Most Annoying TV Series Ever?

Princeton

Reaction score
I wish more comic book fans out there would appreciate the series more as Marvel's very own Brave and the Bold Team up show. This series gets to show rare characters who have never been animated before. But the Jessie Team up was bloody awful. Disney didn't need to flex their corporate synergy on that show. it came off as a commercial for the other show with Spider-Man playing second. I love this show and all, but that definitely hurt my feelings for it. And I admit, the Spider-Verse bit was a little disappointing, but decent. Wish they spent more time with Spider-Ham.

But back to annoying shows? Friggin' Mr. Pickles. And not the awesome character from Boxtrolls, either. It's just a terrible show that's everything wrong with adult animation. Everything is so over the top, and not in a good way. Every filthy little joke that every adult series has done gets regurgitated for cheap laughs when the concept is admittedly kinda brilliant. But it's wasted on flat characters that are none note jokes (heh... I totally accidentally typed in that n, but I'm leaving it in), and it all comes off as a 4 year old screaming "DOODIES!" and "PEE PEE!" instead of something clever and satirical like it claims to be. Worst off, you can try to avoid the series, but they advertise the heck out of it when you're watching better shows on [as].

And it's a right shame as their shows are getting better outside of that. Black Dynamite is back, Rick and Morty draws them in even on reruns, and Mike Tyson Mysteries looks like a fun nod to their original parody Hanna Barbera line up. But this... this is just a lame crossing the line because it's funny with no substance series.

While we're on the subject of Adult Swim, I can't believe we're on page 6 of this thread and I haven't mentioned Squidbillies yet. Bleeding edge Flash graphics, super-annoying voices, and the way the characters are positioned on the scene is akin to a four year old's depth perception. Now as far as Flash series on AS goes, the writing was what saved Home Movies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force will always be a guilty pleasure of mine.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of Adult Swim, I can't believe we're on page 6 of this thread and I haven't mentioned Squidbillies yet. Bleeding edge Flash graphics, super-annoying voices, and the way the characters are positioned on the scene is akin to a four year old's depth perception. Now as far as Flash series on AS goes, the writing was what saved Home Movies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force will always be a guilty pleasure of mine.
Squidbillies is AMAZING!! I didn't understand the appeal until I Netflixed an episode a couple years ago. I'm still laughing about it. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Squidbillies is AMAZING!! I didn't understand the appeal until I Netflixed an episode a couple years ago. I'm still laughing about it. :embarrassed:
I honestly tried that series on two separate occasions. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. Then again, the second time I watched, I was up with some of the worst indigestion I've ever had, so that kind of tainted it for me.

There are two kinds of adult animation on [as]. The straightforward comedy stuff, and the weird stuff that's weird for the sake of weird. Those can be broken down into groups, but there's comedy and surreality. I'd say Squidbillies, like its predecessor ATHF wants to be both, but it doesn't have that weird touch that ATHF has. Even then, that show was an acquired taste, but once you acquired it, you're in. But I wouldn't call Squidbillies bad, exactly. It's acquired taste, and I'm sure you need to check out a few of them to get it down.

Personally, I'm more for the deeper, longer shows like Black Dynamite, Rick and Morty, and Venture Brothers. Things that are more satirical in nature, and can be shockingly deep sometimes. I do like some of the shorter things, though. But it runs the gamut of adult humor cartoons of adult situations to saying as many dirty words and doing as many naughty things as possible. I get shock humor, but (and this was my main rant about Mr. Pickles) the key element of shock humor is shock of something shocking, and it's hard to do since Family Guy has done every shocking thing in the world by now. When rape jokes have become standard and boring, you know there's not much more land to settle. Pickles does it sloppy. What I'm kind of disappointed in is the lack of adult action shows from this country. Though, yeah, to be fair I was never much into Aeon Flux. But it feels like there was a reason Samurai Jack was rebroadcast on the new Toonami. I'd just love someone to make an American action cartoon for adults that isn't a joke of some kind. An American equivalent of Golgo 13.

Princeton

Reaction score
Though Venture Brothers isn't intrinsically a bad show, there's other shows like it that I enjoy more that fulfill the same purpose, namely Harvey Birdman and Ripping Friends, which I swear is so similar to VB that I thought it was a spinoff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Venture Bros is more dark parody than the others. Like, dark, psychological stuff. The others are much more upbeat parodies with some adult jokes thrown in. Venture Brothers is all about failure and putting a supreme darkness into famous action characters, if by expy versions of them. The later episodes get very deep. I actually quite like it. I really like the themes of how screwed up adventure kids would get after seeing so much. Face it, a lot of cartoons are about child soldiers if you look into it. Someone took those disturbing thoughts and made a show about it. And it works.

That said, I've never actually seen the Brak Show, but even [as] admits it was a terrible idea. There's a commercial for their web streaming site that shows a picture of it where it says "even the shows everybody hates."

Come to think of it... I haven't been bombarded with Mr. Pickles advertisements lately... Either that's because they're promoting the heck out of Mike Tyson's show, or....

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Black Jesus:I think that show is stupid and blasphemous.
Honey Boo-Boo:C'mon, REALLY!?
Hannah Montana:Miley Cyrus is a bad actor.
Ned's Declassified:Worst show on TeenNick.
South Park:The jokes are offensive and the voices are annoying.
Dora the Explorer:I watched it when I was little, but hate it now.
Boohbah:Creepy and kind of annoying.
Hip Hop Harry:It's rapping Barney, what more is there to hate?
Brickleberry:Like South Park but 10X more offensive.
My Little Pony:I'm not a brony.
Utopia:Too many bleeps.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't understand not liking something just because it's "offensive" - just as long as it doesn't hold one particular prejudice. It's important (and entertaining) to poke fun at the hypocrisy in the world and shows like South Park do that brilliantly while sometimes pointing a finger at themselves. :halo:

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Anything on Disney Channel, if you don't already know my opinion. By the way Zed, that's a great Brian avatar! I love that show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't understand not liking something just because it's "offensive" - just as long as it doesn't hold one particular prejudice. It's important (and entertaining) to poke fun at the hypocrisy in the world and shows like South Park do that brilliantly while sometimes pointing a finger at themselves. :halo:
The same for Black Jesus. It's a very brilliant piece of satire that gets crap because they're making fun of a religious figure, even though it really isn't. Remember, Jesus hung with less than reputable people and managed to turn them honest in the bible. That's the concept. 'cept it's today in a poor black neighborhood. Considering how some overly influential jerks painted Jesus, that's far more offensive to me.