Galavant "Thoughts"

Drtooth

Reaction score
But yeah, so many sitcoms seem to try and recreate the magic of SEINFELD which cannot be recreated; at the same time, a lot of these new medical dramas that have been coming out the last few years all admit that they want to be this generation's M*A*S*H - it just can't be done.
Seinfeld was a special show. They tried to recreate that feeling the second it became a hit. Only thing I can say is close to that series is Larry David's Curb your Enthusiasm (which I have to admit, I actually like better). The stand up comedian getting his own series thing died out in the 90's. That wasn't even why Seinfeld was good in the first place. I like Jerry and I actually dig his stand up, but the show wouldn't be half as memorable without George, Kramer, Neuman, and Frank Costanza. Heck, King of Queens... sure, Kevin James was funny in it, but I really watched for Patton Oswald and Jerry Stiller. Modern shows thrive on a strong ensemble cast. Mulheny is doing it butt backwards. Besides, stand up isn't as popular as it was in the 90's. We have different streams of comedy now. Stand up is still there and thriving, but there's more outlets for that sort of thing.

Besides. Name one sitcom from the 90's that isn't Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, Fraisier, Everybody loves Raymond that left a significant impact and people still talk about. And TGIF's stuff doesn't count. There's some great second string shows like Drew Carey and Third Rock from the Sun... but then we have the Caroline in the City, The Single Guy...uh... a bunch of others I can't remember... stuff that was on the WB...eh... it's like we only remember those 5 shows, and therefore those have to be the shows to emulate.

Really... anyone remember there was a sitcom based on Dave Barry that starred the judge from Night Court. Had Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" as the themesong? Anyone? I swear for the longest time I dreamt it and it didn't exist.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Really... anyone remember there was a sitcom based on Dave Barry that starred the judge from Night Court. Had Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" as the themesong? Anyone? I swear for the longest time I dreamt it and it didn't exist.
I also think the only guy from the cast of Designing Women was in it too, I can't remember his name but he also turned up in Ned's Declassified.

Yorick

Reaction score
I think before I see this, I should watch this again:
:smile: I remember I liked it, but that's all I recall right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems this show is destined to be a one season thing. They're just dumping it together as a 6 week event as a midseason break for Once Upon a Tweenagers Fan Fic.

Weird Al's in an episode. Excellent. Too bad it's opposite Simpsons and Brooklyn 99.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Seems this show is destined to be a one season thing. They're just dumping it together as a 6 week event as a midseason break for Once Upon a Tweenagers Fan Fic.

Weird Al's in an episode. Excellent. Too bad it's opposite Simpsons and Brooklyn 99.
The show is probably not going to last, but I hope it is good, ABC is doing bad in the comedy area this year, I mean they cancelled two comedies already, and one is going to be cancelled. Black ish is the bright spot this season, it is doing great.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that the show's on (for like 2 more weeks, anyway)...

The one thing I REALLY hated about the first episode... well, not the episode itself... but ABC kept spamming the commercial breaks with advertisements for other shows using Galavant's Theme. And good Grod that was annoying. And they were one after another. At least 2 to every commercial break. And I hate how even before this started, they tried to tie it in to The Bachelor.

It's obvious this was going to be an 8 episode thing and nothing more. I'm glad the writers were savvy enough that this would be a niche program that wouldn't last past a small frame. It's kind of a shame that this is being used as a short, seasonal replacement for that ugh other Fairy Tale based show (really?!?! Now you have Cruella DiVille in there? Wasn't she only evil to puppies?). I really like this series so far. It's got that "it should have been a movie" feel to it that some sitcoms have.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Galavant has been a lot better than I had expected. I had mainly watched it for Weird Al Yankovic, not sure whether he'd be a regular/recurring character or a guest star. When I watched the premiere, I didn't pay much attention, but then when the first two episodes were rerun later in the first week I actually caught them and paid more attention.

I think Galavant is supposed to just be a mini-series. In a way, I feel like maybe it'd be better to make more shows with the intention of just a few episodes (like if they brought back the concept of summer replacement shows). It'd especially be good for shows that are a bit one-note in concept (shows that would be hard to make full seasons of, but what the creators really want to make a reality).

I just now started reading through this thread, and there's a lot that I'd like to say about things mentioned. I must say that I liked the Mulaney show (has it officially been canceled? I know that they moved the timeslot to one that normally gets replaced with sports, and normally don't watch in that time slot).

And there's one thing in particular I want to comment on...

The 80's Show was a special case in that its very existence doomed two shows. The other being the original That 70's Show, which now had to spend the last 2 years of the 70's on the last 4 seasons of the show, not letting the characters grow past that decade.
Are you saying that That '70s Show had to air for a few more seasons because That '80s Show was canceled? As in the contract was for a few years, and with it being canceled, they added a couple more years to That '70s Show's contract to make up for it?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The show has been pretty good, finally something to watch Sundays at eight on ABC. The songs are mixed, some are great, some I forgot after the episode ended, but the jokes are great, and I can not wait for the new episode.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
By the way, I actually like Mulaney, the comment from before is an outdated opinion.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Now that the show's on (for like 2 more weeks, anyway)...

The one thing I REALLY hated about the first episode... well, not the episode itself... but ABC kept spamming the commercial breaks with advertisements for other shows using Galavant's Theme. And good Grod that was annoying. And they were one after another. At least 2 to every commercial break. And I hate how even before this started, they tried to tie it in to The Bachelor.
Oh god, I hated that. It was so irritating.

I don't think the show is great, but it's pretty fine. The songs (well, most of them) are quite good and King Richard is easily the best character.

I wonder what'll happen if they think this is worth giving another season.