Is Frozen overrated?

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
While I still dislike the movie, and think it's overhyped (there's still a metric butt-ton of Frozen merchandise in the store where I work, and probably more coming in), I think a good chunk of its fanbase makes me dislike it even more (I talked about it a bit in the "Most Obnoxious Fanbases" thread. You know, even if a movie is super popular, and a lot of people really really like it, people who dislike it are not contrarian, or mean, or stupid, or wrong by default). I would really hope people would be mature enough to hear criticisms out, and not shut them down, or talk to people like they have no right to have any opinion about anything popular unless it's a positive one. Just nodding, agreeing, and pretending like no criticisms are valid is not how the arts/entertainment world at large works; it's not a "Happiness is Mandatory" world at all. And for the good things in this movie (the animation, the backgrounds, some of the ambiance music, a couple of the characters), there were many things I honestly didn't like (and some of them could have been improved with better development), and I don't think I'm in the wrong for that.

And no one better insult me again by acting like I want their "sympathy" for saying this. I'm just tired of nonsense...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I must say that I finally watched the movie last night, and I loved it. Every character was likable in his/her own way. There was action, comedy,drama, it had something for everyone.
I really like how Disney is stepping away from true love from just a boy girl princess, prince point of view. They did this in Maleficent as well, and I find that change to be very refreshing. I thought the story of Frozen was also very well written, and really showed a wonderful bond of sister hood. Which again is also something Disney has never really done to much of before.
The Music was awesome! "Let it Go" is not the only great song from the movie, but I understand now why everyone loves it so much. It is a very powerful song,and when you hear it in the movie it's just amazing.
So I give Frozen a 10 out of 10! Great Movie!

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Well I must say that I finally watched the movie last night, and I loved it. Every character was likable in his/her own way. There was action, comedy,drama, it had something for everyone.
I really like how Disney is stepping away from true love from just a boy girl princess, prince point of view. They did this in Maleficent as well, and I find that change to be very refreshing. I thought the story of Frozen was also very well written, and really showed a wonderful bond of sister hood. Which again is also something Disney has never really done to much of before.
The Music was awesome! "Let it Go" is not the only great song from the movie, but I understand now why everyone loves it so much. It is a very powerful song,and when you hear it in the movie it's just amazing.
So I give Frozen a 10 out of 10! Great Movie!
Yes I agree with you on that part about true love. In my opinion Disney is going back to their classic styles with both animated and live action movies. However, at the same time they're realizing the flaws films like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White have, but still know to keep the good stuff! I especially like that the last three princesses to have a love interest can't stand him for half the movie. Rapunzel and Flynn, Anna and Kristoff, and ESPECIALLY Tiana and Naveen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Have to admit, I really wish Big Hero Six got a fraction of this love.

I'm guessing Disney didn't know it would be that much of a surprise hit, as all the merchandise of Frozen came out after the movie. You can't punt a football without hitting Olaf. Meanwhile Wreck it Ralph got no love outside of Disney Infinity past the movie's release and I doubt we'll see too much of Big Hero after the BanDai toyline ends. That does kind of stink, but I'm not going to blame that movie for setting the bar too high.

And yet, as far as real overrated movies go? Rio. It's visually stunning, yes. But I saw it a couple months ago and it was meh at best. And the sequel's actually so bad that even those who find themselves fans of Rio hate it.

Aaron

Reaction score
I hate the word overrated. It's just a word people use to give their minority opinion more weight. Nothing can be overrated only well loved. And i say that never having seen Frozen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's one thing when something is popular and it actually speaks to people. As I said a million times, reserve your hate for Planes. NO ONE likes Planes, yet Disney seems to think everyone does. I was at a Kohls yesterday and there were so many Planes Christmas ornaments left on clearance. I wish I took a picture of it. I don't mind them shoving Frozen in our faces. It made a crapload of money. I never hear anyone speak of Planes, even kids.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rio. It's visually stunning, yes. But I saw it a couple months ago and it was meh at best. And the sequel's actually so bad that even those who find themselves fans of Rio hate it.
I've been saying the same thing about ICE AGE for years: ICE AGE was fine as a stand-alone movie... sure, the characters may have had enough meat to them that they may have warranted further exploring, especially in the end of the first movie, considering Manny finally accepted that he, Sid, and Diego were, indeed, their own little herd, but other than that, movie itself, while good, just wasn't quite spectacular enough to merit a sequel.

And now we're getting a fifth movie.

I hated MELTDOWN; DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS was meh at best - Simon Pegg saved it, but it came out around the same time as the trainwreck LAND OF THE LOST remake, so it felt like it was trying to compete in the whole other-dimension filled with dinosaurs plot device; and I never even bothered with CONTINENTAL DRIFT: just looking at the cast list made me feel like they were trying to get as many currently relevant A-listers as possible to keep the movie afloat... because, let's face it, Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, and Denis Leary are well-known performers, but they've never quite made it passed the B-list.