Disney Princesses

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But a fat princess would be out of place.
Not all, or even most, real life royalty throughout history have been drop dead gorgeous. Doesn't mean they didn't deserve a prince (or princess) of their own. :wink:

Harleena

Reaction score
Not all, or even most, real life royalty throughout history have been drop dead gorgeous. Doesn't mean they didn't deserve a prince (or princess) of their own. :wink:
I'm not trying to fat-shame, but with she'd just look too out of place with the other princesses.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not trying to fat-shame, but with she'd just look too out of place with the other princesses.
So what? Snow White looks kinda plump next to the other princesses. But personally, she's always been my favorite. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm just so sick of seeing all the complaints, like, "We need another black princess!" "We need a Hispanic princess!" "We need a fat princess!" "We need a lesbian princess!" "We need an Indian (not Native American but actual Indian) princess!" "We need a princess with cancer!" SERIOUSLY? If she lives, then everyone gets false hope that they'll survive when it's very possible that they might die. If she dies, then everyone is super sad. I personally want to see either a Disney movie taking place in Switzerland, or another Asian princess, because Asia is huge, so Mulan doesn't really cover it. A movie taking place in historical Japan could be interesting.

You know who was a string female character without having to be a princess? Lilo. Lilo and Stitch was one of Disney's biggest films and it had cross gender appeal without even having to be a fairy Tale. There were no Lilo fashion dolls, Lilo is never depicted drinking tea in pretty dresses, and Lilo's walk around isn't an attractive woman in a dress, it's a HUGE version of her (in line with Goofy Suits) that's kinda disturbing. Lilo and Stitch went onto 3 sequels, a TV series, and 2 Japanese TV series.

Then there's Vanelope VonSchweets who actually refused the title of princess to be President. Strong character as well. And just like Lilo, closer to the actual age of the demographic.

Now it looks like Big Hero is one of their biggest films too.

What does that tell you? Other than the fact Frozen made a crapload of money, Disney doesn't always have
Oh, man... yes. That right there. Anyone remember the princess from Monty Python and the Holy Grail that they were trying to get the foppish guy to marry? Looked like the girl in school everyone says has cooties. Underdeveloped, red faced, incredibly too young but times were different back then. I mean, Disney's princesses are mostly in their teens and they look like well developed 20 somethings. Reality was tossed out the window and had the chamberpots that are conspicuously absent in those films tossed on it. Oh, and fat meant something a lot different when only royalty could afford to feed itself on a regular basis, so there's that. Of course, ugly shaming characters in animation goes all the way back to the Golden Age. That "A MAAAAAAAYYYYYYUUUN!!" bit from Roger Rabbit didn't come from nowhere. Anyone unattractive in animation or even live action is nothing but a goofy, joke character to make the pretty people look good. I don't think that's going to change much.

A lesbian princess? Yeah, right. Like Disney's going to tangle with the moral crusaders on that one. In fact, other than the disastrous Postcards from Buster episode, the only time I've seen same sex couples referenced in a cartoon, it was Clarence. Relatively new and on the DL. And big freaking props to them for making Jeff's parents a lesbian couple.

As for a plus sized princess. Keep in mind, plus sized would translate to slightly thicker drawn. There's no way they'd go full on fat. Even if the entire world population turned into the humans from Wall*e, our TV stars would be mostly thin, so that's right out. But to be totally honest, I would love to see Disney animate a movie about a really fat princess. That would be so incredibly weird. Could you imagine the fashion dolls they'd have to make? How much bounce they'd have to animate? And it would still be less of a mindwarp than Home on the Range.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know who was a string female character without having to be a princess? Lilo. Lilo and Stitch was one of Disney's biggest films and it had cross gender appeal without even having to be a fairy Tale. There were no Lilo fashion dolls, Lilo is never depicted drinking tea in pretty dresses, and Lilo's walk around isn't an attractive woman in a dress, it's a HUGE version of her (in line with Goofy Suits) that's kinda disturbing. Lilo and Stitch went onto 3 sequels, a TV series, and 2 Japanese TV series.
It feels like they knew Polynesian characters wouldn't necessarily be thin, so they went full blown cartoony. I agree, quite disturbing. Not cool, Disney.

But to be totally honest, I would love to see Disney animate a movie about a really fat princess.
And you know who kinda already beat them to it? Shrek.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And you know who kinda already beat them to it? Shrek.
Having attractive people voice "ugly" characters to spread the message that beauty is skin deep... ehhh... I'll just take the passive aggressive stabs at Disney.

No. A really fat one. Think of the deconstruction. Princess, no thanks to fairy tales and movies, not even just Disney ones, basically means attractive, dainty little thing floating around as a prize for some equally vapid male character. It no longer means king's daughter. If there's one thing that even gets Princesses right, it's Adventure Time. They've thoroughly redefined what Princess was after Disney et al defined that concept. They put the most vapid female qualities into the goofiest character, and even they made her sympathetic from time to time.

So honestly, if girls are looking for better princesses, go outside Disney. All I'm sayin'.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Having attractive people voice "ugly" characters to spread the message that beauty is skin deep... ehhh... I'll just take the passive aggressive stabs at Disney.
Lol, a valid point.

mr3urious

Reaction score
You know who was a string female character without having to be a princess? Lilo.
Ditto Brandy Harrington of the Florida Harringtons, though strong in the sense of being a wacky, expressive character in her own right, especially when she plays off of Mr. Whiskers. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, a valid point.
Plus, frankly, the second one's better anyway. Puss in Boots and all that.

Ditto Brandy Harrington of the Florida Harringtons, though strong in the sense of being a wacky, expressive character in her own right, especially when she plays off of Mr. Whiskers. :smile:
Well, I meant theatrically. There are a lot of great female characters in Disney TV shows. Rebecca Cunningham, Gosalyn Mallard (one of my personal favorites, but I have a Darkwing Duck bias), Spinelli and Gretchen on Recess and so on.