Is there a reason why Disney dislikes releasing Muppet DVD's?

beaker

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a theory why, after TEN years Disney still refuses to release Muppet works on the home market? Heck, between 2009 and 2010 Lionsgate films released way more Muppet/Henson related dvds than Disney has in a decade.

Disney just keeps re-releasing the same movies(Muppet Movie/Caper/Carol/MTI), Oz and then of course the two new films with VMMC and LTS re-releases.

Forget the endless complains about the refusal to release Muppet Show Season 4 and 5...heck Disney seems to have no intention of releasing on dvd or blu ray Muppets at Walt Disney World, Muppets Tonight or Muppet Family Christmas. Which is odd as ALL of those aired on Disney's ABC channel and were tied to Disney. Heck, look how Disney ended everything to do with Disney's Bear in the Big Blue House.

What gives? I won't even get into the complete lack of Muppet merchandise the past few years. It's like other than some tv appearances, Disney just cared about the theatrical films and pouring a zillion dollars into mass marketing(which is great, dream come true, yada yada) but I can't help but feel we were getting MORE Muppet stuff 2002-2005.
Boy, we had more Muppet merch than we knew what to do with. We had all sorts of dvd releases(even the Muppets Ed Sullivan dvd)

beaker

Reaction score
Meanwhile, we've gotten what seems like thousands of Sesame Street dvds and vhs tapes in the last three decades.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It's simple my friend, after the 10+ years that Disney has owned the Muppets, they still do not know what they are going to do with them. When Disney bought Marvel and Star Wars there fan base was more secure, and sadly a lot larger then the Muppet fan base. I think it was you or someone else who had started another thread about how the Muppet fandom was kind of like an underground fandom. The fandom is still kind of weak even though there are three major websites, this one Tough Pigs and the Mindset.

I think Disney needs some kind of proof that the Muppets can still make them money. MMW did not do that great at the box office, and I think that has caused doubt that the Muppets can make as much money as Marvel and Star Wars.

Also if you look at how happy Disney is to include Marvel and Star Wars in anything new they are doing. Where as the Muppets are being treated like Disney's red headed step child that no one wants to play with.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a theory why, after TEN years Disney still refuses to release Muppet works on the home market?
Do you realize Disney's not the only studio that does stuff like this?

It took six years to get Seasons Four and Five of Rocky and Bullwinkle after the first three seasons were released annually (of course, part of it had to do with Sony Wonder going under).

It's been been nearly a decade since MGM released Season Three of GREEN ACRES, and they still have three more seasons to go.

Warner is by far the worst... we were actually lucky they just released Season Two of COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG to coincide with the new CGI short that just came out, otherwise, they haven't released any new titles under the CN Hall of Fame banner. Likewise, it's been seven years since they released the first two seasons of ED, EDD N EDDY, and that was one of their biggest hits... they never even released BIG PICTURE SHOW on DVD!

Don't forget there was a five year gap between Vol. 2 and 3 of SST Old School.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Do you realize Disney's not the only studio that does stuff like this?

It took six years to get Seasons Four and Five of Rocky and Bullwinkle after the first three seasons were released annually (of course, part of it had to do with Sony Wonder going under).

It's been been nearly a decade since MGM released Season Three of GREEN ACRES, and they still have three more seasons to go.

Warner is by far the worst... we were actually lucky they just released Season Two of COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG to coincide with the new CGI short that just came out, otherwise, they haven't released any new titles under the CN Hall of Fame banner. Likewise, it's been seven years since they released the first two seasons of ED, EDD N EDDY, and that was one of their biggest hits... they never even released BIG PICTURE SHOW on DVD!

Don't forget there was a five year gap between Vol. 2 and 3 of SST Old School.
I never thought I'd be saying this, but I totally agree with you here.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I should also mention that there's plenty of American shows that have gotten DVD releases... in other regions. I believe all four seasons of KENAN AND KEL have been released over in the U.K., and I know all four seasons of COW AND CHICKEN and COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG have been released in Australia and New Zealand (the latter of which just recently saw it's second season released in North America).

Also, we can't really accuse Disney of "hating" to release Muppet DVDs, when you consider we've gotten multiple releases of the titles under Disney's ownership (TMM, GMC, MCC, and MTI), and each one of them varying from the previous release.

Yes, it's frustrating that we've been left hanging for Seasons 4 and 5 of TMS, but as I said earlier, there's other shows from other studios that have also abandoned releases. Sales are a determining factor in how soon further seasons of a show are released on DVD; if sales aren't so good for one season, then they won't get in any particular hurry to release the next season. In the case of TMS, let's take into consideration: are Muppet DVDs (or other Muppet products, for that matter) selling well outside our fandom? Are they selling well to the masses? That could very well be playing a factor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Disney needs some kind of proof that the Muppets can still make them money. MMW did not do that great at the box office, and I think that has caused doubt that the Muppets can make as much money as Marvel and Star Wars.
Except, in terms of DVD release, they hate those guys as well. Sure, they released the full 90's Fantastic Four series, 90's X-men in odd 2 disk volumes, and the Avengers cartoon before the current one in single disk volumes... but where's Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (though it is on Netflix), 80's Incredible Hulk, 90's Incredible Hulk, and the original 60's Spider-Man cartoon (though, who'd want that one). Sure, there's a lot of Marvel stuff Disney can't get the rights to, like the HB produced FF series and some of the Sony made Spider-Man cartoons (but Sony still can release those, so...). But there's indeed a lot of stuff they haven't released on DVD yet. Heck, even their current Marvel cartoons only got crappy single disk releases.

And who wants to bet Disney isn't going to even touch Droids and Ewoks? I don't think we'll see Rebels in the same season sets Clone Wars was either.

Bottom line. Disney hates releasing season sets of anything. Even cash cow Toy Story didn't see a Buzz Lightyear of Star Command release, Winnie the Pooh's new Adventures cartoons saw sporadic 3 episodes on a 15 dollar DVD, and that's the one thing you'd think they would have released by now. Why do you think all the Disney Afternoon DVD's stopped half way, and The Tick had 2 incomplete seasons culled from Comedy Central reruns (read edited)? Even their own crappy 00's era sitcoms had to be rereleased by Lionsgate (as if anyone wanted them).

So it's not a Muppet specific problem. heck, the Muppet ones they did release had a tone of more care than any of the DA cartoons I mentioned. They couldn't get Jim Cummings to sit down for a few minutes to interview him?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Except, in terms of DVD release, they hate those guys as well. Sure, they released the full 90's Fantastic Four series, 90's X-men in odd 2 disk volumes, and the Avengers cartoon before the current one in single disk volumes... but where's Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (though it is on Netflix), 80's Incredible Hulk, 90's Incredible Hulk, and the original 60's Spider-Man cartoon (though, who'd want that one). Sure, there's a lot of Marvel stuff Disney can't get the rights to, like the HB produced FF series and some of the Sony made Spider-Man cartoons (but Sony still can release those, so...). But there's indeed a lot of stuff they haven't released on DVD yet. Heck, even their current Marvel cartoons only got crappy single disk releases.

And who wants to bet Disney isn't going to even touch Droids and Ewoks? I don't think we'll see Rebels in the same season sets Clone Wars was either.

Bottom line. Disney hates releasing season sets of anything. Even cash cow Toy Story didn't see a Buzz Lightyear of Star Command release, Winnie the Pooh's new Adventures cartoons saw sporadic 3 episodes on a 15 dollar DVD, and that's the one thing you'd think they would have released by now. Why do you think all the Disney Afternoon DVD's stopped half way, and The Tick had 2 incomplete seasons culled from Comedy Central reruns (read edited)? Even their own crappy 00's era sitcoms had to be rereleased by Lionsgate (as if anyone wanted them).

So it's not a Muppet specific problem. heck, the Muppet ones they did release had a tone of more care than any of the DA cartoons I mentioned. They couldn't get Jim Cummings to sit down for a few minutes to interview him?
Please drop that attitude and conclusion-jumping. It's not healthy. :grr:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I should also mention that there's plenty of American shows that have gotten DVD releases... in other regions. I believe all four seasons of KENAN AND KEL have been released over in the U.K., and I know all four seasons of COW AND CHICKEN and COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG have been released in Australia and New Zealand (the latter of which just recently saw it's second season released in North America).

Also, we can't really accuse Disney of "hating" to release Muppet DVDs, when you consider we've gotten multiple releases of the titles under Disney's ownership (TMM, GMC, MCC, and MTI), and each one of them varying from the previous release.

Yes, it's frustrating that we've been left hanging for Seasons 4 and 5 of TMS, but as I said earlier, there's other shows from other studios that have also abandoned releases. Sales are a determining factor in how soon further seasons of a show are released on DVD; if sales aren't so good for one season, then they won't get in any particular hurry to release the next season. In the case of TMS, let's take into consideration: are Muppet DVDs (or other Muppet products, for that matter) selling well outside our fandom? Are they selling well to the masses? That could very well be playing a factor.
Except that TMS Seasons 1-3 WERE best-sellers.

They just need to finish clearing all the gosh darned music and celebrity rights before they can release the remaining seasons.