Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny how these two shows manage to have announced revivals within a day of each other...

Danger Mouse

Powerpuff Girls.

Personally, I'd rather Count Duckula than Danger Mouse, but I do enjoy both. Seems the major point will be that it's high tech somehow. While there's obvious room for the obvious complaints, let's agree that our own current technology absolutely hurts the spy genre's main trope of wacky gadgetry. As long as DM is high on verbal humor and Penfold is as cowardly as usual, sounds like this could be a pretty good series.

As for PPG... well, I want to be excited for it, but I keep thinking "Season 6." You know, the season where they did episodes about not wearing sunblock and The Mayor became disturbingly (and unfunnily) stupid and childish? If we can get back to the glory days of seasons 1-4 level of writing and add some new villains in the mix, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I think they just about did all they could with the series, especially if you count the comics... though that first story arc of the IDW one should totally get an animated adaption.

And I REALLY hope they don't make them as out of character as that last TV special. Temper Tantrums? Even Blossom? That was out of character even for the Mayor. Seriously... go watch Toast of the Town and try and defend it. It's mortifying.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Can't say I'm too thrilled about the latter. I guess the ratings were so good for that one-off PPG special that Cartoon Network saw that as a demand for a revival. The big questions are, will Craig McCracken still be involved, and will it use the same papercraft art style as the special? From what I've heard, the CGI for the special was way expensive, causing it to be delayed, so probably not very cost-effective for CN.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could honestly see a PPG series animated like the first (and arguably better special- they referenced an obscure Sesame Street skit for one). Something Wander/Fosters style flash without having to break the budget on ultra-stylized versions of the characters. Maybe save enough of the budget to do that alternate reality CGI episode they couldn't afford to do and just published as a comic.

I'd be more excited for a PPG comeback if they'd find new angles for the characters. The super hero parody genre is overfull, and overfilled with junk lately. PPG was all about warping those kinds of tropes, often in delightfully twisted ways. At least, until the last season when they just had like one good episode and a so-so one that connected to the movie. As long as they can stay far away from that and give us some season 1-4 quality stuff, I'm all for it. If the Mayor is an unfunny baby, I'll pass.

As long as they stay far away from PPG Z. It's not even playful enough to parody the magic girl tropes. Even the TMNT were more satirical in their Japanese incarnation.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I LOVED Danger Mouse back in its original 80's run (when Nickelodeon was only a part-time network, they didn't even have Nick at Nite yet!) and so much of the series still holds up 30 years later. If they do greenlight a new series, I hope they can do it justice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds like the major change is upgrades in spy technology. Cellphones and Smartphones really put a damper on the spy tech tropes, especially the goofy parody ones. The hoops they had to go through to get the Shoe Phone into the Get Smart movie.

Other than that, I hope the changes are only on the technical and maybe cosmetic side. I hope to see essentially the same show with better animation. The original had a very small staff (and it was still more fluid than a standard Filmation cartoon). Oh, and I hope it gets to air in the US somehow.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
I love Danger Mouse and I hope this new series will do him justice. Also I would love it if they bought back David Jason to voice him again.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
Seems like an image of what Danger Mouse will look like in this series. I was actually surprised it wasn't cgi. Love that they kept Penfold's eyebrows floating above his head.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They look much nicer than the CGI papercraft looking PPG (to tie that into the thread too). Just a few cosmetic updates in the stylization department, but not by much.

Looks Flash like too, which considering the animation from the first series wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully it'll have a nice flow to it. But as long as they remember the high amount of verbal humor in it, we're fine. They just better the heck air it in the US. Simulcast would be nice, but at least have Nick pick it up for old time sake.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Details about Powerpuff Girls' revival have been released already, coming sometime in the 2015-2016 season, the news of Danger Mouse just popped up.

The US will be able to enjoy the new Danger Mouse series as a Netflix exclusive coming in 2016. Stephen Fry is tagged to play Colonel K!

Also a pleasant surprise, that's where DHX's new Inspector Gadget series will premiere! We're finally getting a revival in this country that isn't a Baby Nephew or a series of travelogues with Gadget pasted in. You know, cuz no network wanted to pick up Gadgetinis. Shame, since that show actually had some good angles to it.