Songs You Can't Stand

Drtooth

Reaction score
It doesn't make things better that most of the phones used in the video are iPhones, and I'm not very fond of Apple's influence to younger folks.

There's a reason. Cracked broke it down essentially like this... Music videos were designed to sell albums. No one buys albums anymore, there's no point to them, they only get exposure on Youtube, and to make their budget, they resort to product placement. Not to mention that most are done on the cheap anyway, and look like garbage instead of the imaginative music videos of yore.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I never thought I'd actually feel nostalgic for the music videos of days gone by. Once in a blue moon MTV (Music To Vomit by) would show something with artistic merit (Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer", for instance). But by and large videos were conceived and executed not to create works of art, but to " move more units of product". Might as well be selling baked beans.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's really no point in making music videos anymore if everyone's just downloading songs vs buying albums. That's why MTV turned into crappy reality shows. There's no point in marketing anything that can't be sold. And the ones that pop up on Youtube (the only place to see them) have like zero budget since.. again, no point selling something no one's buying.

And it is a shame since ever bad songs had some fun videos. What I really miss are animated ones. I do NOT like Bjork or Byork or Bork Bork or whatever her name is, but Spumco provided an awesome video for one of her songs. And of course, there's nothing like the primitive CGI animation of Money for Nothing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's really no point in making music videos anymore if everyone's just downloading songs vs buying albums. That's why MTV turned into crappy reality shows. There's no point in marketing anything that can't be sold. And the ones that pop up on Youtube (the only place to see them) have like zero budget since.. again, no point selling something no one's buying.
A shame, too. Like I said before, digital media shouldn't have to be the end-all be-all, as it comes with its own host of problems.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's so much lost in translation from physical to download and streaming. You lose a lot of cool stores that way, for one. It's bad enough that the music all sounds the same. Must the videos look all the same (and boring) as well?

Anyway, I could pick on top 40 stuff old and new... but if there's ONE song that gets me to turn into the Hulk, it's this commercial...

You've been warned. It's awful. Just... terrible. And they use "Zip Zoom, all around da room" too many times.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's a reason. Cracked broke it down essentially like this... Music videos were designed to sell albums. No one buys albums anymore, there's no point to them, they only get exposure on Youtube, and to make their budget, they resort to product placement. Not to mention that most are done on the cheap anyway, and look like garbage instead of the imaginative music videos of yore.
I would argue OK Go's are imaginative.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would argue OK Go's are imaginative.
I don't know what's up with them. They might have more control over what their videos are, as they make their videos as internet videos. I think they were known more for their internet video...

But yeah, the professional standard music video is usually made on the cheap, and they're usually dance parties or some crap like that. Unless they have creative sway, like Weird Al's Internet Leaks animation videos. I wonder if he hired them or those animators reached out to him and asked... I dunno. But they were awesome, especially Spumco's "Close but no Cigar."

Drtooth

Reaction score
There is one song that makes me long for the spring and summer months of this year when "Because I'm Happy" was being thoroughly worn out by everyone possible, and a while year after it was actually used in a movie.

If I hear "I'm gonna make this place your home" one more time.... Seriously. STOP wearing out songs from movies.