The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

mr3urious

Reaction score
Even The Lego Movie has more of a reason to exist, as even though it has no backstory itself, it's a brand that celebrates creativity and imagination, and the writers went with that to build a whole Lego universe.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
However, as it leaked out that Sony was actively trying to attain the Mario movie license (don't think that'll ever happen)
Well after that Bob Hoskins-John Leguizamo-Dennis Hopper movie (that I actually like, but I know it's considered one of the worst movies ever, and Bob Hoskins even says it's the one thing he regretted in his career), didn't Nintendo swear they would never allow any of their properties to be made into movies again?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well after that Bob Hoskins-John Leguizamo-Dennis Hopper movie (that I actually like, but I know it's considered one of the worst movies ever, and Bob Hoskins even says it's the one thing he regretted in his career), didn't Nintendo swear they would never allow any of their properties to be made into movies again?
And to an obnoxiously stick up their butts degree. Archie has proven themselves to be apt with comic book adaptions and still Nintendo refuses a comic book license. And that's essentially the least they could do. You'd even think Nintendo would at least give Mario a native anime series, but they barely let it out then. An obscure movie, an obscure series of video tapes where they just retold fairy tales with Mario characters, and an obscure animated video game for use on some weird Ban Dai thing. As with the 4 American Cartoon series (I'm counting Donkey Kong), there wasn't even supposed to be a that time either. They were much nicer with the French/Canadian (not French Canadian) Donkey Kong Country series that at least got a Japanese Dub.

And remember... this is the company that revels in the fact it has a franchise that churns out that kid friendly, uber repetitive, formulaic as heck thing about fighting monsters like that's a bleeding masterpiece.

As for a Space Invaders movie... how is that going to be pulled off. You can call Independence Day freaking Space Invaders and it would still work. We've had countless generic alien invasion movies, at best they'd have a generic plotline that would be otherwise unremarkable.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Who's responsible for STRANGE MAGIC? It looks interesting... but it also looks like a mashup of FERNGULLY, EPIC, and an animated series a friend of mine has been toiling away on for years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Who's responsible for STRANGE MAGIC?
George Lucas. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Even when George was good, he was hardly good outside of Star Wars or Indiana Jones. I'm reserving judgement for that one.

Even The Lego Movie has more of a reason to exist, as even though it has no backstory itself, it's a brand that celebrates creativity and imagination, and the writers went with that to build a whole Lego universe.
Lego knows how to make a brand. Mixels, Ninjago, Bionicle, and Legends of Chima... all crazy worlds created to sell toys and they work. It's no surprise that great writing made The Lego Movie a great movie first, a commercial for the brand well after. It's a movie that should have by all means been a 90 minute toy commercial that you pay to see, and yet I barely got the vibe that it was at all. Somehow, they made the situation more organic than most non-toy related kid's films... heck, more organic and fun than most adult comedies. And even outside of the movie... I love what they've done with DC's super heroes, Star Wars, and Marvel (though not enough of the latter) in animated media. Who needs that Seth Green produced Star Wars parody series when the Lego one is as good or better?

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
A few years ago, me and my family went to see Rango and we REALLY didn't like it. I know some of you enjoy the movie, but in my opinion Rango is one of the worst CGI kids movies I've ever seen.

Oh, and let's not forget, Alpha and Omega.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, let's see what makes a bad CGI film.

Awful, pre-1990's looking animation.

Absolutely pointless, yet derivative plotlines

Reprehensible writing.

Terrible voice cast phoning it in

Complete and utter disregard to the audience

Yeah... Rango has none of those. Alpha and Omega yes, Rango heck no.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
George Lucas. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Even when George was good, he was hardly good outside of Star Wars or Indiana Jones. I'm reserving judgement for that one.
Did you ever see TWICE UPON A TIME? He's responsible for that one. Well, actually, Korty Films and the guy who created MIKE, LU & OG were really responsible, Lucas merely executive produced and distributed it... but it's considered a masterpiece, albeit super rare since there's a big dispute between Korty and a co-producer since there's two versions of the movie (a clean version and a dirty version).

And yes, I agree, RANGO's good... it's just really misrated... it really should have been PG-13... it's kind of like a step above the first SHREK (remember how edgy that one was compared to the sequels?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Did you ever see TWICE UPON A TIME? He's responsible for that one. Well, actually, Korty Films and the guy who created MIKE, LU & OG were really responsible, Lucas merely executive produced and distributed it
Sure, he was just a monitory position on that film, but even then that was when he was a young visionary instead of the crabby old perfectionist in his own little world. You'd think he'd step in and buy back the rights of that movie away from John and the other guy so it can actually get released. He certainly has the money. Even with the Disney money going directly to charity.

And yes, I agree, RANGO's good... it's just really misrated... it really should have been PG-13... it's kind of like a step above the first SHREK (remember how edgy that one was compared to the sequels?)
I've a huge problem with PG rated kid's movies. The vast majority of them just feel like they could get away with just a G rating. Even Madagascar 3 managed to get a PG rating when it wasn't even close. They replaced a certain word in "New York, New York" with "heck" even though the first one had a HUGE sight gag based on said word. I'd say Rango was definitely the first movie since the first Shrek that deserved a PG, even though it's a borderline PG-13. I'd say Rango was the movie they were trying to make again with The Lone Ranger, but they failed at it.

What really disappointed me about Rango, however, was the lack of highly detailed collectibles. Seriously, NECA, that would have been prime for them. I LOVED the highly detailed character designs in that one, and it should have garnered some older collector's friendly action figures or statuettes or figurines of some kind. All it got was a Burger King promotion, and half the toys were junk.