TV Tropes

Drtooth

Reaction score
How come they have a "He panned it, so he sucks" page and yet not a "He Panned it so it sucks" page? Or any equivalent. You know, movies people tend to like until some jerk pokes holes in it and then it becomes a joke?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I've been suspended from TV Tropes.

For some reason.

Given what's been going on lately, I suspect this has something to do with the YKTTW I was working on indexing shows that switched from 4:3 standard definition to 16:9 high-definition during their initial runs (ala SST in 2008) as a sister index to the recently launched Switch to Color index.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I've been suspended from TV Tropes.

For some reason.

Given what's been going on lately, I suspect this has something to do with the YKTTW I was working on indexing shows that switched from 4:3 standard definition to 16:9 high-definition during their initial runs (ala SST in 2008) as a sister index to the recently launched Switch to Color index.
That's a shame. I recently thought about starting such a YKTTW. It would have made a good trivia trope.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, shows switching to color was good enough for a trivia/userful notes trope, but there seemed to be a lot of debate on the subject of indexing shows that switched from SD to HD, because apparently, widescreen, 16:9, and HD are supposedly all three separate thing, and it was confusing people as to what the YKTTW was supposed to be about, even though consumers are lead to believe that if we see something widescreen (or in a 16:9 format), then it's automatically HD.

I like, though, that apparently they're saying, "Yeah, you're suspended, but you're not being punished." Seriously, that's about what it says... well, if I'm suspended, then that sounds like I'm being punished.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How are they going to make a series about TV Tropes? Like, what would it be? A lampshade hanging showcase?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
How are they going to make a series about TV Tropes? Like, what would it be? A lampshade hanging showcase?
Did you actually hear something about this, or did somebody desire such a show, or are you just curious? I myself have wondered if there should be a TV Tropes show. I would make it variety/sketch comedy show, with as much in common with the website as Mad TV has with Mad Magazine. I would set a goal to include as many tropes as possible, so that the shows page would be the most troperiffic page possible.

But then if the goal is to get every trope included, do they deliberately make something "lost forever"? Do they deliberately do something that would warrant a "missing episode" or "keep circulating the tapes"? It would be hard to deliberately invoke "retroactive recognition" (the closest would be to cast unknowns and hope that at least one becomes a star after leaving), "hilarious in hindsight", "harsher in hindsight", and similar retroactive tropes. Would there be executive meddling just so that trivia trope could apply (maybe the "executive meddling" would be pressure to include every existing trope by the end of the first season)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The rights clearances for that would be through the roof. I don't see how it could work unless it was an online "fair use" based series.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
probably something similar to Know Your Meme's youtube show. Name a trope and talk about the shows or something.
Still, thats an odd idea for a show if it even happens o.0

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It is happening, they've been having a Kickstarter campaign for a couple of months now, and have exceded their goal by over 100%; they're planning on overhauling the entire site, changing their moderating staff, and producing this new web series.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After having a discussion with a mod, my ban's been lifted, and as it turns out, my hunch was correct, that specific YKTTW was what prompted the suspension in the first place.