When you need to rant...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Okay, see, that's the cause of half the problems we have in the world today: you keep exposing kids to stuff like this at an early age, that's part of the problem of why we have so many "accidental" teen pregnancies and such
I don't like blaming the media for people's screw ups. Teenagers have been getting pregnant long before the advent of motion pictures.

what kids want to see their mom doing stuff like that? That's just disturbing on ten different levels. Ick.
Now that I kinda agree with, lol. :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
On another, less dark note, WHY ISN'T MILKY WAY AND THE GALAXY GIRLS A TV SHOW?!
It is. It's just called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. That was the show Lauren was trying to pitch to Hasbro, but they rather would have built up the concept with an existing toy line with brand recognition than try and start one full cloth. It's much easier, and it has a much easier level of success. That said, I could also blame CN for that as well, since they're pretty much oblivious to female cartoon viewers for some reason, and when they have a genuine action show that gets a large female demographic that they weren't going for they pretty much dump that crap. Young Justice and Sym-biotic Titan for example. That is assuming Lauren pitched Milky Way to CN.

I could go on a whole thing about girl cartoons and how few of them are any good, and when they are, the guys kinda hijack the fanbase. It's weird. You can have vapid pretty things sitting around and that's perfectly okay for a girl's show, but for a guy's show you need a strong female role model and you can either go something as organic as Storm from X-Men or something as board room enforced like Venus the fifth turtle no one asked for. There are some great girl's shows out there like She-Ra, Jem, and Pepper Ann... but then you get Strawberry Shortcake and Bratz type crap.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There are some great girl's shows out there like She-Ra, Jem, and Pepper Ann... but then you get Strawberry Shortcake and Bratz type crap.
Daria might even be considered a quality girls' show seeing as how its protagonist is a sarcastic teen who starkly avoids conformity and doesn't take crap from anyone, though that's kind of a stretch as it's aimed at teens and young adults.

I'd say the original G1 MLP series and Rainbow Brite fall in the middle of the pack in terms of quality. I kinda like the grouchy Gusty from the former, and it helps that she's voiced by Nancy Cartwright. But I especially love those witches from the movie and the 10-episode pseudo-sequel from the series. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's weird. You can have vapid pretty things sitting around and that's perfectly okay for a girl's show, but for a guy's show you need a strong female role model
Yeah, it's the old "We can pander to ourselves, but don't you pander to us!" mentality, lol.

Btw, back in the '80s I did watch My Little Pony every day. I had several of the toys (Hasbro, duh, lol). But even as a kid the show bugged me. The characters were just too catty to each other. I got enough of that in school! Every other cartoon at the time was about characters learning to get along and work together. But it always felt like the Ponies were constantly burning with resentment, lol.

And yeah I get that the current MLP is all about "friendship," but that's kinda the opposite extreme. I'm not interested in blandness either, heh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, it's the old "We can pander to ourselves, but don't you pander to us!" mentality, lol.
I'd say the worst girls cartoon I've ever watched was Maxie's World. You had guys writing the scripts! And they handled problems girls face terribly. There's an episode about anorexia that is so incredibly misguided I can't even call it anvilicious. I mean the vapid, hot chicks that learn that beauty is on the inside type storylines get my blood boiling to begin with, but this was just so incredibly ignorant of what the subject matter was about. Essentially a hot "teenage" character that looks like a 20 year old model's friends were joking about her being fat in front of a carnival mirror, she has a dream sequence about being fat, she starves herself, gets another dream sequence where she's paper thin, and everything's better at the end. She even talks to a doctor who, and I'm not kidding, manages to give a speech about anorexia that sounds exactly like Sonic the Hedgehog's "Kids, there's nothing wrong with getting hugged by someone you like" speech. EVEN the "tell someone like a teacher or your parents" line. Just... eye rollingly bad.

Only reason it was even online was that the cartoon fat fetish community worships this episode. I had to make a Youtube Poop of it (that like 4 people watched) because of how Glob-awful the cartoon was. Yeah, Brand Spanking New, Fresh and Shiny Doug handled the same topic as anvilicious as it could, but at least it did it competently. It's pretty off to try and address teen issues in a cartoon made to sell Barbie Knockoffs. And I don't mean the hidden depths type of cartoon writing that... let's just say Hasbro's other properties had. it was just bad. And I wish there was another episode of that available online to watch and tear apart, but for now, just enjoy this clip...

There's a cuss word in the title, so I'm trying to get a link up in here

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd say the worst girls cartoon I've ever watched was Maxie's World. You had guys writing the scripts! And they handled problems girls face terribly.
I mean, guys have been writing for girl's shows forever probably, so I don't mind that. It's not like women always agree on how to handle things.

But I'd question the wisdom of any cartoon addressing anorexia. The characters don't look like real people even on a good day, lol. It's probably a better idea to create a parallel issue for the characters to face, that can serve to teach the same lessons.

Even in live action shows they handle anorexia badly because it's resolved too quickly and easily. If you get full blown anorexia, it can take over your life for years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't like blaming the media for people's screw ups. Teenagers have been getting pregnant long before the advent of motion pictures.
Again, I'm saying it's part of the problem: especially in this day and age where people are lazy and look to the media for guideance... however, I still say that Reese Witherspoon's mindset, "Oh, kids are smart, they should be able to see this stuff," is irresponisble, neglegent parenting... and seriously, why would you want your kids to see you naked and having sex? That's just really disturbing.

Harleena

Reaction score
It is. It's just called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
I guess you're right. But a Galaxy Girls TV show still would be nice, even though I love MLP.
That said, I could also blame CN for that as well, since they're pretty much oblivious to female cartoon viewers for some reason.
That explains why they took Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi off the air…*is sad about it*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Again, I'm saying it's part of the problem: especially in this day and age where people are lazy and look to the media for guideance... however, I still say that Reese Witherspoon's mindset, "Oh, kids are smart, they should be able to see this stuff," is irresponisble, neglegent parenting... and seriously, why would you want your kids to see you naked and having sex? That's just really disturbing.
Well what's the movie about exactly?