Is Frozen overrated?

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I like it and I don't think it's overrated. This was just like what happened when The Lion King and Toy Story came out-they made merchandise of those two properties for many years, including the TV shows Timon and Pumbaa and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (though the latter was made when Toy Story got a sequel). I also saw the Disney on Ice show of Frozen along with the Princesses and Heroes one and those were pretty good. I also own some Frozen merchandise. I think How To Train Your Dragon 2 is overrated-I absolutley hated it! The beginning was nice as well as the song the parents sang, but the rest was boring. It might as well be the most boring movie I've seen since DisneyNature's Earth. A lot of my friends say the same thing about HTTYD2 as well. How it snubbed The Lego Movie at many awards shows, I have no clue.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I hate the word overrated. It's just a word people use to give their minority opinion more weight. Nothing can be overrated only well loved. And i say that never having seen Frozen.
Well, maybe if some fans (not all, but a good number) didn't whine and complain, or get defensive when someone says they didn't like a show/movie/comic/what have you that they do (popular or not, it really doesn't matter), maybe people wouldn't get defensive and use words like "overrated" (and what's so bad about having opinions that something gets more credit than it deserves? Isn't that an opinion people are entitled to (even if they like something, they can think it's overrated, like Doug Walker in his Lion King Disneycember review)? I really hate to be as cliche as saying "it's a free country," but I'm running out of ways to basically say that).

Aaron

Reaction score
I'm all for individual opinions, i just feel like calling something overrated is just a pretentious way of disagreeing with the majority.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I'm all for individual opinions, i just feel like calling something overrated is just a pretentious way of disagreeing with the majority.
For crying out loud, what's so pretentious about it? Is it saying everyone who likes it is a moron? Is it saying everyone who likes it lacks the ability to think for themselves. No, it's not. THAT would be pretentious (but then again, some people think just disagreeing with the majority is, in itself, pretentious, which is, forgive me, but just plain stupid).

:sigh:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been saying the same thing about ICE AGE for years: ICE AGE was fine as a stand-alone movie... sure, the characters may have had enough meat to them that they may have warranted further exploring, especially in the end of the first movie, considering Manny finally accepted that he, Sid, and Diego were, indeed, their own little herd, but other than that, movie itself, while good, just wasn't quite spectacular enough to merit a sequel.

And now we're getting a fifth movie.
Yeah, I mean, say what you will about Frozen, Ice Age is completely and totally overrated, but this time by its own parent company. I like the movies (to an extent), the characters are fun. But It really didn't need to go any further than, generously speaking, the third film. And I agree about the second one. It was meh. The fourth one was like watching a pretty decent wacky film about pirates and a senile sloth that wants Sid to chew that sandwich for her, and a crappy cliche ridden tween positive social message plotline that felt like a bad Disney live action show. Worst part about a fifth one is that Scrat's story arc had a beautifully insane conclusion that put the joke to bed once and for all. Nothing they can do now would top it, in fact they'd just rehash the same "he can't eat his acorn" jokes to an annoying degree. And it was in the last 2 movies to an extent.

But that's just Blue Sky. I have a lot of faith in the Peanuts movie, mostly because the Schulz estate is extremely vigilant, and were probably on the writers' backs the entire time to make sure the project has consistent Peanuts quality. But they had to give a sequel to Rio, a film by all means which was okay I guess at best. The visuals were stunning and I give them credit for trying to make Brazil look as authentic as possible. I know the movie made some impact and some money, but the second one isn't even liked by fans of the franchise. yet it made a decent amount of money, so you know there's going to be a third one. Robots was the film they made that deserved a sequel, didn't get one, it's lost in the shuffle... and it was the best thing they ever did. Robots is quite underrated.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm posting this to troll all-a-yallz who are detractors.

A new short will be matched with the Cinderella movie.

And frankly, Disney is doing it right with this one. Rumors of a sequel have thankfully been debunked. Not that Disney wouldn't be above that sort of thing eventually... but with the revelation of Toy Story 4, Disney continuing these movies via specials and shorts is a far better use of their characters.

Too bad we can't get a Big Hero 6 short before Age of Ultron, though.

mr3urious

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's honestly the first time I've actually sat through an entire newer Nostalgia Critic video in about three years.

He brings up something I've kind of mentioned before in the past that I think both Daniel and Drtooth have contested, in that there really is a communal feeling about going and seeing a new movie for the first time, which is why a lot of people still opt to pay the $30 or so to see it in theaters as opposed to just waiting and renting/buying it on DVD and watching it by yourself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Doug Walker weighs in on the hype surrounding Frozen and others like it. I agree with most of what he says here, particularly when he says he'd rather have something of high quality with a lot of love and care put into it receive tons of attention and praise over something mediocre like Twilight.
Hype and overexposure do ruin characters, that is true. Disney's 90's- 00's era Winnie the Pooh franchise milking made me hate the character, one I loved as a younger child. Especially since even Mickey and Co got a backseat to Pooh, and Pooh beanbags in different sweaters were all they sold. It unfortunately waters down the actual quality Pooh projects, which is a tad unfair, even coming from me. That's what happens when something becomes a brand.

I agree fully. Frozen was all about love, and it's a quality animated film all the way around. Not without the occasional oversight, but that's what happens when it takes hours and hours to render a second of footage. the Oscar acceptance speech by the Let it Go scribes was one of the most adorable acceptance speeches of all time. No egotism, no activism, just a couple of happy, smiling, giggling song writers who couldn't be more grateful they won. Contrast with McCrapahey's stoned, egotistical, entitled acceptance. YOU made ONE movie that qualifies as good, and somehow it deserved merit. Now you can go back to the schlockfests that you're randomly inserted into. Family Guy is 100% right about you. Overrated isn't the word for that hack.

Errr... Ahem. The Let it Go writers gave a cute speech, didn't they. It made me glad they won, and I'm not a huge fan of the song. There are films that are overrated because they're overmarketed, overhyped, and overexposed. then there are ones that are overrated because they're truly terrible, but somehow find a large enough audience of gullible tweenage girls that can accept an abusive relationship as "romantic." Frozen was a labor of love that brought positivity and adorableness to the table. Twilight was a perfect counterpoint. By all means, it's awful, based on an awful book by an awful writer. It's a film because they can make money. Same dealio with Divergent. Steal Hunger Games's plotline, change a couple names around... no love there. Not even in novel form.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
For crying out loud, what's so pretentious about it? Is it saying everyone who likes it is a moron? Is it saying everyone who likes it lacks the ability to think for themselves. No, it's not. THAT would be pretentious (but then again, some people think just disagreeing with the majority is, in itself, pretentious, which is, forgive me, but just plain stupid).

:sigh:
Replying to myself (because I can) because a though occurred to me: would anyone concede that it's pretty pretentious to act like one's opinion on a film is automatically worth more any opposing opinion just because the former is the more popular opinion? Just wondering. I'm not saying this to attack anyone, but...