TV Alert: Sesame Street at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Aw man...go ahead and criticize me, but I wish that Lady Gaga and the Muppets special would air again. I don't know why...I just like the feeling of watching a muppet appearance after another on a holiday like this.:stick_out_tongue:

Last edited:

Luke

Reaction score
Really enjoyed it, the Thanksgiving Parade always kicks off Christmas. Always good to see the furry guys on form at the Sesame float

mr3urious

Reaction score
An interesting surprise was when they announced the float, they played an instrumental version of the current opening theme! Very interesting how it took five years for NBC to finally start playing the current theme now.
They refreshingly changed up the Pokemon and SpongeBob appearance music, too, using the actual theme songs as opposed to instrumental versions of the original anime theme and the "F.U.N. Song", respectively. Props to NBC for that. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
They refreshingly changed up the Pokemon and SpongeBob appearance music, too, using the actual theme songs as opposed to instrumental versions of the original anime theme and the "F.U.N. Song", respectively. Props to NBC for that. :smile:
I think the companies the balloons have been licensed from are the ones that supply the music. What makes it incredibly obvious is when Disney's Spider-Man balloon went by, they chose to use the Ultimate Spider-Man end theme. Not to mention the copy they read had absolutely no mention of the last Spider-Man movie.

Disappointed Sonic was dumped this parade, and I'll say what I say every year... A) Bro-Country is the worst music ever and B) Seriously, Nintendo, why the heck not a Mario balloon instead of Pikachu?! I've been wanting a Mario balloon in that thing since I was little.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That was unusual: when they started the parade, they did NOT play the signature theme to "New York, New York" like they have for previous years. Instead they got a new theme song. What was up with that?
I agree. I hated that they played that song with the word 'he**' in it. This parade is supposed to be family friendly. Hopefully, they'll go back to the standard, "New York, New York" song next year.

Of note, Ernie's new puppeteer voiced him in this appearance, so maybe that is an indication that SW has seriously recast him owing to Steve's obligations in performing Kermit.
Yeah. I noticed that was Billy's Ernie too. But I think it's a little too soon to determine whether this is permanent change or not. Steve may just be busy with other projects.

That was Rosita! It's been a while since she had a solo in the parade, I think.
Just out of curiosity, why did her voice sound different there? That was still Carmen, hopefully. Again, not trying to be paranoid about this, but I'm just curious. Maybe her Mexican accent just didn't work for the song they were singing or something like that.

Wow I love seeing the Sesame float and song every year! This was a new song, according to Sesame's Facebook feed. I don't mean to throw a monkey into the fire, but to me Ernie sounded like Steve, but I have only heard Billy once, so I may be wrong.
Well, that's understandable. Billy's gradually getting better as Ernie, but I think he still needs work. I knew right away that it wasn't Steve

Disappointed Sonic was dumped this parade, and I'll say what I say every year... A) Bro-Country is the worst music ever and B) Seriously, Nintendo, why the hecknot a Mario balloon instead of Pikachu?! I've been wanting a Mario balloon in that thing since I was little.
Yeah. I know what you mean. I hate Pokemon with the fire of 1000 suns, I'd like to see other NES characters such as Mario or Yoshi or even Link or whoever.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mario is essentially the company's mascot. I get that Pokemon is one of their most popular brands. But it's just it... one of their brands. Maybe because there's a Pokemon Center in New York City? It totally needs to be Mario, though.

On that note, I'm surprised they went with the Eruptor Skylanders character. I always see the tree guy quite a bit. I don't follow the fandom and I don't know which one's the most popular, but I assumed it was the tree guy.

wiley207

Reaction score
Mario is essentially the company's mascot. I get that Pokemon is one of their most popular brands. But it's just it... one of their brands. Maybe because there's a Pokemon Center in New York City? It totally needs to be Mario, though.
Uh, I thought the Pokemon Center became "Nintendo World" in 2006, selling both Mario and Pokemon merchandise and other stuff as well. It was like that when I last went there in December 2006.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, it is? I knew there was a Nintendo World, but didn't know about the change. Never been to New York, actually.

But yeah. Mario should have a balloon, end of story.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
HQ version of their performance:

(If the embedd doesn't automatically go there, it starts around 52:00). Great song, I'll say.