Back To Square One?(The Muppets' 60th Anniversary)

beaker

Reaction score
1. That sucks Frozen is running through mid may, was planning a trip to disneyland in may. Will postpone TIL MUPPETVISION 3D IS BROUGHT BACK
:smile:

2. Lionsgate released MORE Muppet stuff on dvd in two years than Disney has in a decade. Go figure. They released song of the cloud forest and Dog City, which were part of the JHH...sadly, they could not release Muppet Television portions(the other half Storyteller were all released on dvd I think)

beaker

Reaction score
Anyone know what the Disney Parks special will be for their 60th anniversary? Like get in for $60 ? :smile:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
According to part 3 of The Muppet Mindset's interview with Kirk Thatcher, Disney does plan to do a lot more Muppet stuff regardless of how Muppets Most Wanted did, but he's not allowed to reveal any of it until they're announced.
Hopes that includes the TMS a Season 4 and 5 DVDs, as well as more old school Muppet material (like the Tales From Muppetland specials, Muppets Tonight, etc.) finally making their way to DVD, more Muppet attractions and offerings coming to the Disney parks, etc.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Hopes that includes the TMS a Season 4 and 5 DVDs, as well as more old school Muppet material (like the Tales From Muppetland specials, Muppets Tonight, etc.) finally making their way to DVD, more Muppet attractions and offerings coming to the Disney parks, etc.
I was thinking they meant a new muppet TV show or new muppet viral videos. I really want to see either one or both, especially a show that airs on ABC or another major network.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I also assumed that he wasn't talking about new releases of old content (though that would be just as welcome).

It's said in part one that the interview happened a few months ago and just got posted a few weeks ago. I wonder if the upcoming Disney Junior interstitial series was announced at the time or not. But considering what he said in the interview I expect a bit more than just that (of course they could also cancel all those plans that we don't know about).

Considering how some were worried about the Muppets franchise due to how Muppets Most Wanted did at the box office, I wonder if we should think about Muppet presence when Muppets from Space came out and bombed, though that movie remains the lowest-grossing Muppet movie (can't remember off-hand how much higher Muppets Most Wanted ranks in non-inflated box office sales) and is not as well-received by fans as MMW. I know, this could be like comparing apples and oranges... Actually, I hate oranges, but don't hate MFS, so maybe we shouldn't be comparing apples (which would be Muppets Most Wanted) and oranges... How about Muppets from Space be pears or peaches? I like those but not as much as apples. So comparing MMW and MFS is like comparing apples and peaches.

After Muppets from Space flopped, there was still quite a bit of Muppet stuff out around that time. The fact that it was one of the Jim Henson Company's main franchises (as opposed to being one of many franchises owned by Disney) might have helped (but then again, at the time Bear in the Big Blue House and Farscape were really successful, and the company still owned the Sesame Street Muppets), and aside from video games and appearances I can't think of any Muppet content that came out between the release of MFS and EM.TV buying the company. Would it be wrong to think of it as a good thing that a company was willing to buy Henson during this time? So Columbia Pictures pretty much ended its 10-15-movie distribution deal for Henson (not just because of MFS, but all of the Jim Henson Pictures films that came out were box office flops). But even then, for the next few years it seems like new Muppet films (especially Muppet Haunted House) were being announced as being in development. And EM.TV had made plans to produce a new Muppet TV show, which may or may not be the same show that was being developed for Fox in 2002. And we got Muppetfest, Kermit's Swamp Years, and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie shortly after. And luckily this was when the company was celebrating the 25th anniversary of The Muppet Show, so we got so much merchandise (including the Palisades figures).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well like the interview said it costs so much money, and it takes two to three years for a movie to be shot, edited and then released. What it sounds like Disney wants to do is get the Muppets out there on a more regular bases. Which would mean in my mind a new TV show, viral videos, and so forth.
Let's face it the Muppets where really hitting a high note with all of the videos they where doing before The Muppets where released. There website had quite a bit of new videos, that where smart, cute, and most of all funny. They also felt like you where watching a newer version of the Muppet Show, which I think is something that both The Jim Henson Hour, and Muppets tonight may have been lacking. Then on the other side of that you have Bohemian Rhapsody that took the internet by storm, and was a huge success. So maybe Disney realises that was where the Muppets have been the strongest recently, and are trying to go back to that, which I personally am all for.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well like the interview said it costs so much money, and it takes two to three years for a movie to be shot, edited and then released. What it sounds like Disney wants to do is get the Muppets out there on a more regular bases. Which would mean in my mind a new TV show, viral videos, and so forth.
Let's face it the Muppets where really hitting a high note with all of the videos they where doing before The Muppets where released. There website had quite a bit of new videos, that where smart, cute, and most of all funny. They also felt like you where watching a newer version of the Muppet Show, which I think is something that both The Jim Henson Hour, and Muppets tonight may have been lacking. Then on the other side of that you have Bohemian Rhapsody that took the internet by storm, and was a huge success. So maybe Disney realises that was where the Muppets have been the strongest recently, and are trying to go back to that, which I personally am all for.
I really think a muppet sitcom could thrive on network TV. All everyone ever says is that they need to bring back TMS. This is not just hardcore fans, this is everyone everywhere, they just want it. If it aired on Sundays at 8pm on ABC it would work really well, and could be really big. Though we would just have to wait and see if the ratings are good. Though, I think it could last, but one discouraging thing is the ratings flop that the LGMHS thing was.