The Sonic Boom Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
One of the latest episodes was the old "My Fair Lady" stock plots where Sticks learns to ditch her feral behavior and act like a proper lady at a ceremonial dinner. Nothing crazy, but the writers did manage to deliver plenty of jabs at fine dining along the way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone not surprised about the revelation that the tie in game was rushed out? Seriously, I'm beating a dead horse on this one, but it seems that they cared about the date of the franchise launch more than the games based on it, and even that's more care than sticking a show that early in the morning with almost no advertising.

They did actually get one promo for the show in, but I only saw it once.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm more amazed that the game is getting worse reviews than Sonic 06. But I guess Sonic 06 has going for it that even though its a terrible, unfinished game, there is an element of enjoyment to it in seeing how badly you can break the game. Plus, at the core gameplay, its still a sonic game.

Sonic Boom seems...very generic and just meh. There's nothing noteworthy or special about it, coupled with lots of bugs that just make the game monotonous. At least the wii version.

I did play the demo for the 3DS and again. It's just meh. Nothing is noteworthy about it and the level dragged on for too long.

I have yet to watch the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd recommend it myself, but I don't know if you'd like it, specifically.

The cartoon is quite a lot of fun, you kinda have to look past the fact they Simon Belmonted Knuckles. Then again, the dark brooding loner aspect of the character was getting tiresome, and Sonic Underground translated that into Knuckles being a little emo (I want to say the B word). I kinda like him being an egotistical lunkhead.

Seems like this game is unfinished and I heard that developers knew it was going to have things wrong with it and left. That sucks because this is the second time a company tried to launch a cartoon and tie in game where the game was looked down upon. The other being Pac-Man, and while the game play doesn't look great nor terrible, I give it credit for all the continuity the game has with the cartoon. Too bad they were too cheap to have the same already low priced Canadian voice actors for that one.

Now the third aspect is a comic book, which I unfortunately haven't picked up. I don't really plan to, unless I can get them cheaper, but they seem to be pretty funny from the previews.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The cartoon is quite a lot of fun, you kinda have to look past the fact they Simon Belmonted Knuckles. Then again, the dark brooding loner aspect of the character was getting tiresome, and Sonic Underground translated that into Knuckles being a little emo (I want to say the B word). I kinda like him being an egotistical lunkhead.
That and Robotnik in SU had nothing special going for him, unlike the large ham from Adventures or the so-evil-he-gets-off-to-it version from SatAM. Sleet and Dingo were at least entertaining to watch.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is they used the Jim Cummings Robotnik, and Jim gave him a very disturbing tone of voice. I'd say it was his most terrifying role. Especially when he had a slow burn, the stuttering and stammering and trying to regain breath put a lot of dangerousness in his voice. While I do like Gary Chalk, he doesn't quite have the range to do that, and it took a lot out of the character. But over all, SU was pretty bleh. I like the idea of Sonic having 2 other lost siblings, but other than that, they just blew the concept of the show. And frankly, it was a genius concept, but they played it too safe. Not that it didn't have its moments, but it feels like they were trying to make this a TV/EI show but it didn't quite qualify.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... I'd almost admit that CN actually knew this was a prime slot for Saturday mornings at any rate... but then again, their love of TTG to the point of putting it on Boomerang (yeah... they do) because they don't think they air it enough makes me think the opposite.

But great to see the key demo is keeping this show going. It's a fun little show, and it seems to be fairing much better than the broken video games. Dunno about the comics or the toy line's status... I'm just glad Cubot and Orbot get a figure set. In a short while, they've grown to be a couple of my favorite Sonic characters. Glad to see they've been continued since Sonic Colors and weren't just one shots.

Now if only the next season of the show manages to get in the Lost World characters as well...

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I just saw 2 episodes. Talk about humor! It's like they're trying their hardest to break the 4th wall, and they're doing a really good job of it. The show is very hilarious. I love it! Knuckles doesn't seem like the meanie he originally was. It's a really great show so far.