Texturizing fur.......questions!

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
How about building puppets with memory foam? I haven't used it to date but I've got some available to me for me free. I can't see any issues with using it but what do some of you other builders think?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Re: spray paint, unless you're extraordinarily talented with "rattle can" spray paint, I wouldn't use it to add colour to the face of a puppet. It's impossible to control the spray, which is the reason most people use an airbrush. At a shop where I used to work the shop supervisor sometimes used Pantone Markers to add colour and details to the faces of soft puppets. I haven't don it myself, but it seemed to work well!

VonCount

Reaction score
I might have done it the wrong way but I used a hose and made sure the fabric was wet with my fingers, then tumble dried it. I was afraid to clog my washing machine with faux fur, so I chose this over using the washer for agitation, and i removed the fabric from the dryer and line dried it once it was.the desired look. The fur backing did soften, so my method isn't ideal if you want to keep the fur stiff.

Wally77

Reaction score
How about building puppets with memory foam? I haven't used it to date but I've got some available to me for me free. I can't see any issues with using it but what do some of you other builders think?
I'd love to see how it turns out! Maybe post a thread with your progress!

Ian Mac

Reaction score
after reading this thread I did a test on some black long fur today out of curiosity to see how it's appearance changes. I cut a 6 inch diameter piece and boiled it for 6 minutes making sure it didn't touch the metal sides of the pan. I then pressed it between a towel to get most of the water out and left it to dry on the radiator. When it was dry it was like a short tight curly hair piece. Not sure if that's the usual result, I've yet to play around with other boiling timings.