Songs You Can't Stand

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So Mojo came out with their list of the top 10 most hated songs of all time, and they included "Cotton Eyed Joe" by Rednex (later remixed by Jock Jams) on the list.

I completely disagree. When I was a kid, we all loved that song, we couldn't get enough of it... in fact, it got to a point that my video production teacher in middle school eventually had to ban it from our school radio because we kept playing it so much... that became one of two songs that we were actually banned from playing (the other being "Cloud Nine" by The Temptations, for obvious reasons).

Schfifty

Reaction score
I'm not so surprised at that. "Cotton Eyed Joe" is something you'd typically hear at school dance parties, and those kind of songs are probably going to make a bunch of "Most Hated Songs..." lists. Same with "Barbie Girl" by Aqua. Although I personally don't hate either of the two, I can see why they're hated by many people.

What are the other songs on the list?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Gangnam Style", "Party in U.S.A.", "We are Never Getting Back Together", "What Makes You Beautiful", "Call Me Maybe" to name a few.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gangham Style seriously doesn't translate well. It was better as a meme, and it just completely lost the point when it went mainstream. The closest American equivalent I can think of is "I'm Bringing Sexy Back." That was kinda written when Justin Timberlake became a comedic actor. You kinda have to know about the weird Asian Pop self-parody wacky type things. Ones that were never meant to be taken all that seriously. I could post a couple Japanese examples, but they're all kinda... just barely straddling the line of NSFW.

It just fits the long line of things that should have stayed on the internet as a meme. But I'll give it this. Unlike Rick Rolling and half the other Memes out there, at least it wasn't introduced to the public a year and a half after everyone online got sick of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In regards to "Call Me Maybe", as I've said before, it's an annoying little pop tune to begin with, but when you actually pay attention to the lyrics (and/or had the misfortune of seeing the video), and realize this is a song about a lonely socially awkward girl who experiences love-at-first-sight when she sees her hunky neighbor and goes all Irma Langinstein by developing a desperate obsession with him and acts like she's an easy score whom all the other guys are fawning over to get him to hook up with her makes it all the more cringeworthy.

I will say this though, MrsPepper told me that Carly Rae Jepsen's been on Canadian radio for years prior to "Call Me Maybe," so maybe they're used to her up there, but I'm kind of glad she hasn't achieved the same level as mainstream success as her mentor Justin Bieber - we have enough to deal with just with him being down here.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, "All About That Bass" is really started to irritate me.

I know 2014 was the year of big butts, but really, this song is just redundant and repetitive, and Meghan Trainor has an annoying and robotic-sounding voice. I hope her mother's proud, though, since she pretty much encouraged her to flaunt her big butt.

I wonder though, is she of any relation to Mike Trainor? I mean he's a comedian who invokes his fatness for comedy, she's a musical artist who invokes her fatness for music... except Mike's genuinely funny, while Meghan is... eh, flavor-of-the-month talent.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Okay, "All About That Bass" is really started to irritate me.

I know 2014 was the year of big butts, but really, this song is just redundant and repetitive, and Meghan Trainor has an annoying and robotic-sounding voice. I hope her mother's proud, though, since she pretty much encouraged her to flaunt her big butt.

I wonder though, is she of any relation to Mike Trainor? I mean he's a comedian who invokes his fatness for comedy, she's a musical artist who invokes her fatness for music... except Mike's genuinely funny, while Meghan is... eh, flavor-of-the-month talent.
Yeah! I do not like this song.
Repetitive! Repetitive! Repetitive!
AHHHHHH! MY EARRRRRRS!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as repetitive songs go though, nothing tops that Katy Perry song where she doesn't know who she's trying to convince: us or herself.

I'M WIDE AWAKE-WAKE-WAKE-WAKE-WAKE-WAKE-WAKE-WAKE

cjd874

Reaction score
As far as repetitive songs go though, nothing tops that Katy Perry song where she doesn't know who she's trying to convince: us or herself.

During the Super Bowl halftime show, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to leave or not. Because Katy Perry is not number one in my book, not by a long shot. All her songs are repetitive. She's easy on the eyes, but not so easy to get out of your head (which describes many pop stars in general today). I would have preferred if the NFL just booked Lenny Kravitz for the halftime show. Because the tradition for about six years was to book established rock acts like the Rolling Stones, McCartney, Springsteen, Prince, and the Who. Call me old-fashioned, but I know what I like.

But thank heavens that KP didn't do THAT one. Not so lucky when she did "California Girls" with the dancing sharks and beach balls. For crying out loud, even the TREES had moving mouths. Is she trying to steal a trick from the Muppet Show? Ridiculous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the perfect summation of the song. Yeah, it's empowering, and it's nice there's a song about butt shaking that isn't horrible corporate Hip-Hop from the past decade where all the songs were about it to the extent that they ran out of ideas for euphemisms for butt. There is a "song" called "Shake Your Laffy Taffy." We live in a world poorer for that being a thing. That's a cultural low point right there. And it's worse than it sounds.

But yeah. That Bass song is awful. On every level. And she does that scratchy smoker's voice through the whole thing. It's like... she has this other song where one of the lines is "Tell me, do you think I'm dumb?" And I'm always saying "YES! Yes you are!"