Nick at Nite Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
NOW Nick@Nite is doing THEIR own shows now too! :rolleyes:
I've mentioned it several posts back, but Nick at Nite actually DID have it's own original shows during it's early years. There was Turkey TV, and National Geographic Explorers originated on Nick at Nite (and then moved to TBS). I've heard there was an "At the Movies with Siskel and Ebert"-type parody show which I can't remember the name of. And in 1991 there was Hi Honey I'm Home, which was sort of original and sort of not: Episodes premiered on ABC, and then were rerun the next night or two on Nick at Nite (I've read about this being referred to as "instant reruns"). ABC canceled the show before every episode was broadcast, so the remaining episodes premiered on Nick at Nite.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
WHY is That 70s Show on TV Land now? Mila Kunis? Is that why?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Classic Nick at Nite and TV Land. Boy, do those bring me back. Granted, both channels have always essentially been graveyards for cancelled TV shows. While I have nothing against showing more recent shows on these channels, I wish there was a little bit more variety.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Does anyone know if TMS was on nick at nite, because on some of my old TMS recordings from nick it says during the credits that next on nick at nite some show will be on, so I think it did air on the block, which I would have liked to watch, but they do not air TMS reruns anymore.

Aaron

Reaction score
Does anyone know if TMS was on nick at nite, because on some of my old TMS recordings from nick it says during the credits that next on nick at nite some show will be on, so I think it did air on the block, which I would have liked to watch, but they do not air TMS reruns anymore.
TMs used to be the last show on before Nick at Nite

Muppet Master

Reaction score
TMs used to be the last show on before Nick at Nite
But, on the recordings during the credits it says next on nick at nite stay tuned for the partridge family, which makes me think that the block had already began before, though thanks for the information.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Shortly after Jim's death, Nick had a "Sunday Night Muppets" block... while I don't know for sure if TMS was part of that block (I'm assuming it was), I know for a fact they also aired holiday specials, because I have recordings of THE MUPPETS' VALENTINE SHOW and THE CHRISTMAS TOY from Sunday Night Muppets.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That is pretty cool, and there are many promos for muppet stuff on the channel like that matinee thing, or that TMS commercial, though it was not until I got the actual TMS box sets that I knew they cut out a lot of stuff just for the UK spot. Was the UK spot that important for them to cut the show, and sometimes rearrange parts, it was chaos, I mean usually they are just extra songs, and while a lot of them are good like the ones with Rowlf or The Electric Mayhem, it seems weird to cut out backstage scenes or sketches just to air one that adds little to the episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Shortly after Jim's death, Nick had a "Sunday Night Muppets" block... while I don't know for sure if TMS was part of that block (I'm assuming it was), I know for a fact they also aired holiday specials, because I have recordings of THE MUPPETS' VALENTINE SHOW and THE CHRISTMAS TOY from Sunday Night Muppets.
The Sunday Night Muppets block happened in November and December 1992, and featured (in order from the best I can remember) The Frog Prince, The Muppets Go to the Movies, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, The Secrets of the Muppets, The Christmas Toy, A Muppet Family Christmas, and Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (so every other special was basically a story special with very few recognizable characters, alternating with a "Muppet Show Special"). The following year, again from November until December, Nick ran "Friday Night Muppets", with the same specials in the same order (except I specifically don't remember The Frog Prince being included; maybe it was and I just missed the commercials and didn't watch Nickelodeon that Friday night).

I wonder why they ended after only two months, since Nickelodeon clearly had the broadcast rights to more specials (though I wonder if Nick might have obtained the rights to more later on, in time for Muppet Matinee). Some of the specials would air as part of Special Delivery, and on Memorial Day 1993, Nick aired an 8-hour Muppet marathon, with each hour alternating between a special and two back-to-back episodes of Muppet Babies, but most of the specials were the same ones shown on Sunday Night Muppets, the only exception being Hey Cinderella (I wonder if that one was ever shown as part of Special Delivery... I wouldn't start looking in the TV listings every week until Muppet Matinee began, but I wouldn't be surprised if before I looked in the listings and saw Hey Cinderella, Living with Dinosaurs, Monster Maker, or Tale of the Bunny Picnic in the Special Delivery time slot and didn't care because the titles don't have anything Muppet-related in them).

But the Muppets were never on Nick at Nite, though Sunday Night Muppets and The Muppet Show were right before Nick at Nite, as was the first Nickelodeon broadcast of The Muppets Valentine Show. I have Nickelodeon recordings of TMS episodes that have the "coming up next on Nickelodeon..." bumper before that (and not announcing anything after, which was the case with the shows that came before Nick at Nite), and I'm pretty sure I have a few that continue recording right to the start of Nick at Nite (where a special bumper telling us that Nick at Nite is starting is played).