Questions about anything

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, seriously, who thought it was a smart idea to make a comedy movie about trying to assassinate North Korea's dictator?

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, seriously, who thought it was a smart idea to make a comedy movie about trying to assassinate North Korea's dictator?
No... seriously, who wasn't surprised that a dictatorship that does nothing but brainwash their citizens with slipshod, terribly produced propaganda can dish it out, but can't take it? There's nothing different between their terrible to the point of being too hilarious to be terrifying and this movie, other than the fact that it's good and well done... at least compared to their crap. We have every right to make a film about offing their leader as they do for ours. It's like if Hitler threw a hissy fit over the Stooge's "You Nutzy Spy" short. Even Kim Jong Il wasn't this big of a baby over Team America: World Police. Heck, there are rumblings he actually liked it.

I can't take aggressive jerks that can bully the crap out of someone, but turn into either self-victimised crybabies or violent morons when they're called out on it. That's the very essence of every bully I've ever encountered. So I'm a little passionate about that.

Harleena

Reaction score
Who thought it was a good idea to make an anime about the countries of the world…and then market it to 12-year-old yaoi fangirls?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well they all warned Charlie Chaplin against making The Great Dictator. But he did it anyway, because he felt it was important to send a message since so many innocent people were suffering. Humor can be a very powerful weapon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love how they're denying another country propaganda. They make things that are essentially a joke. Yeah, the whole "resist capitalism" bit they're doing falls flat when everyone in the country is starving and they have to shut off power for most of the day. But that's besides the point. Propaganda is far from new. There's not difference between "Popeye Punches a guy of Japanese Decent" and this movie, well... except for maybe this.

This film seems like a level of tongue in cheekness that seems to be parodying the concepts of propaganda piece. Playing with the passive aggressiveness of it, actually. That's the staple of propaganda. Saying something Passive aggressive about the opposition to make them look bad. And I wouldn't be surprised if just a little of this movie is playing with the weird friendship mission that Dennis Rodman started. Maybe even a slight nod to Argo? Point is, this isn't just a propaganda piece and it may just have levels you can't appreciate unless you watch the film.

What bugs me are the small, but vocal masses of NK's that actually believe in their mission and still actually like their leader for genuine reasons and not that if they didn't they'd get shot (which is pretty much most of their population).

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I've been watching some classic Sesame Street from the 80s and 90s and it got me thinking. We know a majority of the human characters speak and understand ASL but how many of the Muppet characters did?

I did pick up on a couple of things. In the episode when Barkley ran away, Oscar didn't understand what Linda was saying but knew that she was mad at him for not helping. In 'Follow That Bird', Big Bird understood her when she told him to read and asked him where the key was but didn't seem to understand her in an early 90s episode.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've been watching some classic Sesame Street from the 80s and 90s and it got me thinking. We know a majority of the human characters speak and understand ASL but how many of the Muppet characters did?

I did pick up on a couple of things. In the episode when Barkley ran away, Oscar didn't understand what Linda was saying but knew that she was mad at him for not helping. In 'Follow That Bird', Big Bird understood her when she told him to read and asked him where the key was but didn't seem to understand her in an early 90s episode.
Oscar did understand ASL. Once there was a street scene with Bob, Linda, Susan, Gordon, and possibly David gathered around Oscar's can. Oscar didn't like the crowd scene and wanted them to scram, so the humans made a bet with Oscar to see who would leave, him or them.

Oscar proposed if they could say "She sells seashells by the seashore", he would leave. But first, he made them stuff their faces full of saltines, which made their mouths so dry none of them could speak. Except Linda could sign it with her hands, and Oscar read her signing out loud, found he couldn't win the bet, and slammed his lid post haste.

Doesn't make too much sense, but I guess you had to be there.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to Muptoons?

I can't find a single video or file of Kermambo.

Like seriously its like they're wiped off the face of the earth.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How come some characters that are one gender to start with in original source material are a different gender in certain international dubs?

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
How come some characters that are one gender to start with in original source material are a different gender in certain international dubs?
In the case of Power Rangers and the original Super Sentai that it was based on, (where the original yellow Sentai was a guy while the Yellow Ranger is a girl) I think it's either a) the producers of Power Rangers wanted at least one more girl to make it slightly more gender neutral or b) yellow is a 'girl colour'.