The Chipmunks

Drtooth

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well this sucks. I don't know for sure, but I've heard some speculation that The Hub was actually going to be airing the 80s cartoon series sometime early in 2015, and I know there's been petitioning (not in the literal sense, mind you) for The Hub to also start airing THE GREAT SPACE COASTER since there's renewed interest in it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is off topic and all, but I honestly don't see how a bunch of bland nature and career oriented shows (while not confirmed, it's the most likely thing they'd throw on the network) are going to get this network the ratings it wants. Rerunning 80's programs was the appeal of The Hub, along with the Hasbro based programming. Weak infotainment shows aren't going to make this the banner network, and if anything they're likely to lose viewers as rebranding the network was trying to get people to actually tune into a buried network in the first place.

And think about it. Even the reruns were well loved. New promo material with Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Tiny Toons, ALF, and especially Fraggle Rock... Most with their original actors doing new material! What do they expect to accomplish with lame Discovery oriented programming that they couldn't with ALF reruns and movies (that are a shell of a lot better than what CN dumps on Flicks... I mean Marmaduke?!?!). Yeah, I get that kid's programming is incredibly unprofitable for some reason (that FCC crap doesn't apply to cable, so there's no excuse for that), and there are literally more networks that carry Animal Atlas than original children's programming. But really?!?! There are 3 networks that even bother anymore, each with their own hard to find/distribute one off channels that don't get good ratings anyway... and they're not that spectacular. So yeah, what do they plan to accomplish with crappy programming they couldn't with good programming that wasn't Pony related?

So yeah. Enjoy pirating the new Chipmunks show or waiting 3 years after the entire world besides us gets it if you want to do it legally.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, Brazil is finally going to be getting the show, so now that leaves North America as the only territory that still has no definitely channel/airdate/whatever.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Delightful. I'm sure none of the three kid's networks or their second networks would touch it. At least for a good three years or so.

You'd think with a series of successful movies reviving the characters, networks would be jumping to get this on the air. OH! That's right! They're all run by people who hate kids and wish they were running MTV in the 90's. Duh!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, now wait a minute... what level was the success of the movies? Sure, it kind of renewed interest in the franchise, and stirred up the fandom, but really, those movies were kind of critically panned. The movies have resulted in something of a broken base: there are some fans who liked them simply because they're that die-hard into the franchise, and then there are some who find them to be a travesty to the franchise (and tey're the ones who have not-so-affectionately dubbed the movie version of the characters, "CGI rats"). But again, critics seem to mostly pan the movies: the first one was pretty much meh, Squeakquel was a given for The Chipettes (and Jason Lee clearly didn't want to be in it), nobody was jumping for joy over Chipwrecked (and again, even David Cross said it was a trainwreck), and headdesks can be heard 'round the world over the upcoming fourth.

North American television has been obsessed with sex for a long time now, but now it seems like all networks want specifically at this point is shows about inexperienced people desperately looking for ways to lose their virginity (y'know, 'cause, like, according to today's society, being a virgin makes you a *****). That and genre throwbacks to the 90s and the Turn of the Millennium (*cough*CRISTELA*cough*).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, now wait a minute... what level was the success of the movies? Sure, it kind of renewed interest in the franchise, and stirred up the fandom, but really, those movies were kind of critically panned. The movies have resulted in something of a broken base: there are some fans who liked them simply because they're that die-hard into the franchise, and then there are some who find them to be a travesty to the franchise (and tey're the ones who have not-so-affectionately dubbed the movie version of the characters, "CGI rats"). But again, critics seem to mostly pan the movies: the first one was pretty much meh, Squeakquel was a given for The Chipettes (and Jason Lee clearly didn't want to be in it), nobody was jumping for joy over Chipwrecked (and again, even David Cross said it was a trainwreck), and headdesks can be heard 'round the world over the upcoming fourth.
Yeah, but look at it this way. The things made money and that's what matters. Transformers didn't have 4 movies because no one saw them, regardless of what the critics said. If a movie makes money, why not ride those successful coattails. Whatever anyone can say about The Chipmunks, it was highly influential because the first one was a surprise success. Look at The Smurfs, Yogi Bear, and Marmaduke. Other than the fact The Smurfs was in development for a while, none of those pieces of crap would have been made had The Chipmunks not been a cash cow. Heck, second film successfully split the audience of Princess and the Frog. So a cartoon series should have been a given (though they really should have got it in development closer to Chipwrecked).

The problem is, more or less, that out of three major cable networks that still run kid's programming, none of them want to snatch that money up (yet if it came to the movies, they'd run all three all day if they could...CN ran the heck out of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie all summer...then Nick got it). Now, before I go on another Discovery Family rant, the network still runs cartoons/Hasbro shows 12 hours a day. It's still a good fit and it won't encroach on the lame engineering and Nature shows that are somehow a bigger draw than movies and sitcom reruns. Other than that, it smacks of the same problems I've been speaking to of the decline of Children's television outlets.

Then again, I'd say it could find a home on Netflix or hulu.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lots and lots of screencaps from the new show keep being released, which is all well and good, but I'm confused about something: The Chipettes are obviously living in their old treehouse again, yet Vanessa Bagdasarian has confirmed that Miss Miller actually will be part of the new show... in the form of "cameos." So, I really don't know the nature of all of this.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Also, Vanessa Bagdasarian will be voicing Eleanor in this series.. a good friend of mine actuallyed talked to her on Facebook. I have no clue what to think of that. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, we apparently finally have an premiere date for the U.S.: April 10.

However, there's still no word as to what channel this will be on - it apparently isn't Nick, because there's nothing on their site that would indicate ALVINNN!!! is coming.