Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

mr3urious

Reaction score
While definitely another topic for another thread, Pixar needs to be open to doing more half hour specials (with all their characters) than full on sequels. I have to admit, I dug what I've seen of the Cars based shorts. The general consensus is that Toy Story doesn't need a 4, and there's really no way to continue the series without it looking desperate... that is, unless we see more short stories and specials like this one. This special managed to accentuate what Toy Story is about without having to make a fourth movie. Why, they could very well have made this the fourth movie. They even had a nice little tie in to kids not playing with toys and going for electronic gizmos instead (something actually explored by a Sergio Aragonez comic in MAD). That could have been dragged out and bludgeoned to death in a film, where they went with something more subtle here.
I have to admit, I want those Battlesaurs. They seem to be partially based off the Dinosaucers, which was going to have a toyline but got scrapped as the show was canceled.

And yes. It was great to see the special focus on a character that wasn't used or explored much. Trixie seemed pretty undefined a role, and this special greatly expanded on that. This really should be a lesson for Pixar, as there were a lot of interesting Monsters University characters that didn't have enough development due to the run time. I'd love to see the Terrys or Art get their own focused special or short in due time.
Trixie's another Kristen Schaal character I really like. I'm glad she was finally given her day in the limelight. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, I want those Battlesaurs. They seem to be partially based off the Dinosaucers, which was going to have a toyline but got scrapped as the show was canceled.
Wal*Mart supposedly has a couple of the Battlesaurs as part of an exclusive toyline. They had an ad for it and everything. Kinda disappointed they aren't available at Disney Stores. Then again, I was also really disappointed that Small Fry was the only short they didn't make figures of. I really wanted that Eagle in the Declairation of Independence-mobile.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I thought Toy Story That Time Forgot was really cute. I'll definitely see it again whenever it'll rerun. The special has such a nice moral to it, and seeing Trixie and Rex's friendship again made me enjoy them even more.:smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I just watched How Murray Saved Christmas that aired a couple nights ago on NBC, and although it's not going to win any awards, it was a nice little special, and probably one of the better ones to come out in recent years. It's got great animation and a solid voice cast (Jerry Stiller, Jason Alexander, and Kevin Michael Richardson to name a few) and I like the concept of various holiday mascots living in a little Middle American town. It also had a nice twist near the middle that I'm not going to spoil.

Yorick

Reaction score
I just watched How Murray Saved Christmas that aired a couple nights ago on NBC, and although it's not going to win any awards, it was a nice little special, and probably one of the better ones to come out in recent years.
Yes it is! I highly recommend it! Jerry Stiller is wonderful in it, as usual!

Dinosaucers is cool!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This begs to be shared again, because it's hilarious, this guy really captures the essence that is Danny Stern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just watched How Murray Saved Christmas that aired a couple nights ago on NBC, and although it's not going to win any awards, it was a nice little special, and probably one of the better ones to come out in recent years.
You could really tell this was written by a Simpsons writer. It was pretty sharp stuff, and leaps and bounds over the batch of weaker, forgettable Christmas specials that have been churned out recently. I love how they went for character depth and wit instead of treacle and cliches. And yes, that twist in the middle made all the difference. I'm looking forward to that one next year. Might just buy the DVD.

I have to admit, as much as I didn't like the original film, I am looking forward to the Elf animated project. Somehow, I think Jim Parsons will work better in the role than Will Ferrel did. Of course, that's just a voice. But he does have an overly tall elf like quality to him when he's not being Sheldon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously, ELF is Will Ferrell's only good movie, for once he plays against the one-dimensional, unlikeable sketch show-esque type character and plays a sympathetic fish-out-of-water character who manages to endear himself to the audience and those around him... Jim Parsons will probably make him the Camp Gay Sean Hayes type were were talking about in another thread.
Is that really Daniel Stern?
No, it's someone impersonating him very well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Seriously, ELF is Will Ferrell's only good movie
Now, wait, I did genuinely enjoy Megamind. My friend told me half way through it was Will Ferrell and I couldn't believe it. He was really endearing in the role. I felt for him right from the beginning.

Roxanne: How could you do this? The people of this city relied on you, and you deserted them! You left us in the hands of... HIM!....No offense...

Megamind: No, I'm with you!