Songs You Can't Stand

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously. Glee ruins songs.
Thank you!

I can still listen to "Don't Stop Believin'" as I liked the song before GLEE was ever even thought of -- however, there are certain songs that GLEE has ruined for me that even when I hear the original versions, I can't bring myself to listen to them. Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer," for example . . . anytime I hear that song, the refrain makes my skin crawl because I can hear those grating kids in the back of my mind like nails on a chalkboard! I purposely try to retrain my brain into not even thinking about it, because when you think about it, there's a similarity with the concept of Rule 34 with GLEE: if it exists, GLEE will ruin it. And there really isn't a song they haven't touched, which is why I try to purposely not even think about it, because just knowing songs that I really love have been GLEE'd makes me wanna go over to the Darth Wiki section of TV Tropes and spam the heck out of the Wallbangers section.

And of course, there's my old rant about how they messed up the alliterative refrain from "Sweet Transvestite," and yet they still left other swearing and suggestive lyrics in . . . what kind of censorship is that?

cjd874

Reaction score
The most painful thing is songs you loved when they were new, that got ran into the ground through overexposure, used in a few commercials/tv themes/movie soundtracks. Here are a few classic tracks that you can file under Death By Oversaturation:

1. Journey- Streetlight People (you know better as "Don't Stop Believing")
2. The Who- Won't get Fooled Again (the single's original b-side, "I Don't Even Know Myself", best song never heard by the masses).
3. Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven (not their masterpiece. That belongs to "When the Levee Breaks"
4. Jethro Tull- Aqualung
5. Lynyrd Skynyrd- Free Bird (if I hear those three chords again I'm gonna puke!)

Maybe pull these back out in another twenty years and they might sound fresh again. MAYBE.
I love all those songs, but I agree that they're overplayed. Especially Don't Stop Believing and Stairway to Heaven. Can I also add We Are the Champions? Queen is a great band, but that song has played at EVERY SINGLE sports stadium in the universe since it was released in 1977. And when people try to sing it after the game, sometimes in a drunken state…I can just feel the trembling in the ground as Freddie turns over in his grave.

On a side note about Stairway, Robert Plant did an interview where he tried to put an end to all the hype.
Interviewer: Many people say that Stairway to Heaven is your best song.
RP (cuts the guy off): It's not. Kashmir is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I purposely try to retrain my brain into not even thinking about it, because when you think about it, there's a similarity with the concept of Rule 34 with GLEE: if it exists, GLEE will ruin it. And there really isn't a song they haven't touched, which is why I try to purposely not even think about it, because just knowing songs that I really love have been GLEE'd makes me wanna go over to the Darth Wiki section of TV Tropes and spam the heck out of the Wallbangers section.
At the risk of this being a Glee bashing thread...

I have to admit, while I didn't exactly like the show even when it started, I did like how it was an antidote to the sunshiny fakeness of High School Musical. Clearly it was meant to be an antithesis to that. However, it was just as cartoonish, but for different reasons. I watched all of two full episodes and just didn't get it. Then the show turns from jukebox musical with some context to the song choices to "let's have them sing the soundtrack of/hits by [such and such]" and the popularity took a HUGE nosedive. I mean, the last 2 seasons of the show were like, this is still on the air?!

And yes. They BUTCHERED Rocky Horror. The part about the gay kid being too sensitive to playing the best character in the freaking show? Really!?! That kid was nominated for a comedy Emmy?! All the character does is be depressed about something.

I hate to say this, but at least High School Musical gave us Ashley Tinsdale, who's actually quite good outside of that thing. Especially as Candice Flynn.

mr3urious

Reaction score
At the risk of this being a Glee bashing thread...

I have to admit, while I didn't exactly like the show even when it started, I did like how it was an antidote to the sunshiny fakeness of High School Musical. Clearly it was meant to be an antithesis to that. However, it was just as cartoonish, but for different reasons. I watched all of two full episodes and just didn't get it. Then the show turns from jukebox musical with some context to the song choices to "let's have them sing the soundtrack of/hits by [such and such]" and the popularity took a HUGE nosedive. I mean, the last 2 seasons of the show were like, this is still on the air?!
I remember when the Rowdy Reviewer took on Glee and said he enjoyed the first 2 seasons, especially the 2nd when it was a little more playful with the concept. But after that, he turned on the show as he got more and more infuriated at the character derailment and other dumb choices it made.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the problem is this. When a show starts off popular and strong right out of the gate, keeping up that same level of quality and excitement is nigh impossible. Same exact thing happened with Heroes. It was so well received and popular that the show headers didn't know what the heck they were going to do, and quality slipped as a result. Shows usually work better when they start off small and gain a following. There's room for character development, show development, and overall growth, fixing the problems of the show's beginning. Most shows have weak first seasons, and get stronger. But if yiou have a strong first seasons, the wiggle room is much smaller.

Plus, at a certain point, it was all about selling soundtracks instead of logical places to put songs.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Eminem's "Lose Yourself".
This song has been overplayed. I prefer his song, "Stand" over this garbage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first horribly mismatched song used for a commercial. At least it's not a cruise ship selling itself with songs about drug abuse. But there's something about it that annoys me as well. Plus, it's for the expensive better than you type diapers only upper middle class mothers that shake their judgmental fingers at others can afford.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first horribly mismatched song used for a commercial. At least it's not a cruise ship selling itself with songs about drug abuse. But there's something about it that annoys me as well. Plus, it's for the expensive better than you type diapers only upper middle class mothers that shake their judgmental fingers at others can afford.
Yes God forbid you take store brand diapers to a day care they will burn them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now that "Annoying Robot Voice" (ugh, I mean, "All About That Bass") is being used for diaper commercials, a lyric from the song actually stands out now, but it's a gravely inaccurate lyric:

"I'm bringin' booty baaaack!"

No, Meghan, you're not bringin' booty back. Booty has never died out, Meghan. Booty is one of three parts of the female body that superficial men have always obsessed over and always will (the other two are about three feet higher, and on the front).

If anything, we need to be bringin' legs back, but I think Angelina Jolie killed that for a lot of people a few years back when she made that pathetic attempt to show off her chicken leg at an award show.