New Kermit Replica

ashkent

Reaction score
It had to be done at some point, and as i found just enough scrap fleece I thought it was time to put together a quick Kermit. This was without much of a pattern, but other than a slightly too short face, a bit of a rough edge around the inside of his mouth and small feet, he came together quite well. I'm sure there will be another one when i have time in between other things.

Also, his colour was based more on the older Kermit puppets rather than the near fluorescent ones of the last couple of years.

ma0298

Reaction score
I have a question icce always wondered about kermit. Does he have foam of any thickness inside the head to support it? Also, that is a really good one :smile: keep up the great work!

ashkent

Reaction score
I have a question icce always wondered about kermit. Does he have foam of any thickness inside the head to support it? Also, that is a really good one :smile: keep up the great work!
I think it comes down to personal preference. The original Kermit did not have any padding, I think some of the more recent ones have. This one had a skull of foam cut to 1/4 inch just to hold the shape, so the back of the head is made up of hand.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Looks good! How did you do so well at hiding the seams? Specifically on his nose down the middle. Looks as though you may have not even had a seam there.....Did you do something differently than the usual Kermit pattern builds?

ashkent

Reaction score
Looks good! How did you do so well at hiding the seams? Specifically on his nose down the middle. Looks as though you may have not even had a seam there.....Did you do something differently than the usual Kermit pattern builds?
No nothing different. I took about four different patterns and mixed and matched various bits to come up with the one i used, but it still has the middle seam. I also used standard anti-pil polar fleece as i am waiting on new Antron fleece arriving (although i have found polar equally as good recently, especially with the range of colours available.)

The one thing i noticed on pretty much every tutorial done on the Henson stitch, even in the Stan Winston workshop by BJ Guyer, is that everyone stiches around four or five stitches, tighen then pick the seams. Instead i found it much better and more sensible to do the stitches, pull it to the point the thread becomes taught, and then start picking the seams while pulling it tighter. So you pull up more of the fleece than if you try to do it once the seam is tight. As you tighten the fleece you have picked is already outside the seam so never gets trapped and therefore is more natural to the fleece around it - you just need to make sure you don't pull it up too much or it goes the other way and you end up with clumps of clearly loose, roughed up fleece. It's a little more time consuming (takes about 90 seconds for every five stitches) but it's worth it when it works.

I keep meaning to do a short video, because it's something that is a lot easier to see than to explain.

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
No nothing different.......

I keep meaning to do a short video, because it's something that is a lot easier to see than to explain.
I'd love to see a video of you doing that. I'm impressed that you pulled that off the way you did. :smile: