Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, Jingle all the Way is a fun movie. But it's fun only due to the casting. AH-nold and Sinbad somehow managed to work great together, and the movie never took itself seriously. I saw bits of it the other day, and still love the sequence with the attacking Santas and Ah-nold pulling a bade out of no where to fake his way out as a cop.

Now, if they wanted to do a bigger budget one with Vin Diesel or The Rock in the role, while it would be a mission pack sequel at best, these are two action heroes that can manage to do humorous films. But they managed to forget the one thing that made the movie fun and cast not only a comedian, but one that goes out of his way to try to be funny and really isn't. Talk about your antithesis of the original. Quality wise, it's clearly a mission pack sequel with a teddy bear (that has a disturbing passing resemblance to Lotso to throw in an added level of uneasiness) instead of the Turboman... which, even then, ruins some of the movie's concept. After all, it was made when Power Rangers mania took off.

But as I said, when it comes to things like this, it's either sequel, reboot, or plagiarism. You will not believe how many Hallmark channel churned out Christmas movies are ripoffs of The Santa Clause.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Paul Blart is getting a sequel too. I'll admit, I actually did want to see the first one, because it looked mildly amusing, but I never got to see it, and usually if I miss out on a movie, then I end up losing interest in it altogether (I wanted to see Aardman's PIRATES! THE BAND OF MISFITS, but missed it as well, so I'm no longer interested)... so, I honestly don't know one way or another if PAUL BLART: MALL COP is even deserving of a sequel, but I'm not the least bit surprised it's getting one.

Honestly, name one movie in this day and age that doesn't have an unnecessary sequel or more.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a difference. Jingle all the Way is a throwaway sequel dumped to home video decades after the thing first came out. I don't see why Paul Blart's deserving of a sequel, but it would have been awesome if they shot it at the same mall the first one was in, because I go to that mall and I was there one of the days they were shooting! But I totally missed Kevin James coming out, since they used an abandoned store for one of the scenes, and as it was an extreme interior, there was no way to see what was going on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have no where to put this, actually... not the box office thread because it clearly didn't make any money or starting up a new thread because I don't want to even give it the credit.

But to no surprise, Kirk Cameron managed to be Kirk Cameron and made a completely idiotic film which can only be called A Magical Insane Troll Logic Christmas. I totally want to see this trainwreck. I would expect no less from the same guy who terrorized his Growing Pains co-stars forcing his values on the show. You know the "I wasn't a Christian, now I am, and I'm going to compensate by being a total jerk about it" kind that makes other religious people look bad.

Essentially the movie's message is this... actual quote:

Sure, don't max out your credit cards. But remember, this is a celebration of the eternal God taking on a material body. So it's right that our holiday is marked with material things.
The logic of a five year old losing an argument. That's the best way to sum it up. Not so much the logic of "while an unfortunate side effect, the material stuff does manage to keep the holiday alive," so much as "I can make a roundabout, pseudo-spiritual connection to things adopted from other old traditions to make a point about how great a Christian I am." WOW! If you wonder why Christians feel alienated in this country, it's jerks like Kirk who mistake piousness for pride. [/URL]Here's an essay absolutely slamming the heck out of his film... The funniest thing I read in a while.

Suffice to say, I hear all these old complaints about how "liberal" Hollywood is and how there's no conservative movies out there. A) There are, but those messages are in movies people actually want to see without it being a fact failing lecture (ie, about every 80's action movie... scratch that...most action movies period) and B) longwinded author tracts that trade facts for attitude and self-righteousness aren't exactly watchable, marketable, or even grabbing for an audience that agrees with them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
His behind the scenes antics with Growing Pains are enough for me. Yeah, he says he's changed. I believe him. He's gotten worse. Christian or not Christian, the guy's an egotistical skuzzbag no matter what. I love how much of an idiot he comes off with this film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... anyone bother with the Grumpy Cat movie? I sure as heck didn't, but I read the TV Tropes page about it.

Seems like this film is right up Tim Hill's alley, since it's all about some stupid crap that happens to the human characters who shouldn't be the focus of the movie, but are, and Grumpy Cat basically just snarks about how dumb the movie is. Somehow, that makes it sound better, and the cat supposedly even makes fun of it being a movie on Lifetime. Sounds like it could be a low end mixed bag if anything. I'm curious, but not enough to actually bother with it. But it HAS to be better than that obnoxious "Santa Hunters" Nickelodeon keeps 'ho-ing out every 10 seconds.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
So... anyone bother with the Grumpy Cat movie? I sure as heck didn't, but I read the TV Tropes page about it.

Seems like this film is right up Tim Hill's alley, since it's all about some stupid crap that happens to the human characters who shouldn't be the focus of the movie, but are, and Grumpy Cat basically just snarks about how dumb the movie is. Somehow, that makes it sound better, and the cat supposedly even makes fun of it being a movie on Lifetime. Sounds like it could be a low end mixed bag if anything. I'm curious, but not enough to actually bother with it. But it HAS to be better than that obnoxious "Santa Hunters" Nickelodeon keeps 'ho-ing out every 10 seconds.
It seemed like the special mostly focused on the human characters or maybe it just had too many characters.:stick_out_tongue: But still, nonetheless, I thought Grumpy was really cute and funny in this, I also thought Aubrey Plaza was hilarious and the perfect role for Grumpy.:smile: