Could TMS Be Considered a Sitcom

Muppet Master

Reaction score
When looking at more than a few lists of best sitcoms, I kept seeing TMS listed on there. I know TMS is a variety show, but could it be considered a sitcom. A sitcom is defined as a situation comedy. So what are your thoughts, could the situations make TMS qualify as a sitcom or not?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I'm not sure honestly. It depends on how sitcom is defined

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not really. I'm sure if you were to dissect the show, and take into consideration many of the episodes had some kind of underlying plot to them that served as a backbone for the rest of the show (ala Statler's ever-growing African berry bush when wanting to meet Valerie Harper, Gilda Radner and Beaker being accidentally glued together, etc.)... or, even, our look into Kermit trying to keep the show together could probably be considered the situation of a situation comedy... but really, TMS is first and foremost a variety show, and a throwback to the corniest of vaudeville... I wouldn't really classify it as a sitcom.

Just like WHOSE LINE occasionally has a theme for an episode, but it doesn't really make it a sitcom.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I could see why people would see it as a sitcom. But as Snowth said, it was first and foremost a variety sketch comedy show. Plot seemed to always be subordinate to the guest and to the skits.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That is true, and I did find it weird that they would put it in that category, if there was much less on stage, and more backstage than it would be a sitcom, but TMS is a variety show certainly.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
One thing I would really want is some syndication channel to air it with all the classic shows. Then I could tape some of the episodes from seasons 4 and 5, and I would get to see what TMS is rated on TV. I would expect a TV-G rating, but it is possible that some episodes with a lot of violence like the Jaye P. Morgan or Alice Cooper episodes could be rated TV-PG-V, and some of the episodes with skimpy outfits like Raquel Welch or the Lola Falana one would probably be rated TV-PG, but I really just want reruns.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It should be on tv land
TV Land doesn't care anymore. They've flat-out stated they no longer have an interesting in catering to older audiences and introducing younger generations to classic television, and instead are focusing more on producing their own original sitcoms with has-been actors.
One thing I would really want is some syndication channel to air it with all the classic shows. Then I could tape some of the episodes from seasons 4 and 5, and I would get to see what TMS is rated on TV. I would expect a TV-G rating, but it is possible that some episodes with a lot of violence like the Jaye P. Morgan or Alice Cooper episodes could be rated TV-PG-V, and some of the episodes with skimpy outfits like Raquel Welch or the Lola Falana one would probably be rated TV-PG, but I really just want reruns.
I doubt those ratings. In the case of "violent" episodes, they'd probably receive a TV-Y7-FV at best.

What we really need is a puppet channel. You've got niche networks for animation, westerns, preschool programming, reruns of shows from the past twenty years... with all the puppetry work out there, it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a channel dedicated to puppetry work. There's dozens of programs that would right at home on such a channel (some Henson, some not):

ALLEGRA'S WINDOW
BARNEY AND FRIENDS
BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE
BETWEEN THE LIONS
BIG BAG
BOOBAH
THE BUGALOOS
CAPTAIN KANGAROO
THE CHARLIE HORSE MUSIC PIZZA
CRANK YANKERS
D.C. FOLLIES
FAR OUT SPACE NUTS
FRAGGLE ROCK
THE GREAT SPACE COASTER
H.R. PUFNSTUF
THE JIM HENSON HOUR
JOHNNY AND THE SPRITES
KUKLA, FRAN, AND OLLIE
LAMB CHOP'S PLAYALONG
LIDSVILLE
THE LOST SAUCER
THE MR. POTATO HEAD SHOW
THE MUPPET SHOW
MUPPETS TONIGHT!
PRYOR'S PLACE
THE PUZZLE PLACE
SESAME STREET
SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS
TELETUBBIES
THEODORE TUGBOAT
TINY TOTS
WIMZIE'S HOUSE

And those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
but really, TMS is first and foremost a variety show, and a throwback to the corniest of vaudeville... I wouldn't really classify it as a sitcom.
Muppets Tonight on the other hand could lean towards sitcom territory at times. Especially towards the end of its brief run. I'd even say The Jim Henson Hour was a little bit closer to a sitcom than TMS.

TV Land doesn't care anymore. They've flat-out stated they no longer have an interesting in catering to older audiences and introducing younger generations to classic television, and instead are focusing more on producing their own original sitcoms with has-been actors.
I remember when TV Land ran sitcoms older than my parents (both were born in the early 60s). I suppose the closest we have to TV Land now are Me TV and, dare I say, Hulu.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MeTV's good, they just need to really broaden their lineup a bit, they have a rather limited selection of shows to watch. I've only see MISTER ED for like a year or so back in 2003 when TV Land had it for a brief time, that'd be nice to see again.