Timepiece

dwayne1115

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I had thought that JHC put it up on there YouTube feed?
They only have a couple of brief excerpts, but not the full film.

Likewise, JHC has only posted excerpts from THE CUBE as well, though the full video keeps popping up from different people from time to time; there's a really poor/fuzzy copy up right now, then there's a clearer posting that has a Pink Floyd album dubbed into the full special in an attempt to beat copyright.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
They only have a couple of brief excerpts, but not the full film.

Likewise, JHC has only posted excerpts from THE CUBE as well, though the full video keeps popping up from different people from time to time; there's a really poor/fuzzy copy up right now, then there's a clearer posting that has a Pink Floyd album dubbed into the full special in an attempt to beat copyright.
Out of the two which one do you like the best? I would have to say I like the Cube more then Time piece.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I may lean a little more towards TIME PIECE: it's a lot more visually interesting, and being shot on film, it retains a cleaner, crisper, richer look than THE CUBE, since video tape was still primitive back then.

That, and THE CUBE - as I reviewed on Scarblog sometime back - really makes you feel just as confused and frustrated as the man trapped in the Cube: as much as he wants to get out of the Cube, that's how much you want him to get out of the Cube.

I would like to be able to see all of YOUTH '68 sometime.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I may lean a little more towards TIME PIECE: it's a lot more visually interesting, and being shot on film, it retains a cleaner, crisper, richer look than THE CUBE, since video tape was still primitive back then.

That, and THE CUBE - as I reviewed on Scarblog sometime back - really makes you feel just as confused and frustrated as the man trapped in the Cube: as much as he wants to get out of the Cube, that's how much you want him to get out of the Cube.

I would like to be able to see all of YOUTH '68 sometime.
As would I! When reading Jim Henson the bio it helped me understand both Time Piece and the Cube a lot more. I will also agree with you about how Time Piece just looks a lot better then the Cube does as far as film vs. video.
If you watch Jim's early works and then compare it to some of the things he was trying to do with say Fraggle Rock, and some things on the Jim Henson Hour you can see how aware Jim was of his time and not ever having enough time to do everything he wanted to do.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
This is so cool!:smile: I thought both these specials plus Youth '68 sounded very interesting when I read about them in the Jim Henson biography.:smile:

It's amazing how much time, effort, and creativity Jim had put into this. It really shows how much of a genius he was.:wink: I sure adore the little sound effects!!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This is so cool!:smile: I thought both these specials plus Youth '68 sounded very interesting when I read about them in the Jim Henson biography.:smile:

It's amazing how much time, effort, and creativity Jim had put into this. It really shows how much of a genius he was.:wink: I sure adore the little sound effects!!
What's sad is that a lot of people at the time did not fully understand the messages Jim was trying to get across with these films. They where in a way a lot like the first Muppets he built very abstract. Like Kermit not being a frog, but being Kermit the Thing.
I would love for Lionsgate to do one of two things. One make a movie based on Jim Henson the Bio, or dive deeper into the Henson archives and release Time Piece, The Cube and Youth 68 on DVD.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would love for Lionsgate to do one of two things. One make a movie based on Jim Henson the Bio, or dive deeper into the Henson archives and release Time Piece, The Cube and Youth 68 on DVD.
Lionsgate no longer has the video rights to Jim's work (and that was just the childrens/family titles, not sure if the experimental films were included in that contract).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's sad is that a lot of people at the time did not fully understand the messages Jim was trying to get across with these films.
Jim was really ahead of his time in a lot of ways: as soon as any advances were made in any field of production technology, he was already playing around with it and seeing how he could incorporate it into his work, even up till his death; when you think about it, he was pretty much pioneering a lot of techniques, methods, and practices that are pretty much normal today, even including reality TV... heck, when you think about it, he pretty much predicted YouTube in a sense (imagine the things he could do with YT)!