Most Obnoxious Fandoms

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've never even heard of that brand name, lol.

Even if the F word didn't have that negative connotation, it's still not exactly the most pleasant sounding word. Not sure why you'd use it to sell food!

Eyeball

Reaction score
I belleive its called that because its an old west country/devonshire term for a meatball made of minced castoffs like the heart, liver and belly fat.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a cultural thing, let's leave it at that.

But seriously... go to Youtube and look up the commercials. They're so inappropriately funny that you'll laugh but kinda feel bad about it. And, honestly, what makes it truly horrible (in a funny way) is what pork is a euphemism for.

But we're getting wildly off topic here. I almost forgot how we got here, honestly.

Anyway, I'm sure the Sonic the Hedgehog fandom proved how awful they are when Sonic Boom came out. Half of them probably complained that it isn't Sonic SatAm, and the other half probably complained that it wasn't SatAm, but they drew furry erotica of Sticks the Badger anyway. No wonder Sticks is so paranoid. :big_grin: But they're probably right about the game, though. Sega really should have learned its lesson from rushing out the '06 game.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
But we're getting wildly off topic here. I almost forgot how we got here, honestly.

Anyway, I'm sure the Sonic the Hedgehog fandom proved how awful they are when Sonic Boom came out. Half of them probably complained that it isn't Sonic SatAm, and the other half probably complained that it wasn't SatAm, but they drew furry erotica of Sticks the Badger anyway. No wonder Sticks is so paranoid. :big_grin: But they're probably right about the game, though. Sega really should have learned its lesson from rushing out the '06 game.
I actually thought we were going to talk about gruesome anime instead of taboo language but there you go.

The Sonic fandom is really the reason why I stopped reading the comics. I only watched the SatAM show and I liked the stories and characters so I was happy they were going with that in the comics while still having stuff from the video games too. Everybody's happy, right? Right??

Seriously, all the fans I've come across (except from a personal friend of mine) seem to just complain and moan about how terrible the games were and leered over the female characters. Especially Sally. Poor Sally.

IDK, maybe I'll pick it up again one day but I still get war flashbacks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Sonic fandom is really the reason why I stopped reading the comics. I only watched the SatAM show and I liked the stories and characters so I was happy they were going with that in the comics while still having stuff from the video games too. Everybody's happy, right? Right??

Seriously, all the fans I've come across (except from a personal friend of mine) seem to just complain and moan about how terrible the games were and leered over the female characters. Especially Sally. Poor Sally.
I have to admit, they aren't completely wrong about the video games. They rushed out that game in '06, and it seems the Boom tie in game has the same rushed through, unfinished problems. If you rush out the games, you wind up damaging your reputation. They've made strides since 06, only to blow things up with the cartoon based ones. The ones that just don't like any of the games aside of that fact for not being Sonic and Knuckles are a different story... though, frankly I never cared much for 3-D platformers either.

Also, while I admit they have a point about Sonic X, it's painfully obvious that they've never seen a kid's anime before. They have no clue about the heavily mandated audience surrogate kid appeal character they force into these kinds of shows in Japan. Especially since Ganbare Goemon and Mega Man (the OVA's about Japanese culture made for Japanese kids... there's a logic gap there) beat Sonic to Chris type characters for years. They always need that odd kid that steals the focus that's a 10 year old student. It's an annoying trope, but the only thing significant about Chris was that he was American instead of a Japanese school student. Like they wanted to make it for the Western audience but at the same time they didn't get that we don't really like audience surrogate characters.

But the worst part is the leering while hating any new characters. That said, my personal beef is where the heck is the love for Eggman?! Internet Memes aside, the merchandising and everything Sonic related only goes to the anthro characters. And I like me Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and the three main Chaotix, Robotnik/Eggman stuff was scarce. Makes no sense. I love me some Robotnik/Eggman. You can always find King Koopa and his Troopas in the Mario merchandise.

Slackbot

Reaction score
*chuckles* the Sonic fandom. Ahhhh, that takes me back. Remember the Ken Penders/Gntrmn (deliberate misspelling to mislead Google) kerfuffle? I was a spectator to that, um, spectacle. Truly fandom at its worst. It was like a train wreck; nearly impossible to look away.

Gntrmn did a number of Sonic comics which centered around, of course, his self-insert. Under a pseudonym I MiSTed several of them. This was back when he enjoyed the attention of being MiSTed. When he started getting upset about being MiSTed (due to a particularly nasty MiST that was definitely not one of mine) I stopped.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. Ken Penders. I've only recently got back into the Sonic comics due to the Genesis arc, and just dropped it for monetary reasons, but will get back to it once the Fraggle BOOM series is over, and plan to try to get the last 3 issues I missed when they have a sale at my local comic chain. But I know all about Pender's meddling and how it was just easier to reboot the comic. Frankly, I didn't notice or care much of a difference. It sucks the one about the Tasmanian Devil character got screwed up because they'd have to pay him for characters he created in the Sonic Universe. Which is a strange deal as most of the time you create something for a copyrighted publication either the publishing company or the licensee own the characters. Saban then Disney owned any original character created for The Tick's animated series (leaving the live action show with lousy expies). I say, considering the damage Penders's law suit did to the series, it's a fitting middle finger from Archie.

Personally, I'm more annoyed at Sega's mandates, putting cartoon based characters further and further behind and not using anything from two of the three original cartoon shows and the video games. While I dislike Sonic Underground with a passion, I'm disappointed they didn't get to print that fully absorbed finale to it and just poorly reprinted the 25th issue after a story about Metal Sonic.

I have a feeling I know what you're talking about with the self inserts, but at the same time it escapes me. Like I said, I haven't followed the comic until the anniversary bit, and even then I was just going to collect those ones and kept going.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Basically, Gntrmn inserted himself into every story he did at that time and had it all revolve around him. The best example of it was in his Sailor Moon comics. BTW, these were drawn about 20 years ago...and if you look at his current art you'll see no noticeable improvement. *sigh*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh! With Space Ghost! Awesome.

Okay! I was way off. I thought it was a rival Sonic comic writer who wrote some bad issues with weird insert characters in there.

As for the Sonic Fandom... it's weird that in certain places AOSTH gets so much hate because it's not SatAm. And I'll agree it's not as good as SatAm, but it really feels like some generational thing. Video Game cartoons were always kinda weird and went on tangents, but in the 80's and 90's we accepted that stuff. It seems that most of those that have seen AOSTH retrospectively don't seem to get the idea the series wasn't supposed to take itself seriously and was supposed to be stupid with wacky sight gags. They hired some ex-Ren and Stimpy animators, or at least John K collaborators for the show (Kenneth Butterworth and Eddie Fitzgerald are major players), and the wonky animation has its charm. It was completely intentional that Tails and Sonic were kinda flat and Dr. Robotnik was as over the top as possible because it was going for a retro cartoon feel. It's not a great series and the animation tends to vary between sort of getting it and almost of getting it, but it was never meant to be anything more than goofy.