Commercial rant time...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've never bought into the "love = big shiny rock" belief either.
And when the couple break up (half the marriages today end within five years), the big shiny rock is the first thing the guy wants back.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
No no no. There's a Kay Jewelers commercial where a documentary film maker narrates how penguins give pebbles to female penguins they want to mate with (like that horrible 1990's animated movie), but the "smart" penguin gives her a diamond. It's pretty classless, and penguin documentaries are passe as heck, so it's not even culturally relevant.

I've never been a fan of love equals shiny, expensive thing.

But I saw that game commercial. Nothing bad about it other than being slightly annoying. Gotta admit, I haven't seen any toy commercials other than those minute long jingle overdose ads for mail away plush toys for a while.
I'll have to see that one just to see how bad the commercial is, but if there referencing that horrible Don Bluth movie with horrible animation errors, then yeah, then it's not going to be pretty for me.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
the fruit loops commercial where the married couple who swear that they are the beep, just because they are sitting on the couch and playing nes super mario brothers and eatting some freaking fruit loops. and the wife annoyingly shouts yeah ! yeah!

i see this on tv and im' like omg shut up. are your nights that boring that you sit at home and annoyingly shout yeah! yeah ! while playing a video game and eating cereal ? i mean i play classic video games too , but i don't annoyingly shout yeah ! yeah ! for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another dysfunctional couple- the guy takes all the marshmallows out of a box of Lucky Charms, leaving the girl with the crusty oats. Way to go, dude.

She'll get even, though, telling him she has a "headache"every night for the next two weeks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're trying too hard to pander to 30 year olds. It has the extra added bonus of making anyone who actually realizes that stuff is retro absolutely miserable.

Personally, I can NOT abide by the horrible use of Scrooge in the Xfinity commercials. Bad enough that A Christmas Carol's message is bogged down by "true meaning of Christmas" stuff instead of the actual "look how terrible the Industrial Revolution made England, and the rich guys were amoral scumbags" message. Actually, that second meaning alone makes this commercial pretty freaking awful. And worse, it's not even funny, clever, or even remotely as well done as the Honey Nut Cheerios one.

Another dysfunctional couple- the guy takes all the marshmallows out of a box of Lucky Charms, leaving the girl with the crusty oats. Way to go, dude.
Considering how much those marbit things make your teeth sting, especially since they're rock hard like a stale cracker, he did her a huge favor. Though, to be fair, I just finished a box of the stuff, and the milk couldn't have made the things melt in the mouth more. I got a rare really good batch.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This one is way overdue. The State Farm ad with the talking mime AND the talking baby. FREAKY!!!!! 'Nuff said already.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Do we really want or need to see commercials with pudgy middle-aged men, or pregnant women, doing chereographed dance numbers in the underwear they're promoting?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I should also point out that those Progressive Flo commercials are getting creepier and creepier. That one where one of the two guys has a dummy is pretty good, but these latest ones where Flo plays multiple roles and plays her own family members are just unnerving.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I should also point out that those Progressive Flo commercials are getting creepier and creepier. That one where one of the two guys has a dummy is pretty good, but these latest ones where Flo plays multiple roles and plays her own family members are just unnerving.
I cannot agree with you more. The one with Flo's "assistant" and her nasal-toned "Nailed it!" line is especially bizarre (at least after a short while).

I'm getting sick of all the HT usage in commercials, especially with Toys R Us, now that they're incorporating them into their ads. It seems apparent that they want their target audience, kids, to become familiar with social media. But isn't it supposed to be used by people ages 13 and up? That's what's hard to understand.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Somehow, I couldn't find the disturbing commercial thread, but...

Anyone else think the Pillsbury Toaster Strudel commercial with the creepy Yodel Land kid in leiderhosen is unsettling?

You have that little white dough mascot everyone loves, and you go for a lame stereotype... and make him even creepier than the King from burger King ever was.
Lol, that commercial got so annoying and pretty boring after a while! Once I was watching Food Network's Kids Cook Off and Toaster Strudel was one of the show's sponsors. And every time there was a commercial break, that exact commercial was always the first to pop up! Just...ugh...