Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4515 - Stinky's First Day of Preschool

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I find it very interesting that Stinky's one of those "Hey! We Need More Muppets For Street Scenes" characters from the 90's, virtually disappeared during the 2000's and now gets his own story almost each season.
That's only started happening since Joey became head writer in season 40. I mean if I had the power to, I would write some significant screen time for my own characters, too. Stinky's role in the story could have been filled by literally any other character.

The problem is Stinky is more of a comic relief than someone who can hold down an entire story. He's very grating after a while. Especially when he kept stopping them while they were posing for the picture. I mean, what was the purpose of all that? It didn't help the story at all, and it went on for what seemed like hours. By the time all the strategies were done it seemed like it would have been the end of the school day.

Also, I'm wondering if the Mrs. Sanchez character was originally supposed to be played by a celebrity. Sesame Street, especially recently, always uses celebrities to play any human roles outside of the regular human characters. Since Jasmine was already used playing someone (presumably) different in the "Incarceration" special, it really took me off guard here that she is back playing a main character in a street story. Maybe a celebrity cancelled at the last minute and they had to bring someone in they already knew.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's only started happening since Joey became head writer in season 40. I mean if I had the power to, I would write some significant screen time for my own characters, too. Stinky's role in the story could have been filled by literally any other character.
Yes and no. I could see it working for Telly, but barely. Barely as in, I don't even think 5 year old kids would think he's preschool age. He seems just a bit older than that to me, and I'd imagine the same for the writers. The story wouldn't work with Elmo since he's a bit too restrained to have major freakouts every time Chris left. Not that it would be completely out of the question, but Stinky was the ultimate choice as the character is prone to loud, overdramatic freakouts. Any other character wouldn't have been quite a good fit.

I still find this an odd choice for an episode as it really isn't written for kids, so much as their parents so they know how to deal with an overly attached child too afraid to go to school. There isn't a thing that kids could get out of it except for the "they'll always come back for you" bit.

That said, Stinky's got some serious OCD in this one. I get he's neurotic and all, but he's just incredibly over the top here. Not accepting any photo of Chris and himself that isn't specifically that one time they dressed up as superheroes? I get what this is supposed to be and all, but really!?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was thankfully just posted.

Highlight of the episode? Most definitely.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I'm watching this episode right now on my local PBS station and I just noticed one of the kids playing in the background is Peter Linz's son!!:fanatic: