David and Maria DID get married

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Fuzzygobo, once again, I'm gonna say that I'm quite impressed with the memories you have from the show back then! Back in August 2008, when Sesamestreet.org was launched, I would spend a great deal of time on the Video Player, and with every rare clip I saw, my mind was absolutely blown! (It felt like Summer 2006 all over again- when it felt like everyday a new classic SS clip that I had never seen before was added to YouTube!) If this particular insert made its way out of "Sesame Limbo" onto the Video Player when relaunched, I probably would have been quite speechless to see that such an insert like that could be pulled off back then, and it wouldn't surprise me if they only showed it once, considering that it involves actual dying.

Boy...Sesame Workshop oughta consider making a DVD with random rare clips and maybe include this particular one. I know it's not gonna happen, but still...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
No doubt about it -- this was a real sequence. I've posted about it myself on other boards.

A couple of other details: when I saw this, there were actually 3 segments. The first and last were as described, but the middle sequence was short, and only had David taking one round item out of his jacket. I think it was a 45-rpm vinyl record.

Also, there was background organ music playing throughout, along with the traditional Wedding March at the very beginning. But when they returned for the final segment, the organ was clearly out-of-tune by then! Hmmm, can the notes of a pipe organ become off-key over time, the way, say, the strings on a piano can?

I remember Maria's rage as "I've been standing here for sixty-five years and you still can't find the right ring. I'm. Leaving. You!!"

I read somewhere that there was another multi-part sequence where the characters aged ridiculously between segments. I think it was Maria and Gordon, where one of them had a vendor's pushcart; one of them wanted water, and got it, but not before littering the landscape with myriads of other items, due to some lack of communication.

There was a skit (late-70's vintage) of Gordon crawling through the desert, almost dying of thirst. Maria comes along with a cart (looks like a Good Humor
ice cream chest mounted on a bicycle), she's dressed up in her uniform and not breaking one bead of sweat. She has four items in her cart- a glass of water, a glass of soda, a glass of milk, and a potato. She sings "One Of These things Is Not Like The Others". Gordon, now dehydrated as anything, is reaching for something to drink, and... NO LIE!... Maria slaps his hand tells him not to interrupt her song! (Nice, ain't she?) Then she notices how hot it is, and guzzles down all three glasses. She finally notices poor thirsty Gordon.... and gives him the potato!!! At least Maria promises to go back to the oasis and bring him back something to quench his thirst, so just sit tight with your potato, okay?

I know this was played up for comic relief, but it probably didn't air more than once or twice, since it did make Maria come off as incredibly cruel.
Again, I was blessed with being in the right place at the right time to catch this gem.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
There was a skit (late-70's vintage) of Gordon crawling through the desert, almost dying of thirst. Maria comes along with a cart (looks like a Good Humor
ice cream chest mounted on a bicycle), she's dressed up in her uniform and not breaking one bead of sweat. She has four items in her cart- a glass of water, a glass of soda, a glass of milk, and a potato. She sings "One Of These things Is Not Like The Others". Gordon, now dehydrated as anything, is reaching for something to drink, and... NO LIE!... Maria slaps his hand tells him not to interrupt her song! (Nice, ain't she?) Then she notices how hot it is, and guzzles down all three glasses. She finally notices poor thirsty Gordon.... and gives him the potato!!! At least Maria promises to go back to the oasis and bring him back something to quench his thirst, so just sit tight with your potato, okay?

I know this was played up for comic relief, but it probably didn't air more than once or twice, since it did make Maria come off as incredibly cruel.
Again, I was blessed with being in the right place at the right time to catch this gem.
They really pulled off something like this????

ChrisR

Reaction score
I was reminded of this "wedding" sketch the other day and glad I found this forum. I'm happy to say that not only does this skit exist, but I have the audio cassette to prove it! It is dated around 1973 or 74, although I can remember watching it as late as 1976 about the time I was outgrowing Sesame Street, and it is one of my most vivid memories of the show because of how realistic, and creepy, this sketch was. I rather enjoyed it, actually.

But, I can see why it was likely pulled from rotation.

I recorded most of it with a Radio Shack tape recorder (I was ahead of my time in the mid 70's) and it is stored in a closet on a Realistic brand cassette. Would need to locate it (that should be fun), then convert to digital, then find someplace to post it (any ideas where that location would be?), but I am more than certain the tape still exists.

Very cool to find a forum with other classic Sesame Street and Muppet Show fans - they are awesome. At the least, I wanted to get the info out there that in all likelihood I still have that recording of the sketch. Cheers!

Luke kun

Reaction score
Hey, wasn't there another one where they fell into the cake (but were normal aged)?

Last edited by a moderator: