become an Award winning actor and was the replacement Rick Morannis for a Honey I Shrunk the Kid's TV show. A series where they had to dress up as women because they couldn't afford to live anywhere else but a woman's hotel (delightfully subverting how not that well paid sitcom characters who can inexplicably afford nice apartments in New York City- before it was even a thing). The difference with Work it Being...

A) It was never mean spirited about the guys needing to be women

B) the cast had great enough chemistry and the show had genuine laughs built into the script

C) they didn't try to turn the show into botched social commentary that came off as misogynistic.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
While I brought this back to talk about Hostages... a low rated show that had no fans and isn't even getting a proper in store DVD release (if I feel the need to explain, a current TV show that didn't have DVD release plans the second the third episode aired is virtually unheard of) that managed finish the season somehow, I'll say this about Work It.

There was a show in the early 80's called Bosom Buddies with Tom Hanks and some other guy who didn't become an Award winning actor and was the replacement Rick Morannis for a Honey I Shrunk the Kid's TV show. A series where they had to dress up as women because they couldn't afford to live anywhere else but a woman's hotel (delightfully subverting how not that well paid sitcom characters who can inexplicably afford nice apartments in New York City- before it was even a thing). The difference with Work it Being...

A) It was never mean spirited about the guys needing to be women

B) the cast had great enough chemistry and the show had genuine laughs built into the script

C) they didn't try to turn the show into botched social commentary that came off as misogynistic.
Now that I think about it the show did have potential, I mean the second episode's plot of one of guys dressed as girls going on a date with the doctor they were selling stuff to was hilarious, and the third episode that never aired was about the two guys dressed as girls going into a bar and making wagers only to find their other friend who was not in on the secret to find them. It seems like people took this show as too controversial to turn into a success story which is a shame, I would have loved to see the remaining episodes they did not show on television.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yippie-yippie, yay-yay, Honey Poo Poo's been canceled, huh-ray!

Apparently the giant sow that gave birth to her is now dating a registered sex offender, so yeah.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those trailer trash ruffians fell out of the public eye months ago. Don't worry, there's some other waste of human life no doubt about to get a show on the "Learning" channel. In the meantime, I'm sure they have some demeaning specials about 600+ pound people who are how every single person that's overweight looks.

That said, wake me when Muhleny (or however it's spelt) is cancelled. It's a shame Bob's Burgers got delegated to the 7:30 preempted by Football slot to make room for a subpar sitcom. I know BB has a cult following that apparently only watches it online or on Cartoon network, but that's no reason to toss the series off like that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Those trailer trash ruffians fell out of the public eye months ago. Don't worry, there's some other waste of human life no doubt about to get a show on the "Learning" channel. In the meantime, I'm sure they have some demeaning specials about 600+ pound people who are how every single person that's overweight looks.

That said, wake me when Muhleny (or however it's spelt) is cancelled. It's a shame Bob's Burgers got delegated to the 7:30 preempted by Football slot to make room for a subpar sitcom. I know BB has a cult following that apparently only watches it online or on Cartoon network, but that's no reason to toss the series off like that.
Mulaney is awesome, seriously what is with the hate, the show is great. Seriously, just because the first episode was not good that does not mean people should tune out, after actually watching an episode I realized it is not a sub par comedy and definetly not a Seinfeld rip off. When was the last time you saw a musical number, someone trying to pretend to be a dead guy's wife, and someone attempt to roba grave on a sitcom? This stuff is great, I say give it another chance, and I am glad FOX is stuck airing all the episodes, because they have nothing else to air, and who knows it could end up being a hit, probably not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mulaney is awesome, seriously what is with the hate, the show is great. Seriously, just because the first episode was not good that does not mean people should tune out, after actually watching an episode I realized it is not a sub par comedy and definetly not a Seinfeld rip off.
The "hate" is that it certainly doesn't belong on Sunday Nights, and only has that time slot because of that atrocious failed reality show that's been knocked to Fridays anyway because no one actually liked it. If it was on Tuesday at like 8/8:30, I'd give it a shot. I'm also not too pleased with Brooklyn 99 being on that night, but I like the show (and Terry Crews) too much to really be annoyed by that, but something tells me it will be bad for that series.

Yes, there's a bias because I freaking LOVE Bob's Burgers. I look forward to that more than any other animated series on Fox. I still love the Simpsons and Family Guy, and I'm on the bandwagon of the shows running their course with the realization that they're too popular to cancel and that's okay. But Bobs was perfect in between Simpsons and FG. The live action sitcoms should be on Tuesday, not failed, culturally irrelevant knockoffs of Survivor. I'd totally give that show another shot if it wasn't on opposite CN's rebroadcast of last year's BB reruns. Yeah, I get the ratings aren't great (I blame that overrated piece of garbage on ABC, you know the one), but there's no need to give it the "screw you" slot it gave to Futurama.

(EDIT) oh, and by the way, I check it out... they slapped together another crappy reality show to put in the reality show's place. Yet another cooking competition.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The "hate" is that it certainly doesn't belong on Sunday Nights, and only has that time slot because of that atrocious failed reality show that's been knocked to Fridays anyway because no one actually liked it. If it was on Tuesday at like 8/8:30, I'd give it a shot. I'm also not too pleased with Brooklyn 99 being on that night, but I like the show (and Terry Crews) too much to really be annoyed by that, but something tells me it will be bad for that series.

Yes, there's a bias because I freaking LOVE Bob's Burgers. I look forward to that more than any other animated series on Fox. I still love the Simpsons and Family Guy, and I'm on the bandwagon of the shows running their course with the realization that they're too popular to cancel and that's okay. But Bobs was perfect in between Simpsons and FG. The live action sitcoms should be on Tuesday, not failed, culturally irrelevant knockoffs of Survivor. I'd totally give that show another shot if it wasn't on opposite CN's rebroadcast of last year's BB reruns. Yeah, I get the ratings aren't great (I blame that overrated piece of garbage on ABC, you know the one), but there's no need to give it the "screw you" slot it gave to Futurama.

(EDIT) oh, and by the way, I check it out... they slapped together another crappy reality show to put in the reality show's place. Yet another cooking competition.
I also like Bob's Burgers, but the whole ditching the show to a 7:30 timeslot was something that happened last season. It was a terrible decision, I actually thought they cancelled the show untill this season, I do not watch FOX much. Yes, Mulaney would probably do better on a different day, but all in all it would have succeeded on NBC, the show has an SNL writer, and it is like Seinfeld, it could have worked big time, yet NBC never picked the show up, terrible desicion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
NBC is where the show should be. But it's not Biggest Loser, so...

I get that they hate Harmon so much that they don't want to put Community, a show people actually watch, when they're struggling to find shows. I haven't bothered with their lame sitcom line up. I'm getting sick of the new cute couple based series, and A to Z looks awful. Still want to see how bad the ratings were for Michael J Fox for them to dump it. They're hard up for shows, yet they're extremely unwilling to give anything a shot unless Minne Driver's big angular head is in the way. Or... Parenthood... sorry. I can't come up with a wisecrack for that one other than "sad Modern Family." Seriously, is that show ever upbeat? Even with Ray Romano? They've manged to prove the old adage wrong. Beggars apparently can be choosers.

That said, if Fox doesn't want Bob's Burgers for anything but cult following I think that they should either have CN rerun that night's episode at a different time slot (like American Dad's TBS airing gets shown again on CN an hour later) or just have the show move completely to CN with new episodes or at least the rest of the season, since it seems to be thriving on that venue (which is a better choice anyway).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Two things.

Apparently, NO one like Mulheny, and it's episode count was reduced. Not cancelled, but it doesn't look good (hopefully they can get Bobs on that slot when the episodes run out), Utopia is shoved off to Fridays, but still replaced with another reality show... but a Gordon Ramsey based one, so it's a step in a better direction.

But the first show this season to be cancelled is the lame Manhattan love Story. Jeez. How I Met Your Mother ended, and there isn't going to be a competent romantic sitcom after that. So... yeah...

Also, the Mahoneys or Mulligans, or whatever premiered last night. It's freaking awful. Lame joke, laugh track, lame joke, laugh track. They can't even manage to get pop culture references from this decade. And I don't even mean retro references. I mean, "Hey! Let's reference that current hip show, The Closer! That's still a thing, right?"