West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
That's pretty much what MWoO did (take from the original books, as opposed to the movie), yet all everybody ever does is complain about how bad it was, when it was a heckuva lot better than IAVMMCM.

I actually preferred Very Merry (sorry, don't have the patience for that long an acronym) over Oz, but I did enjoy Oz (more so than The Muppets, and please, everyone, spare me the "OMG-The-Muppets-was-great-how-dare-you-say-something-like-that comments," because it's getting old. Oz at least made me laugh more than once).

I've heard about Space Jam 2 (saw that it's in the works last week on my Facebook newsfeed). I don't really see the point of that; the first Space Jam came out when I was 9 (it's a favorite of mine), and I'll be 27 this year! Why wait so long for a sequel?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Space Jam isn't a well liked movie, and Looney Tunes isn't a well liked property by Warner Bros. I remember back in the 90's you couldn't punt a football and not hit someone wearing a Looney Tunes shirt. They've been starting to give them some love recently because of The Looney Tunes Show, but I'm more surprised the rumors aren't of a 3rd Theatrical Scooby-Doo, since they LOVE their Scooby-Doo over there.

Though I did see an increase in Marvin the Martian shirts when his solo movie (which never went anywhere but test footage) was announced.

But considering they announce a Looney Tunes film reboot that never happens every couple of years, I don't think Space Jam 2 is anything but distant rumors that were somehow officialized. Somehow, I just picture Cracked having a "B.S. Stories that fool your friends" entry about this.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
This is what I think happened with Space Jam 2 (just my speculation): the screenwriters approached LeBron James' agent with their pitch, and the agent gave a non-committal answer like "well, we'd need to see the script before giving any answer". The screenwriters got too excited after that, leaked the talks, and then LeBron James and his team decided to deny the rumor because they didn't want to be tied to a project that could turn out to be a giant bomb.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Either that, or more likely, what happened with the alleged Sesame Street movie.

To wit (or is it to whit): the rumors circulating about the interest of a movie wound up like a telephone game with hearsay and wild guesses and turned into an official story involving specific people. Yet, when those specific people were asked for a comment (or found out about the story), not only were they not contacted by the production company, they never even heard that there was the intent to make those movies in the first place.

For every wild movie story, most of them go unproduced and completely abandoned. Space Jam did so so when it came out, maybe made a little pocket cash on the merchandising... I doubt there's anything strong about that movie that wants a sequel. Especially since you'd think they'd stay the heck away from a live action Looney Tunes movie after BIA.

That said, I've been hearing rumors of a third Bill and Ted movie, and how the actors really want to get that out there. But I just haven't heard any updates about it, so it doesn't sound like it's actually going to happen. And since the actor who plays Rufus is dead, I don't see how they're going to take care of that business. Recasting, fake Shemp, or replacing... none of them sound that great.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A third NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM movie... why am I not surprised? I mean, honestly, it's painfully obvious Ben Stiller's coloring his gray hair to keep from looking like he's aged almost ten years since the first one, and it seems a little disorienting to see Robin Williams in a new movie just months after his unfortunate death.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A third NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM movie... why am I not surprised? I mean, honestly, it's painfully obvious Ben Stiller's coloring his gray hair to keep from looking like he's aged almost ten years since the first one, and it seems a little disorienting to see Robin Williams in a new movie just months after his unfortunate death.
I saw the trailer for it not even a week after his death and it was just a depressing affair to watch. I don't know if Night at the Museum is strong enough to become a trilogy, and I only saw the second because of the Oscar and Vader scene (which was totally worth seeing on the big screen).