New VeggieTales series "In the House" coming to Netflix Nov. 26, 2014

antsamthompson9

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering I casually watched a few episodes and dug it, but am otherwise not a big fan, it really seems like much ado about nothing. Only thing that sounds like an issue is the thing about autistic kids being weirded out by their new eyes. The only thing I see is the original primitive CGI being updated with something more big budget and professional looking. Some of the first ones, being an indie studio at the time, looked like the Money for Nothing music video.

Seems that the franchise is partly in the original creators' hands. But I have faith in Doug TenNapel... dude created Earthworm Jim! That's a lot of talent right there. If there was any issues with change, it should have started with the bankruptcy and aquisition.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Not a fan of the new looks (they look more like spoof caricatures), but I don't watch the newer videos so I guess it's moot.

I enjoy the primitive CGI of the earlier ones; it has a charm to it.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The new looks are gonna take getting used to. But I think they look pretty cool. The only ones who look significantly different are the French Peas and Pa Grape.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
At least Mr. Lunt hasn't changed a bit...:stick_out_tongue:

Erm, I don't think I'm wild about the updated looks of these characters, but like what @antsamthompson9 had said, I need to somehow get used to them. This Netfilx series looks pretty adorable, though.:stick_out_tongue:

By the way, I had no idea the lead female was Petunia!:smile: I thought it was that girl from the Beauty and the Beet episode.:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You have to admit, at least Dreamworks cared enough about the franchise to do something with it. They own all these Classic Media owned characters, and other than a Peabody and Sherman movie and a Bullwinkle cartoon (that's ONLY available on the crappy super duper 3-D Blu-Ray disk), they haven't announced anything, let alone have plans for anything. There's talk of a Hot Stuff movie, but I don't think that's gonna happen (please! We need a reboot-or rather deboot Underdog film). They could have just buried this with Toonsylvania (which is due for a Netflix release in the US, but doesn't have one).

Veggietales is essentially the only major Christian entertainment program that made it mainstream. All owed to the fact they made them fun, accessible, and not preachy. Unlike most which have some...ehhh.. unfortunate ulterior motives and are made on the cheap that manage to scare off even Christian audiences. As long as it manages to keep the fun, wacky, people pleasing antics, I'm sure this will be a good hit. I'd also like to add that I'm pleased that Dreamworks is partnering up with Netflix for original series like Turbo F.A.S.T. (which gives a whole new lease on life for the movie, and it's far better as well) and the upcoming All Hail King Julien. Even managed to give long forgotten Father of the Pride a home for reruns. There's a lot of potential there. Just, seriously... put Toonsylvania on the darn thing!!!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
In case you guys are wondering, the big green guy with white hair isn't Mr. Nezzer. He's out of the Netflix show because, Dreamworks has a policy to have real ethic actors for the ethnic voices. As Phil explains here at 30:04:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I never watched Veggietales as a kid. I watched PBS, Nickelodeon, Playhouse Disney, and Disney Channel.