Thinking about how popular Muppet productions are

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For awhile I've been thinking about how popular certain Muppet productions are, wanting to determine which ones are most popular and which are least popular. I've actually wanted to do this for awhile, I thought about making it a Muppet Mindset article but somehow I don't feel like it's "Muppet Mindset article" material. But I'm going to list productions and see if I can determine the popularity.

I'm going to determine popularity based on video availability and how often they've been broadcast in the US. I won't count, say, how easy it can be to find a used copy of an out-of-print video release (and since very few direct-to-video releases have been rereleased, with the exception of Kermit's Swamp Years I'll ignore those here). I also won't determine popularity based on whether it can be viewed on YouTube, Daily Motion, or any other video site (unless it's officially available there from Disney, or whoever the content owner is), or if it can be viewed at The Paley Center for Media. I am also limiting this primarily to what Disney owns the rights to (and a few Muppet productions that other companies hold the distribution rights to).

A few notes:
  • I've seen on YouTube Disney Channel promos from May 1990 advertising that the channel would be rerunning a number of Muppet specials. This is the only evidence I've seen of them airing on the channel. Considering this promo aired before Jim Henson died and many of his plans for Disney were canceled, I wouldn't be surprised if The Disney Channel canceled plans to air these, but I also don't know whether they were or weren't canceled. For those productions, I'll note that they were advertised as airing on The Disney Channel in 1990.
  • If a Muppet special aired on Nickelodeon during the 1990s, I will note that there. Many specials first aired on Nick as part of the Sunday Night Muppets block in 1992, and more would start airing in 1993, many as part of Muppet Matinee. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of them first aired in 1992 (only outside of Sunday Night Muppets) and I simply didn't know. And I can't remember if Nick stopped airing Muppet specials in 1994 or 1995 (though the Christmas specials continued to air during the holiday season for a few years, I think up until 1997).
  • I'll also mention if it aired (to my knowledge) on The Odyssey Channel, which aired Muppet productions from 1999-around 2002 (I think the channel still aired some Muppet content afterwards). I'll simply just mention that it aired on Odyssey.
  • I'll also listed a "guestimated" percent for overall popularity. I am not really good at percentages, so I could be off there. The ranking will be based mainly on availability, including how often it's been released/rebroadcast and how long ago it's been released/rebroadcast.

Movies
All theatrical movies (even the least popular) seem to be among the most popular Muppet productions, and I won't be "ranking" those here. After their initial theatrical releases, they were frequently broadcast on TV for years (well, at least until around 2000) and they have all been available on nearly every video format to be around after their releases (HD is the only one I know of that no Muppet movies were released on), including Beta, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, digital, and online streaming. When the videos are out of print, it's usually only for a few years (and while I've mentioned that I'm not ranking popularity based on how easy one can find a used copy of an out-of-print release, I will say that it's easy to find the movies at video stores and libraries). So I'll give them all 100% popularity.

But I will rank the non-theatrical movies:
Kermit's Swamp Years:
Has stayed in print since its 2002 release, though some fans have mentioned that they can't find a copy in stores. Its only TV broadcasts I know of were on Starz when the movie was released (and in fact it aired on Starz shortly before the video was released). I'll give it a 50% popularity.

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie:
After it's initial broadcast, NBC aired the special again in 2003 and 2004 (I think it also aired on the Hallmark Channel a few times). Additionally, it was later rebroadcast on WGN around 2009, and on The CW in 2013 (did it air in 2012?).
And it's had plenty of video availability. When it was first broadcast, the movie was available on VHS that could be ordered online, and got a retail VHS and DVD release in 2003. In 2011 it was rereleased on DVD, and in 2014 it was finally released on Blu-Ray.
I'll give it 75% popularity.

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz:
After its initial broadcast, it was rebroadcast on The Disney Channel at least a few times (it was announced that it was going to air frequently over the summer of 2005, but it took awhile for it to be rebroadcast). I think it's stayed in print since it was released on video in 2005.
I'll give its popularity rankings a 70%.

And now for the TV shows.

The Muppet Show:
After it ended production, reruns aired in syndication throughout the 1980s, not sure when syndication ended. Reruns subsequently aired on TBS from 1988-1992, Nickelodeon from 1994-1995 (or was it 1996?), and The Odyssey Channel from 1999-2002.
It's first video releases were as part of a series of video compilations released by Playhouse Video in 1985. The first time "full" episodes were released on video was in 1994, with the Vincent Price and Alice Cooper episodes released on VHS. More episodes were released on video in 2000 by Time-Life, and some of these were later released in stores by Columbia Home Video. Since 2005, season sets have been released on DVD and continue to in print (while we're waiting for seasons 4 and 5).
I'll give it a 98%, if not a full 100%.

Muppet Babies:
Since it's original run, the show was rerun on Nickelodeon from 1992-1998 and then on Odyssey from 1999-2002. Episodes were released on video during its run, and a number of videos came out after production ended.
I'l give it a 96% if not a full 100% (points should probably be lowered since it hasn't been officially available in years).

Little Muppet Monsters:
Has not been released on video or broadcast since it's original 3-episode run. I give it a 1%.

The Jim Henson Hour:
The MuppeTelevision segments have not been released on video or broadcast (in the US) since its original run in 1989. I'll give it a 10% popularity (higher than Little Muppet Monsters due to the fact that more episodes were broadcast). Miss Piggy's Hollywood and Secrets of the Muppets will be listed under specials.

Muppets Tonight:
After its original ABC run, reruns aired on The Disney Channel during the shows original Disney Channel run. After its original Disney Channel run ended, I think reruns continued airing on the channel until late 1998, if not 1999. A 1999 promo for The Odyssey Channel has a clip from Muppets Tonight, though that's all I know about the show airing on that channel. I'll give it a 25%.

And now, finally, the specials.

The Muppets On Puppets:
I'm not sure whether this special has ever been rerun, but it was included as a bonus feature on The Muppet Show: Season Three in 2008. I give it a 45%.

Hey Cinderella:
I'm not sure whether this special was ever rebroadcast until 1990, when it was advertised in a 1990 Disney Channel promo. It also aired on Nickelodeon and Odyssey. It was released on video in 1982 and again in 1994. I'll give it a 60%.

The Frog Prince:
See "Hey Cinderella", the special's rebroadcast and home video history is basically the same, as far as I know (though as far as I know, The Frog Prince first aired on Nick in 1992 while Hey Cinderella first aired on the channel in 1993). I'll give it a 60%.

The Muppet Musicians of Bremen:
I'm not sure if this was ever rebroadcast before it was rerun on Nickelodeon in 1992, and was later rerun on Odyssey. It was only released on home video once, in 1982. I'll give it a 60%.

The Muppets' Valentine Show:
I'm not sure if this was rebroadcast before it's 1993 rebroadcast on Nickelodeon. It was subsequently rebroadcast on Odyssey. It was included as a bonus feature on The Muppet Show: Season Two DVD in 2007. I'll give it a 70%.

The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence:
I am not sure whether this was ever rebroadcast until Odyssey aired it. It was released as a bonus feature in The Muppet Show: Season One. I'll give it a 60%.

The Muppets Go Hollywood:
Not sure if this was ever rebroadcast until it was rebroadcast on Odyssey. I give it a 15%.

John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together:
This one has been rebroadcast a number of times until 1991, when it was aired on The Disney Channel. I give it a 35% (though some of that is due to the popularity of the album, and I'm not sure how likely the general public is aware that there was also a special with the same title and many of the same songs).

The Muppets Go to the Movies:
Not sure if this was ever rebroadcast until it aired on Nickelodeon. It then aired on Odyssey. I give it a 40%.

The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show:
It was advertised on The Disney Channel in 1990, and has also aired on Nickelodeon and Odyssey. I give it a 40%.

Rocky Mountain Holiday:
From what I've read, this special has never been rebroadcast, but it was released on home video in 2003. I give it a 30%.

The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years:
Since its original broadcast, it's been rebroadcast on Nickelodeon and Odyssey. I give it a 40%.

Tale of the Bunny Picnic:
I'm sure this was rebroadcast on HBO a number of times the year it premiered (though I don't know for sure), and it went on to be broadcast on Nickelodeon and Odyssey. It was also released on home video twice. I give it a 45%.

A Muppet Family Christmas:
Has been rebroadcast many times since its original broadcast, airing on ABC (again) in 1988, NBC in 1989, Nickelodeon from 1992-1997,and Odyssey from 1999-2002. It's also been released on home video twice. I give it an 80% (would rank it a little higher if it's been available since 2005).

Miss Piggy's Hollywood:
Since it's original broadcast on The Jim Henson Hour, Miss Piggy's Hollywood has been seen on Nickelodeon and Odyssey. I give it a 35%.

Secrets of the Muppets:
For the most part, what I wrote about Miss Piggy's Hollywood applies to this as well, though this one was not broadcast during The Jim Henson Hour's original run. However, I still rank it a little higher, at 45%.

The Muppets At Walt Disney World:
After its original broadcast, this special was rebroadcast on The Disney Channel numerous times during the spring and summer of 1995 (and possibly earlier, not sure). I give it a 25%.

The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson:
Not sure whether this special has ever been rebroadcast in the United States. It has been pointed out that there are at least two different English-language versions, with a clip replaced in one of the montages and Kermit's dialogue rerecorded. Not sure if that second version aired in the United States or an English-speaking country. I'll give it a 20%.

Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree:
After its initial broadcast, it was rerun a few times on Odyssey. I give it a 10%.

Studio DC: Almost Live:
These two specials were frequently rerun throughout 2008. I give them a 29%.

Letters to Santa: A Muppets Christmas:
Since its initial broadcast, NBC rebroadcast it twice in 2009, and then The CW rebroadcast it in 2011, 2012, and 2013. It's also available on video. I give it a 50%.

Lady Gaga and the Muppets' Holiday Spectacular:
So far it has not been rebroadcast or released commercially on home video, but is available on Netflix and Hulu. Since it's so recent, I'll give it a 30%, but that popularity percent very well could drop within the next few years (or it could go up). Only time will tell.

And now let's how how everything was ranked...

100%-all movies
98%-The Muppet Show
96%-Muppet Babies
80%-A Muppet Family Christmas
75%-It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
70%-The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, The Muppets' Valentine Show
60%-Hey Cinderella, The Frog Prince, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence
50%-Letters to Santa
45%-The Muppets on Puppets, Tale of the Bunny Picnic, Secrets of the Muppets
40%-The Muppets Go to the Movies, The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show, The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years
35%-A Christmas Together, Miss Piggy's Hollywood
30%-Rocky Mountain Holiday, Lady Gaga and the Muppets
29%-Studio DC
25%-The Muppets at Walt Disney World, Muppets Tonight
20%-The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson
15%-The Muppets Go Hollywood
10%-The Jim Henson Hour (MuppeTelevision segments), Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree
1%-Little Muppet Monsters

dwayne1115

Reaction score
OK that sounds about right. Why not do a poll and see what Muppet fans think about each on of these productions. I personally loved them all but the Lady Gaga thing. (I did love the Muppet parts of that just everything else made me feel like I needed to take a long shower)
I also think that if Disney would release some of these less popular shows on your list that they would eventually become more popular.
I also think that AVMMXM could be a little higher, because it did do very well in the ratings when it first aired on TV, and it has been released 3-4 times since it's original air.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
OK that sounds about right. Why not do a poll and see what Muppet fans think about each on of these productions.
You know, I've never been able to post a poll here. When I first joined I wanted to do polls, but couldn't figure out what to do (never had that problem at other forums).

I guess popularity might go a little beyond how things have been available as well. Obviously, all this stuff can be seen on YouTube (I wonder if I should try to rank them from most viewed to least viewed, though I don't know what I'd do about TV shows, as that's a lot of episodes to tally up and determine). There's also how often something gets represented in a documentary or biography which helps people be aware (even if they haven't seen it; after all, Song of the South is a popular movie, but not many of today's generation has seen it). Book biographies on Jim Henson tend to talk a bit about Hey Cinderella, The Frog Prince, and The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, and the pilots tend to get a bit of talk, while other Muppet specials (the ones that are part of The Muppet Show family of productions) get only passing references. Documentaries and retrospectives include clips from many of the specials as well, even if they don't really talk about the specials (and in a reversal, it seems the specials represent the non-TMS specials a lot less while the books talk more about them).

I wonder if I should determine, say, how often certain productions are represented in The Muppets Character Encyclopedia. Though I should probably disqualify specials listed as first appearances (as those are there to be factually accurate as opposed to them choosing pictures or sections about them). Of course if I was going only by what productions are represented in that book, The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted would be at the top of the popularity list.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
You know, I've never been able to post a poll here. When I first joined I wanted to do polls, but couldn't figure out what to do (never had that problem at other forums).

I guess popularity might go a little beyond how things have been available as well. Obviously, all this stuff can be seen on YouTube (I wonder if I should try to rank them from most viewed to least viewed, though I don't know what I'd do about TV shows, as that's a lot of episodes to tally up and determine). There's also how often something gets represented in a documentary or biography which helps people be aware (even if they haven't seen it; after all, Song of the South is a popular movie, but not many of today's generation has seen it). Book biographies on Jim Henson tend to talk a bit about Hey Cinderella, The Frog Prince, and The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, and the pilots tend to get a bit of talk, while other Muppet specials (the ones that are part of The Muppet Show family of productions) get only passing references. Documentaries and retrospectives include clips from many of the specials as well, even if they don't really talk about the specials (and in a reversal, it seems the specials represent the non-TMS specials a lot less while the books talk more about them).

I wonder if I should determine, say, how often certain productions are represented in The Muppets Character Encyclopedia. Though I should probably disqualify specials listed as first appearances (as those are there to be factually accurate as opposed to them choosing pictures or sections about them). Of course if I was going only by what productions are represented in that book, The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted would be at the top of the popularity list.
I would be more then happy to do the polls for you. (if your interested) just let me know ether on here or in a PM, and I'll be more then happy to post it for you.