TMS outline- Peter Lorre!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Who performed these characters?

-ghosts: Richard and Louise in the cold opening, Steve in the opening number (Wembley/Rizzo voice) and Fozzie's monologue (in sort of a Murray the Minstrel voice), Kathy in Vet's Hospital (for a 'boy meets ghoul' joke, following on from a line from Peter at the close of Fozzie's monologue- "I've always been popular with the ghouls."), Dave in Bear on Patrol, and Jerry in the S&W bits (low eerie voice)
-Alice Cooper Band members: the same ones who performed them in the Alice Cooper episode, of course :smile:
-girl monster from "Personality": doesn't speak
-Season 5 Frackles: various; in the UK Spot, Jim is the purple Frackle and Steve is the blue-green one; Kathy plays the girl who's getting eaten (like I said, same character from the Glenda Jackson episode)
-Dog Lion: Dave
-Big Mama: Louise
-Scoffs: don't speak individually
-Whatnot girl who sings "Tall Paul": Louise, in a kind of Annie Sue voice
-Behemoth: Richard
-Heaps: Frank and Dave
-Purple People Eater: squeaky voice like "Alexander Beetle" in the Debbie Harry ep.
-Giant Chicken: Peter Lorre

I believe Angus McGonagle, Droop, Phoob, and Mulch are reprised by Jerry Nelson. Right?
All except the Phoob. Phoob is Frank in this one.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

P

Princeton

Fantastic as usual, Dave! Couple of questions, though(and don't worry, I don't ask Philip Kippel kinds of questions):

- What is the origin of "A Cup Of Coffee, A Sandwich. And You"? Is it a pop song? If so, by who? Or is it a show tune? If so, from what musical?
- What's next on the great Gorgon Heap's list of outlines? The only reason I ask is so I know what I'm looking forward to.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about doing a early Season 2 style TMS outline with Bing Crosby, in honor of Christmas?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Princeton said:
Fantastic as usual, Dave! Couple of questions, though(and don't worry, I don't ask Philip Kippel kinds of questions):

- What is the origin of "A Cup Of Coffee, A Sandwich. And You"? Is it a pop song? If so, by who? Or is it a show tune? If so, from what musical?
I don't know, actually. I thought it was "A Cup of Tea, a Cookie, and You" because when I first heard it, that line was sung by Witch Hazel in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Later I recalled that Groucho mentioned the song, "A Cup of Coffee, a Sandwich, and You", but I thought his was the made-up title (you know Groucho).

I do know that the song is pretty old. I just did a lookup, and I found that the song was written by Joseph Meyer and Billy Rose, and was a barbershop standard (I shouldn't be surprised, I sing in a rising quartet myself) recorded by such quartets as the Buffalo Bills, the 139th Street Quartet, and the Square Pegs, and was apparently recorded by Jeff Healey more recently, and may have begun its life in Charlot's Revue of 1926 (at least that's the earliest date I can find for it).

- What's next on the great Gorgon Heap's list of outlines? The only reason I ask is so I know what I'm looking forward to.
Not sure. I could finish the Sid Caesar one you and I were working on (which really doesn't need much more to be done, I just haven't had the time for a while to work on any outlines), and I'm thinking of dredging up the Leon Redbone outline idea. I'll have to do some more research for that one tho.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Bump.

Any favorite parts?

P

Philip Kippel

Well, I liked the musical numbers ("Tall Paul", "Purple People Eater", etc.).

And the Bear on Patrol skit was a pretty clever idea.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
A note/correction: the canteen scene should read as such:

Gorgon Heap said:
CANTEEN: The Muppets are preparing their costumes and filling out their contest entries. Kermit laments to Scooter that "the only thing worse than having a costume contest was letting Gonzo be the judge. He's upstairs practicing his ribbon pin."

Gonzo (O.S.): "Ouch!"

Kermit: "Hasn't quite got it perfected."

Sam decries the costume contest to Kermit, and upon seeing a figure wearing an ugly monster face mask, he huffily removes it, only to discover that the mask looks exactly like the face underneath it. He runs away screaming.
The backstage scene following would then center on just Angus and Kermit.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Just thought of something to add to this one: in the closing number, during one of the musical interludes between choruses, the Devil floats up out of the ground, saying to Peter, "Hey, I'M the soul man around here. I always thought you was a leg man", or maybe just the "leg man" part.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
The more I think about it, perhaps "Soul Man" should just take place on the bare stage set, a la Paul Simon's closing number, Diana Ross's 2nd number, etc.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Halloween bump. Yeah, the Devil and minions emerge from a trap door during the closing number, with the following exchange:

Devil: "Hey, I'm the soul man around here!"
Minion: "I always thought you was a leg man, boss."

(The Devil snarls. He and the minions retreat back down the trap door.)