Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's kind of the point I was making. There's not so much controversy so much as it's weird that they're distancing. Perfectly understandable as they want to keep it part of its own thing, though. I mean, only older comic book fans know it's a Marvel production anyway. I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of "based on a Marvel Comic" is going to affect the movie one way or the other. I can see the reason as avoiding overexposure of the Marvel brand.

Still, it would have been nice to reprint the comics for those who ignored it until it became a movie.
I agree. It seems like Disney really wants this film to make its own impression. I hear it's good. A bit safe, but good. I predict the box office to be at least around $700 million worldwide, but it will likely be even greater. This seems to be the animated film audiences were waiting for all year. That was supposed to be Dragon, but that didn't happen.

On another note, Disney seems to be reshaping Marvel's guidelines. No new X-Men characters are allowed in the comics and an end to the Fantastic Four for a while because they don't want to give Fox any new material. They really want their licenses back and I don't blame them. I still think Sony's angling to strike a crossover deal for Spidey.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
That's kind of the point I was making. There's not so much controversy so much as it's weird that they're distancing. Perfectly understandable as they want to keep it part of its own thing, though. I mean, only older comic book fans know it's a Marvel production anyway. I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of "based on a Marvel Comic" is going to affect the movie one way or the other. I can see the reason as avoiding overexposure of the Marvel brand.

Still, it would have been nice to reprint the comics for those who ignored it until it became a movie.
Marvel has decided to distance itself from this movie currently (unless it becomes a major success.) It doesn't really fall into the category of films that Marvel's producing at the moment, and putting Marvel's name on it will just confuse people about the MCU. It's a good thing they chose not to slap Marvel all over every ad, although I really thought that was Disney's whole plan from the beginning to boost ticket sales.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On another note, Disney seems to be reshaping Marvel's guidelines. No new X-Men characters are allowed in the comics and an end to the Fantastic Four for a while because they don't want to give Fox any new material. They really want their licenses back and I don't blame them. I still think Sony's angling to strike a crossover deal for Spidey.
If the rumors are to be believed (and I'm skeptical, yet not entirely), Sony's freaking the beak over the reception over Amazing Spider-Man 2 even worse and now the rumor going around is they're going to recast Spidey. Which, if that is true, sucks because Garfield was a very good Spider-Man, and it isn't his fault he was handed a polarizing script. I guess Sony's flipping out because of the bad word of mouth the film got, and somehow they're starting to feel a third film may just not be worth it. Still, the thing made a crapload of money. Sure, GOTG kicked its butt, but it kicked every butt that wasn't Transformers this year. It's not like it was a world wide flop.

Meanwhile, other than the fact they let Daredevil go, Fox is not going to drop any Marvel films anytime soon. The X-Men films are profitable, even when they're awful (like the first Wolverine movie), and Fantastic Four will be left up to reception. I'm looking forward most to Deadpool. I just hope if Ryan Reynolds is cast, the public isn't all "ewwww! Green Lantern" even though even Ryan came out admitting he didn't like how the film turned out.. or his role as Deadpool in said Wolverine movie (which was both the studio's and Marvel's fault anyway... he was stealing too much of the film from Wolverine even after they wanted to put him in there in the first place).

Marvel has decided to distance itself from this movie currently (unless it becomes a major success.) It doesn't really fall into the category of films that Marvel's producing at the moment, and putting Marvel's name on it will just confuse people about the MCU. It's a good thing they chose not to slap Marvel all over every ad, although I really thought that was Disney's whole plan from the beginning to boost ticket sales.
I don't think anyone would have thought it was a MCU film anyway. It's animated for one, and I don't know if any of the Big Hero characters crossed over with the Marvel characters to begin with. But as I said, refusing to release the comics under the excuse of the characters being different is kind of weak, when a totally understandable "we're distancing ourselves from Marvel for the time being" would have been more acceptable. Kinda like when they redubbed over Spider-Man's voice in that episode of Avengers because "kids wouldn't understand a different voiced Spider-Man" instead of the more truthful and reasonable brand unity and linking the new Spider-Man series to that one (even though they cancelled that version of Avengers for a cartoon based on the movie, but they didn't know that yet).

And yes, they are showing the trailer that says "Based on a Marvel Comic" again. They showed it specifically last night during SHIELD. It seems that only older comic fans would care one way or another about the Marvel tie in anyway. The general public, more casual comic readers, and kids probably never heard of Big Hero 6 anyway.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
If the rumors are to be believed (and I'm skeptical, yet not entirely), Sony's freaking the beak over the reception over Amazing Spider-Man 2 even worse and now the rumor going around is they're going to recast Spidey. Which, if that is true, sucks because Garfield was a very good Spider-Man, and it isn't his fault he was handed a polarizing script. I guess Sony's flipping out because of the bad word of mouth the film got, and somehow they're starting to feel a third film may just not be worth it. Still, the thing made a crapload of money. Sure, GOTG kicked its butt, but it kicked every butt that wasn't Transformers this year. It's not like it was a world wide flop.

Meanwhile, other than the fact they let Daredevil go, Fox is not going to drop any Marvel films anytime soon. The X-Men films are profitable, even when they're awful (like the first Wolverine movie), and Fantastic Four will be left up to reception. I'm looking forward most to Deadpool. I just hope if Ryan Reynolds is cast, the public isn't all "ewwww! Green Lantern" even though even Ryan came out admitting he didn't like how the film turned out.. or his role as Deadpool in said Wolverine movie (which was both the studio's and Marvel's fault anyway... he was stealing too much of the film from Wolverine even after they wanted to put him in there in the first place).

I don't think anyone would have thought it was a MCU film anyway. It's animated for one, and I don't know if any of the Big Hero characters crossed over with the Marvel characters to begin with. But as I said, refusing to release the comics under the excuse of the characters being different is kind of weak, when a totally understandable "we're distancing ourselves from Marvel for the time being" would have been more acceptable. Kinda like when they redubbed over Spider-Man's voice in that episode of Avengers because "kids wouldn't understand a different voiced Spider-Man" instead of the more truthful and reasonable brand unity and linking the new Spider-Man series to that one (even though they cancelled that version of Avengers for a cartoon based on the movie, but they didn't know that yet).

And yes, they are showing the trailer that says "Based on a Marvel Comic" again. They showed it specifically last night during SHIELD. It seems that only older comic fans would care one way or another about the Marvel tie in anyway. The general public, more casual comic readers, and kids probably never heard of Big Hero 6 anyway.
The Spider-Man script reportedly wasn't polarizing. It was how they shaped the film after shooting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And yet, it seems no one cares about that. Which sucks because a lot of potentially good movies get screwed over by the studio. And yet, everyone but the studio takes blame. What's worse is that the actors get saddled with the film's failure, and sometimes their careers never recover. I'd hate for that to happen with Garfield. I actually do prefer him as Spidey, but aside from that, he should not get the blame for the studio's stupidity. And all of these movies really should have alternate Donner cuts.

Moving away from that, I don't want to jinx the chances of said movie, but I'm concerned that Big Hero opens up that...that Nolan thing. I like Nolan and all, but this new movie doesn't look that good, and I'd hate to think that because he starred in one movie where he won an Oscar that Mr. "Arrightarrightarright" has a classy upswing in his career. If there's one thing I can agree on Family Guy, it's how much Mathew sucks. Though, I don't think I'd dig the concept of the film no matter who's starring in it. Of course, the films have wildly different demographics, but I've said that about a lot of movies lately.

Now, for their real competition, I'm getting more and more excited about Penguins of Madagascar, even though they went movie-verse for this one (understandably). Not as much as I am for Hero, but I've always quite enjoyed Madagascar and their animated spinoff. I have also noticed that the Penguins have become the stars, marketing wise, and I've heard almost nothing about the celebrity voice cast. I know Benedict Cumberbatch is in it somewhere (that wolf leader maybe?), but it's nice to know the main stars of the film are all animation staff and maybe John DiMaggio if Rico has any mumbles and grunts (I hope he does). Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that Jeff Glen Bennet isn't Kowalski. With all do respect to the animator that voiced him in the films, Jeff did a much better job and even made the character his own. But then again, the key word is "movie," so naturally, they're going with the original movie VA.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Big Hero 6 is a film you need to see. Stop what you're doing and go see it immediately.

Big Hero 6 was a visually stunning masterpiece and a brilliant story with a fantastic cast of characters. There's so much great humor in this film, and exciting action sequences. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun at a movie before. I really enjoyed this film.

When you see the movie, please share your thoughts below

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Almost forgot...when you see the movie, stay until the END of the credits for a seriously amazing additional scene. It's awesome. You do not want to miss it.