The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2279373/?ref_=rvi_tt

Do we need this? Seriously?! Do we really need?!

When? When will this end?!
The network has recently given us Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn, Awesomeness TV, Wild Grinders, NFL cartoons that shouldn't exist, a Kids React to TV series, and just awful as heck crap I don't want to bother with a mention. Spongebob has completely worn out his welcome, but he manages to keep making money, and if that money goes to fund other animation on Nickelodeon (yes, even Breadwinners), I'm all for it.

But danged if Sanjay and Craig doesn't deserve a movie.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Spongebob has completely worn out his welcome, but he manages to keep making money, and if that money goes to fund other animation on Nickelodeon (yes, even Breadwinners), I'm all for it.
That and Ninja Turtles. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That and Ninja Turtles. :smile:
Oh my glob! Yes! The TMNT toy lines, cartoon and movie, were a HUGE hit this holiday season. TMNT merch does really well (they can even sell Cotton Candy flavored Yogurt), and it seems that they're slightly edging out Spongebob with the Green Machine in terms of marketing. Just as long as power house shows like those two manage to keep the animation in the network, I'm happy. Any timeslot Spongebob occupies is one less episode of NRD&D. If that's the best thing that can be said about the show, it's good enough for me.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm glad they gave The Legend of Korra some nice closure, too. It may not have gotten SpongeBob ratings, but it has a strong dedicated fanbase that would have been outraged had it been yanked off the air without warning.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I blame the fact that toy companies hate female protagonists in boy's cartoon...well... unless they're Playmates or Hasbro (as of late, anyway)... You know what? Okay. Mattel. This is squarely aimed at Mattel. There was no way they were going to touch an Avatar sequel toy line starring a female character when they refused to make any of the existing female Avatar characters toys. And, frankly, it was a more grown up cartoon than what's usually on their network. They even manged to run some of it on Teen Nick at one point. Sucks that they mangled the airing of the show, but at least they gave it a fitting ending. Especially since Nick really doesn't know what to do with their cartoons half the time. Still waiting on season 3 of TUFF Puppy to air, guys. They just ran the last episode of the series and the heck with it.

I do not begrudge Spongebob another movie. Rugrats had 3 at this time (well, 2 and a half). And like I always say... Japan- famous cartoons get an annual movie, and almost every series gets one film, even if it's a short 40 minutes and under. If we did things their way, we'd be on the 10th Spongebob Movie at least by now.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2279373/?ref_=rvi_tt

Do we need this? Seriously?! Do we really need?!

When? When will this end?!
Oh my god, I actually agree with you, D'Snowth! SpongeBob is the worst TV show ever! He's just so annoying that I never got into it! And it's not just me-Everyone at my school hates SpongeBob for being overrated. When this one boy in my class mentions it, everyone mocks him for it. They also think the new movie looks like action figures being filmed in front of a camera. I agree, even though Action League Now is a better example. Also, the plot sounds waaaay too similar to My Little Pony: Equestria Girls, where the main character goes to another world to get something that was stolen and has to battle the person who stole it.

I do not begrudge Spongebob another movie. Rugrats had 3 at this time (well, 2 and a half). And like I always say... Japan- famous cartoons get an annual movie, and almost every series gets one film, even if it's a short 40 minutes and under. If we did things their way, we'd be on the 10th Spongebob Movie at least by now.
You think that's amazing? Pretty Cure gets two films a year thanks to the ever-popular All Stars series and are generally good (I cried at the end of the last Pretty Cure film I watched!) By the end of 2015, there will be 19 films.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh my god, I actually agree with you, D'Snowth! SpongeBob is the worst TV show ever! He's just so annoying that I never got into it! And it's not just me-Everyone at my school hates SpongeBob for being overrated. When this one boy in my class mentions it, everyone mocks him for it.
See, back in my day, it was just the opposite: the whole school loved SpongeBob, and I was the only one who didn't, so I was something of an outcast because of it... the thing of it is, SpongeBob was also a case of It's Popular, So It Sucks, because everybody made it impossible to even try to like it: "D00d! U N33D 2 like SpongeBob! U H@V3 2 like SpongeBob! U G0T 2 like SpongeBob! SpongeBob iz da bestest! SpongeBob rox! H0w c@n u n0t like SpongeBob?!" But I agree, SpongeBob was a stupid and annoying show to begin with, so all the peer pressure to like it didn't help.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
See, back in my day, it was just the opposite: the whole school loved SpongeBob, and I was the only one who didn't, so I was something of an outcast because of it... the thing of it is, SpongeBob was also a case of It's Popular, So It Sucks, because everybody made it impossible to even try to like it: "D00d! U N33D 2 like SpongeBob! U H@V3 2 like SpongeBob! U G0T 2 like SpongeBob! SpongeBob iz da bestest! SpongeBob rox! H0w c@n u n0t like SpongeBob?!" But I agree, SpongeBob was a stupid and annoying show to begin with, so all the peer pressure to like it didn't help.
Luckily that didn't happen in my elementary school class. Because I went to a special needs school due to my ADHD, the kids liked trains such as Thomas the Tank Engine, treating it like Pokemon where they would discuss their collections and would sometimes trade trains with each other. Because I was never that into Thomas (the closest I ever was to being addicted to it was Britt Allcroft's other show Mumfie, which one of the kids at my school liked the movie of), their conversations were sometimes confusing. The older students at that school liked Disney shows and movies and...Family Guy. I'm not kidding. My mom actually made the right choice and banned it after my brother watched it in front of me. It didn't help that it came on after a block of children's shows. In fifth grade, the kids liked Hannah Montana and High School Musical, which I was able to relate to because I loved the Disney Channel as a kid. However, but kids in my fifth grade class were into Bakugaun, which I wasn't into because I hadn't heard of it before, mainly because I liked Pokemon. In middle school, the kids liked teen heart-throbs such as Justin Bieber and video games-oh, and there was one girl I was friends with who liked anime like Higurashi and Sugar Sugar Rune. And in my current high school, all the kids like American Horror Story and Frozen, and most of the teachers with younger children LOVE watching Sofia The First. I like it too, since it's actually pretty good for a preschool show. I like the specials of the show the most!
Going back on topic, here's another classic show ruined by CGI where most of the characters don't look the same!

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's probably because you're two different age groups, with D*Snowth being in school at the rise of the show's popularity. Such as shows that last over 10 years, they begin to be hated because they're not the shows that get cancelled quickly and easily... even though Spongebob was going to be cancelled the first year.

I blame the network for holding impossibly high standards that it's highest rated show didn't even adhere to when it started. It does suck that better shows like Invader Zim and Catscratch didn't get the love they deserved because they weren't making Spongebob money, but I feel Spongebob gets all the blame that should be reserved for the horrible live action programming on the network. Like the show about the Super Heroes that don't do anything remotely super hero based.

Still, this Spongebob movie was a long time coming. Nothing about it looks really bad from a more Spongebob friendly point of view, just way too late.

That said, I don't know what to make of Strange Magic. The animation looks good enough, but George Lucas is behind it, so there's a reasonable amount of skepticism there. It doesn't look awful by any means, but it looks like it could go either way with no margin of error. It will either be good, or like everything else George did that wasn't the first 3 Star Wars and Indiana Jones films.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I went to the theater to see the new Annie movie yesterday and when I was waiting on line for my popcorn, I saw a poster for a CGI movie called "Home". It's about, well, aliens. But on further inspection, it is going to be a DreamWorks movie. :concern: