Favorite Seinfeld moments?

Drtooth

Reaction score
What's the episode where Elaine was delusional or something and mugged Newman for a coffee cake?
I have a fun little story about that one. Have you ever had a friend tell you about an episode of something you've never seen and it sounds so incredibly weird that it can't be true? THAT was this episode. I haven't seen it before, and it wasn't a couple years later when I actually managed to see it.

Jerry's arc was that he was dating the girlfriend of a violent jerk who was in a coma, saying that when he woke up he'd run away like the stooges from every one of their shorts.

Elane had to fast before a major hospital check up, and the hunger was driving her nuts She also dragged George to a psychic... George asked about a trip he was going on, and the psychic said "I dunno about this trip George," causing him to stalk the psychic to the hospital screaming "LUPIS?!?! Is it LUPIS?!?"

Kramer needed a wet dry vac he lent to said violent jerk, Newman threatened to wake him up until Jerry paid him off with the coffee cake, which the now ravenous Elaine takes... and the woken up jerk beats the crap out of Jerry while Kramer continues to ask him for his vacuum back.

Meanwhile, worried about the disaster that would befall him on his island trip, George just gives the ticket to Kramer who was playing "NUDE! BACKGAMMON! WITH! SWIMSUIT MODELS!!" but on the last day he stepped on a jellyfish and it stung his foot, which was probably what the psychic was talking about.

So you see... it was a WEIRD episode. Didn't believe that friend of mine when he told me about it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
What's the episode where Elaine was delusional or something and mugged Newman for a coffee cake?
That was a season three episode called The Suicide, which was pretty funny. Does anyone miss the stand up comedy from the early seasons, they were a really good way to start the show, they should have had more, but that would have been a time consuming thing to produce.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I have a fun little story about that one. Have you ever had a friend tell you about an episode of something you've never seen and it sounds so incredibly weird that it can't be true? THAT was this episode. I haven't seen it before, and it wasn't a couple years later when I actually managed to see it.

Jerry's arc was that he was dating the girlfriend of a violent jerk who was in a coma, saying that when he woke up he'd run away like the stooges from every one of their shorts.

Elane had to fast before a major hospital check up, and the hunger was driving her nuts She also dragged George to a psychic... George asked about a trip he was going on, and the psychic said "I dunno about this trip George," causing him to stalk the psychic to the hospital screaming "LUPIS?!?! Is it LUPIS?!?"

Kramer needed a wet dry vac he lent to said violent jerk, Newman threatened to wake him up until Jerry paid him off with the coffee cake, which the now ravenous Elaine takes... and the woken up jerk beats the crap out of Jerry while Kramer continues to ask him for his vacuum back.

Meanwhile, worried about the disaster that would befall him on his island trip, George just gives the ticket to Kramer who was playing "NUDE! BACKGAMMON! WITH! SWIMSUIT MODELS!!" but on the last day he stepped on a jellyfish and it stung his foot, which was probably what the psychic was talking about.

So you see... it was a WEIRD episode. Didn't believe that friend of mine when he told me about it.
Don't forget that George's session with the psychic was cut off early because Elaine got on her for smoking while pregnant! There was a lot of stuff going on in this episode.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Ever wondered what the original theme song sounded like in the pilot episode when it first aired?

Note: It's in PAL, so it's sped up a little.
I always dug that late '80s vibe of the pilot theme.

Someone was bound to post (re-post?) this eventually, so...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of like the theme song of the pilot, but I don't know if I could see it being as easily memorable or recognizable as the nu jazz-inspired theme we got for the series proper.

Now, as for that Seinfeld Babies clip... I'm sure I'm the only one on this forum who can point this out, but at the 0:23-0:24 mark, you hear that loud, nasally "AH-HAH" laugh just as it cuts to the Seinfeld Babies skit? Seriously, that laugh has been around since the mid-60s! I hear it all the time on HOGAN'S HEROES and THE BANANA SPLITS... then it got retired by the early 70s, but it was brought back in the late 70s and continued into the 90s - it's heard frequently on CHEERS, D.C. FOLLIES, FRASIER, and BECKER.

But anyway, the one thing that bothers me about the Seinfeld Babies skit? Elaine doesn't do anything! Other than that, I love it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but what's up with that theme song that had women (ahem) bebopping and scatting in the background that was only used once? Mercifully only used once. That HAAAAAh-YAAAAAAAAAAYyYy was unnecessary.

I like how in terms of mondegreening, after Jerry says the line about "My Doctor is the worst." it sounds like they're singing "Easy to Beat."

Who thought that was a good idea?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alls I know is Larry David & Jerry Seinfeld added those vocals because they liked them, and they apparently already had the first three episodes of that season with the new vocals (in television, you have to have a minimum of three episodes of a season completed before the network will start airing them), but apparently NBC hated them (and also because David and Seinfeld didn't mention anything to them about it beforehand) and forced them to remove them from the ensuing episodes that had them. I agree though, that HAAAAAh-YAAAAAAAAAAYyYy is grating.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but here it is again for this thread: the pilot went through a lot of editing for syndication: they replaced the original theme with the series' theme, they replaced the titles with the Movie Poster font titles and such... so while they were at it, why didn't they have Jerry dub out calling Kramer Kesler?

Come to think of it, they also went back and reshot all of Frank's scenes with Jerry Stiller to replace the other actor who played the role in his debut episode... but they couldn't go back and dub Jerry calling Kramer Kramer to replace him calling him Kesler?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Alls I know is Larry David & Jerry Seinfeld added those vocals because they liked them, and they apparently already had the first three episodes of that season with the new vocals (in television, you have to have a minimum of three episodes of a season completed before the network will start airing them), but apparently NBC hated them (and also because David and Seinfeld didn't mention anything to them about it beforehand) and forced them to remove them from the ensuing episodes that had them. I agree though, that HAAAAAh-YAAAAAAAAAAYyYy is grating.
You should see the Youtube comments. NO ONE likes them. How the heck drunk were Larry and Jerry when they heard this?

But seriously? It ruins the beats in his stand up routine. The weird "Easy to Beat" sounding comment ruins the joke and the timing. Almost like a heckler is shouting it to throw him off. So not only is the scatting ...well... the other definition of scat, but it's distracting to the very kind of opening they were going for in the older episodes.

Moving on, The Frogger was mentioned a while back. Now, you have to admit, that was a bold joke back then. Everything references video games to the point where every cartoon does at least one Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat (but mostly Street Fighter) sequence. There's Breadwinners which is animated to be all about video game referencing. Big Bang Theory even mentioned emulation (technically illegal) and Atari's Cookie Monster Munch. But before then, anytime you hear of a video game on a TV sitcom, it was always what TV Tropes calls Pac-Man Fever because sitcom writers feel video games are beneath them and that somehow Super Mario contains Rated M for Mature violence (Rosanne sure did).

But at the time, the Frogger segment was well researched. The joke wouldn't have worked had it just been blips and bleeps and Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600 sound effects most shows use. This was prime pre-Video Gamer nerd culture humor. Whoever wrote that one actually bothered to play the game at some point in his life. And back in the mid-90's that was all sorts of amazing!

Aaron

Reaction score
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but here it is again for this thread: the pilot went through a lot of editing for syndication: they replaced the original theme with the series' theme, they replaced the titles with the Movie Poster font titles and such... so while they were at it, why didn't they have Jerry dub out calling Kramer Kesler?

Come to think of it, they also went back and reshot all of Frank's scenes with Jerry Stiller to replace the other actor who played the role in his debut episode... but they couldn't go back and dub Jerry calling Kramer Kramer to replace him calling him Kesler?
Didn't want the lip sync to be off probably.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Didn't want the lip sync to be off probably.
Well, they're both two-syllable names, so it probably wouldn't have been that off.

But has anybody been noticing a few of the secondary SEINFELD actors have been appearing in commercials and such lately? Here's a thermostat commercial with the guy who played Wilhelm:

Of course, when I commented about it, everybody started cursing me out for some reason (guess nobody liked Wilhelm), so I deleted the comment. "Other Walter" has been in car commercials lately too... and I swear I saw that older lady who kept calling Elaine 'Susie" was a little girl's grandmother in that SQUIRRELS horror movie that was supposed to come out last year but didn't.