Which Sesame Street character should get a Greatest hits DVD next?

Schfifty

Reaction score
So while Big Bird has just one video (Big Bird Sings!) honoring him, Elmo now has THREE videos? Sorry, but while I appreciate Elmo's success, I would take a Best Of video honoring Big Bird over this. He is the true star of the show, and he ought to have a Best Of video again. It's been just about 20 years since BBS! was released.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It'd be great to see a new Ernie and Bert spotlight video, especially since Billy Barkhurst is now performing Ernie (at least when Steve isn't available), so Ernie and Bert could be involved in linking material (though they could have been involved if such a video was made ten years ago).

Considering recent videos have been longer (some being 2 and even 3 hours, though the length time includes bonus features), here's what might make a good Ernie and Bert release:
  • Adding, Adding, Adding
  • Ernie directs a movie
  • Caveman Days: Taking the Kid to School
  • Imagine That
  • But I Like You
  • Rubber Duckie (preferably the original, though the second season version is more popular)
  • Doin' the Pigeon
  • I'm Square
  • any of the previously-unavalable-in-the-US segments
  • Ernie plans a bath
  • Ernie and Bert's apartment gets flooded
  • Ernie and Bert meet the Martians
  • another one of the previously-unavailable-in-the-US segments
  • Miami Mice
  • The 8 Salesman
  • Stick Out Your Hand and Say Hello
  • Ernie makes a dance video
  • Dance Myself to Sleep

And for bonus features, "The Best of Ernie and Bert" and a Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures segment.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
@Schfifty and @minor muppetz for real though! It's been almost 20 years since Big Bird got his spotlight video, and pretty much 26 years since Bert and Ernie got theirs.

Plus, it doesn't help that the third Best of Elmo seems to be pretty much going the same way the second one did- mostly his appearances with celebrity and background appearances!

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I don't mind seeing Elmo in recent episodes either, but I do agree that he has more video releases than any other SS character.:stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something hit me recently regarding character releases: They usually come out during anniversary years.

The Best of Ernie and Bert came out in 1988. I don't know what month, so it may or may not have been after the 20th season started, and I also don't know if Sesame Workshop started celebrating the 20th anniversary in 1988 or 1989.

The Best of Elmo was released in late 1994. I don't know whether the 25th anniversary ended or not by then.

The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street came out in either summer or fall 1998. Sesame Workshop had already began it's 30th anniversary celebration, with the Elmopalooza special and the Sesame Street Beans line of toys (I think the anniversary PVCs were also in stores at the time).

A Celebration of Me, Grover came out in 2004, a few months after season 35 started (and probably ended, but it was still an anniversary year).

And of course The Best of Elmo 2 came out this year, I think after the 40th season ended, but still during the anniversary year. The 40th anniversary is still officially being celebrated, right?

I think the time will be right by the time of the 45th anniversary for a "Best of Abby Cadabbey" release. But I hope we don't have to wait another five years (at the most) for a "Best of Oscar" or "Best of The Count" release.
I wrote this, and now it's announced that another Best of Elmo is coming out, during the anniversary season. I hope that we get another "Best of" later this year, even if it's "Best of Abby" or "Best of Zoe", but if this year brings us another "best of" for a character who already has one (or two), I hope it can be more of a collectors release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've mentioned this in another thread... but really the last 2 Best of Elmo segments have been best of celebrities that appeared along side Elmo. While The Power of Yet is a great song, it's hardly an Elmo song. Heck, Bert's in it a little more than Elmo (no complaints there). The character should speak for himself. Remember, he did have multiple hot Christmas toys.

So the question isn't why is SW releasing more Elmo Best ofs, and why aren't they releasing more Best Ofs with the characters over celebrity guest stars.

And yes... Ernie and Bert and Big Bird totally demand long form best of videos. It's disappointing that they junked the format they had with "A Celebration of Me: Grover." That really should have been followed up with various other "A celebration Of" videos.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Hey wait a sec, I don't know if somebody mentioned this one yet, but doesn't Big Bird Sings count as a Best Of video?:stick_out_tongue:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I've mentioned this in another thread... but really the last 2 Best of Elmo segments have been best of celebrities that appeared along side Elmo. While The Power of Yet is a great song, it's hardly an Elmo song. Heck, Bert's in it a little more than Elmo (no complaints there). The character should speak for himself. Remember, he did have multiple hot Christmas toys.

So the question isn't why is SW releasing more Elmo Best ofs, and why aren't they releasing more Best Ofs with the characters over celebrity guest stars.

And yes... Ernie and Bert and Big Bird totally demand long form best of videos. It's disappointing that they junked the format they had with "A Celebration of Me: Grover." That really should have been followed up with various other "A celebration Of" videos.
Amen to every one of your statements.

Hey wait a sec, I don't know if somebody mentioned this one yet, but doesn't Big Bird Sings count as a Best Of video?:stick_out_tongue:
It sort of does, except it only focuses on songs for the most part.