Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Dantecat

Reaction score
Another Song From The Beatles on Sesame Street sang "Help"

A Spanish Version is on youtube GonzoLeaper

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. It's been a while since I've heard the song, but at least the title "I Wanna Hold Your Ear" seems to evoke the Beatles' classic- but yeah, I do recall that the tune is quite different.
Fooled me when I first saw the Sesame Road album, too. I don't think it had anything to do with it, despite the similar title... In fact, Bert was added to the recorded version. it wasn't even a Bert song to begin with either...

Yep. It's one of the earlier Anything Muppet bits where they put on and pull off facial features.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks for the video link- I love those classic Muppet songs and skits from the early days of Sesame Street where they did more of the facical rearrangement bits and the explosions and monsters eating Muppets and so forth.:grr:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yep. It's one of the earlier Anything Muppet bits where they put on and pull off facial features.
A while back I pointed out how it seems like the weirdest sketches on Sesame Street are not Muppet segments but animation (like the one with the duck brushing his teeth or the "Arthur and Annie look for A" bit or maybe "Cracks"), but this is probably one of the weirdest Muppet bits on the show.

Unlike other early segments where Anything Muppet faces are decorated, this one is not decorated by a human but by a Muppet. It almost seems like the girl is a robot or something invented by the character, as she seems to be lifeless until her facial features are put on (and is still alive once they are taken off). It's kind of funny how she doesn't seem concerned that he's taking parts of her face off, or worried about appearance (could this be a good commentary on how women shouldn't care about their appearance?). It seems like he's only interested in her for her appearance, but he doesn't act egotistical about having the woman he likes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Way off topic, but while I don't dislike those moments, at least the funnier ones like that specific song, it does kinda take away from the show's illusion. It really takes you out of the moment and you know you're watching a puppet show. I enjoy it as long as its played for laughs, but I don't much care for the earliest bits where one of the adult humans puts them together. I'm glad that was abandoned quickly.

But Bert's nose getting pulled off is always a riot.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently saw that the Muppet Wiki article on this song now has info on why the song stopped airing early on, sourcing a 1998 interview with Joan Ganz Cooney (so the information has been out there for a long time...): It was all because of the rumor that the initials were meant to be LSD.

Which I knew the controversy, but never really put together that that's why it was pulled (and looking through this thread before posting this, I saw that a few have talked about it, one person even doubted that's why it was pulled). I thought maybe it was believed to not have any real educational value (I don't really know what it's teaching), or maybe they thought the bright colors were too distracting or too bright/seizure-y.

gravy

Reaction score
I thought maybe it was believed to not have any real educational value (I don't really know what it's teaching), or maybe they thought the bright colors were too distracting or too bright/seizure-y.
Possibly abstract thinking?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Cloud Nine" is another song that's believed to be about drugs as well.