You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It was calculated carefully, and it became talked about. That helped her career more than anything.
Her career as an object of ridicule. And one that's not even guaranteed to last that long in the grand scheme. There's always another soon-to-be-has-been coming up the ranks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In the end it doesn't matter as long as they get their money. That's like 100% of reality TV right there. It's like book burning. They buy the books anyway, the publisher makes money on the sale of the book, they could care less about what anyone does with it. Buy it because you ran out of toilet paper, they still get money. Not to mention they can also claim that a bunch of nasty wackadoos panned the book, so that's free publicity as well. Win win. It's pathetic, but you can't blame the celebrities without blaming their followers or their detractors either. The only way to stop obnoxious people doing demeaning things for fame is to stop watching them, stop talking about them, and ignoring them. Don't feed the trolls. Like, remember when Jerry Fallwell got all hot and bothered about Teletubbies brainwashing kids to be gay, and then the series became a HUGE hit with the gay community? Had he shut his mouth, the franchise would have been far more fleeting and unpopular. that's sort of the same thing, only carefully calculated.

Fame is a fickle thing, and with earnest celebrities starring in movies or TV shows who have varying degrees of actual talent being shunned once they do one bad film. But if everyone's so sick of Miley or Beiber, just give them that good old shunning and never mention them. That's what they want. It keeps them around.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the episode of Tiny Toons where the cast finds burried treasure, but on the way back home their boat starts sinking, and they are forced to throw out the treasure, which Plucky is most against. But Plucky is a duck, couldn't he have just jumped out of the boat, since ducks can swim (and I think they can breathe under water)?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the deal with Facebook's new search settings? I mean when nine out of ten people, places, groups, pics, vids, whatever you search for turn up, "Sorry, we have no results for you," that sounds a bit like Scrappy Mechanics to me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been watching Home Alone on ABC Family quite a bit this week, and it seems like the channel is showing two different edits. I watched it the other night and saw quite a few scenes I'm not familiar with (I usually watch the movie on TV, several years back I watched part of a video release which showed one of these scenes), and I don't think they were deleted scenes added to the TV broadcast (I recently seeked out deleted scenes on YouTube, and these weren't among them). But then last night I was watching it (or most of it) and noticed one of those scenes being cut like I would have expected. I would have thought that all channels would show the same edit of something every time (though I've been told that Comedy Central shows the edited-for-syndication versions of South park episodes during the day time and the Comedy Central edits at night).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I've been watching Home Alone on ABC Family quite a bit this week, and it seems like the channel is showing two different edits. I watched it the other night and saw quite a few scenes I'm not familiar with (I usually watch the movie on TV, several years back I watched part of a video release which showed one of these scenes), and I don't think they were deleted scenes added to the TV broadcast (I recently seeked out deleted scenes on YouTube, and these weren't among them). But then last night I was watching it (or most of it) and noticed one of those scenes being cut like I would have expected. I would have thought that all channels would show the same edit of something every time (though I've been told that Comedy Central shows the edited-for-syndication versions of South park episodes during the day time and the Comedy Central edits at night).
It's possible that they were edited for air-time. I've watched a lot of movies that the channel cuts specific scenes just to fit in their schedule (sometimes they're really horribly edited, cutting out the most crucial plot points). Have you ever watched the full version of the movie on DVD? It's possible that they just took the real copy and chopped it down.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Have you ever watched the full version of the movie on DVD? It's possible that they just took the real copy and chopped it down.
No, I haven't. I've watched it on VHS a few times, but usually I watch it on TV (or a recorded-from-TV copy).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Do you ever feel a little strange knowing that now that you're an adult, there are still shows on that you watched as a kid growing up that's still coming out with new episodes on a regular basis all these years later?

SST would qualify as one those shows, but in a sense, it really doesn't, because it's always been there, even before me, it's almost like a necessary part of life like food, clothing, things like that... plus, older episodes are hard to come by, so unless you have tapes or YouTube, it's not easy to see an episode from yesteryears and think, "Oh yeah, I remember that!"

But, like ARTHUR, for example... I remember when my PBS started airing it regularly in 2000 (before that, they seemed to reserve it for special occasions like pledge drives and such), and now here it is all these years later, they're still making new episodes, and have no plans to stop anytime soon... anytime I see a rerun of an older episode, it's almost a kooky feeling to know I was a kid when that was on, and now i'm an adult and new episodes are still on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you're old enough to remember when the Simspons were on The Tracy Ulman show, it's not much of a deal.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay... so, apparently, during the 70s, while cutting edge and groundbreaking television was coming into vogue, ABC was still essentially the namby-pamby network, and they were constantly cracking down on THE ODD COUPLE, because they were so afraid that people would assume the show was about a gay couple, hence why they mandated the, "Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?" main title narration (that, and Tony Randall and Jack Klugman would intentionally goof-off and ad-lib fake make-outs and other homoerotic subtext moments just to tick off the censors).

And yet, the pilot episode has the word "Orgy," in the title... in 1970, which was still a year shy of the real big she-bang of shows like ALL IN THE FAMILY coming along. So yeah, can't imply two men living together are gay in the early and mid 70s (Jack Klugman even pointed out the irony of many shows today having to include at least one gay character to keep from seeming politically insensitive), but you can imply orgies in 1970.