Most Obnoxious Fandoms

Drtooth

Reaction score
Agreed fully. If someone is adept enough, they'll have a skillful view of adapting characters into alternate universe styles. Then there are those who lack the research and just gratuitously copy and or trace things. It goes back to what I'm always saying about anime. No one bothers with the old school, and the slow evolution of character designs. There technically always was bishonen... I mean, check out Speed Racer's thick, luscious eyelashes. But the small triangle nose huge eyes thing was a slow evolving process from rugged angles and thick eye brows. The bishonen/bishojo style as we know it only really came into the very late 80's into the 90's. Even then, only a handful of skilled artists get the subtleties of that.

Like I said, bad coloring books and yogurt packets have the poorest attempt of anime I've ever seen. It's like the rough equivalent of when they splashed "extreme" on everything, and had kids riding dirt bikes on packets of junk food in the 90's. Meaningless, poor understanding at what's hip by a boardroom of old, out of touch farts. It sucks that you get the same results from supposed fans of the genre, but that's what you get if you don't bother looking outside of a comfort zone. I wish I could see more "anime style" pieces that look like other forms of anime.

As for the humanizing thing, it's good if it's done right. You can't just draw a standard, generic human figure cosplaying. You need the essence of the character.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Having said that though, I'm all up for human versions of all things non human! It's fun for me as it gives me a chance to experiment with character design and try different things. Plus, it's a great way to cheese off racists, believe it or not.
That's the key distinction there; like you said, it gives you a chance to try different things and fool around with design. But when an artists does it all the time with characters (I've seen someone on DA post a ton of pics lately of a humanized Electric Mayhem), they're basically turning the characters into shells to put their own ideas into. Sort of like a "Mary Sue"-ification of the real thing.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
One thing I seen in both deviantart and tumblr is when, in the comments of my drawing of X ship, people say they don't ship it and prefer Y ship. Even though they favourited/reblogged said drawing. In fact, someone straight out said of my latest commission (and I quote) 'Nope! I support [another ship]!'

Just...why would you do that?????

D'Snowth

Reaction score
See, that's pretty much why I don't ship anymore in any fandom: other crazed fans have to ruin the fun of shipping by starting unnecessary flame wars because they don't agree with your shipping, or they're so dead set on supporting their own shipping... it's ridiculous.

EDIT: I posted this last night, why is it just now being posted today?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those that obsessed with fictitious characters' love life to the point of starting flame wars over hypothetical situations really need to settle down and look at where their lives are headed. I swear that part of the Teen Titans Go series is written with them in mind...to troll of course.

There's nothing wrong with shipping, though it's not my thing nor do I really care much one way or another. Though there's pairs that make no sense since the characters hate each other and not in the "that's how you know they're in love" way, the actual; they get disgusted by the very idea type. Like Dudley PuppyX Kitty Katswell. The writers made that perfectly clear.

Then there's the crossover shippers that are so freaking obsessed with cross copyright romances that could never happen. They're fun as hypotheticals and fan arts and stuff, but petitioning companies for them? Really!?!

Harleena

Reaction score
I think I found a video that sums up a good portion of anime fans, including me at one point (that was a very dark time)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey! It's either that or old bearded guys who use Linux.

And that's not even an exaggerated stereotype. I actually KNOW people like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The SNL skit pretty much covers everyone under 30. You've never experienced anime fandom like the older animation enthusiast crowd. Not that it's in anyway a bad thing. These guys are far more die hard than the "going through an anime phase" types, but without the kawaii-ness attitude. They're quite the fansubbed VHS trade during the 1980's types that have a varied array of interests, and like old school sci-fi. Pretty much the ones that caught MST3K before it was popular.

And there's always a bearded guy with an expansive hentai collection that uses Linux. Trust me. Ah, old school sci-fi geeks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm freaking calling it. Mega Man's fandom hands down. And the worst part is I used to have sympathy for them because Capcom really screwed them over for the the 20 year old college drop out d-bag, completely fake "hardcore gamer" market. You know. The ones that only play GTA and Call of Duty and shun anything slightly juvenile, yet wear Mario shirts and calls themselves nerds because they saw one of the Transformers movies or something. Yeah, it sucks they sold out to that crowd and edged some of their loyal employees out with the fanbase. Kinda think that Kenji should have at least stayed to oversee and push for MM Legends 3 and at least manage to stick through something he's famous for helping to develop, but whatever...

Now, I agree. RockmanXover may have been a stupid game and made specifically for bored commuters to play on their phones. They've successfully whined the project to death so it got no import and quickly died in Japan. Way to go! You held your ground and stopped a mediocre project you wouldn't have bothered with to get into the hands of less discerning phone addicts that would pay a fortune to play an overrated, lackluster, money sucking Diamonds ripoff. But I get it. The project probably would have hurt the brand. You know, the brand that's drying up and barely exists? Which isn't too much of a problem, but...

at the same time, they constantly whine about how Capcom doesn't care about their precious Mega Man franchise. Heck, before RMXO, the same exact group was whining about how come they didn't get a Japanese exclusive phone Solitaire (!) game that just has Mega Man characters pasted on the cards. Though I sympathizes with the fact that 2 major games got cancelled and all they got was a crappy iPhone game (which is where the freaking market is headed anyway). That's not entirely unreasonable. But then again, when Capcom vs Marvel 3 came out, shudder.. they used Zero instead of MM classic. WORSE, when new characters were added in, they blames Rocket Racoon's appearance for Mega Man not being in the game, even though it was a balance to Marvel's side. This was well before GOTG was even considered for film, so I can agree that the obscurity of the character was a little... off. But that complaint was better served as to why a more prominent Marvel character (like The Thing) was glossed over, not MM.

But the thing is, even when they get something, they have to whine about it. The last straw for me? The Mega Man and Sonic comics are going to crossover again, this time with a crapload of forgotten SEGA (let's face it... Sonic's their strongest brand) and beloved Capcom characters (including screwed over a hundred times worse Viewtiful Joe that at least got 2 Fighting Game appearances). Now, I understand some concern that there's going to be a buttload of characters and this is the second crossover in 2 years of a comic that's been published for 4. But the number of so called fans who have decided they hate the thing before it even comes out is staggering. I have some problems with that.

• It's a comic book. Gimmicks and comic books go together like Peanut Butter and the jar that peanut butter comes in. Cross overs, foil covers, motion covers, Lego varient covers, killing super heroes, bringing dead heroes back to life, reboot, reboot after everyone hates the reboot, rerereboot, Re Re Re no Reboot. Condemning one company for doing it to one (well, two) series is ridiculous. Speaking of which..
  • It's ARCHIE. As in, to remain relevant we have cross over with Glee, KISS, George Takei, and I'm not kidding, Predator! Archie VS Predator is going to be a thing! They played the zombie angle years after that was beaten to death (but from what I hear, they did a good job). They killed Archie off (late to the game, I see) only to plan to reboot him. Not to mention the pug fugly "realistic" art comics back last decade. They turned Sabrina the Teenage Witch into a really poorly drawn Ginzu-manga, and now as a wanna be EC comic from the 50's. Even Sonic had crappy gimmick issues and random crossovers early in its run. Be thankful we're not getting Mega Man Live, for crying out loud
  • Discounting the fans that hate the comics because the louder, more negative, and more obnoxious they get the more they think they're profound for not being sheeple and liking something, we've essnetially got the best Western representation of the character period. Of course, that's not saying much because it's in company with (in declining order) the Ruby Spears series, the Captain N series, Brazil's insane piece of crap comics that are only valuable for being so stupid that they're funny, Dreamwave's even worse and no excuse for it comics, and the horrible beyond belief Mega Man 2 novelization.

Seriously. This isn't me saying "beggars can't be choosers" but if you're starving to death, have no source of food, haven't eaten a proper meal for as long as the human body can survive without it, you don't complain that the prime rib someone generously gave you isn't pink enough and throw it out.