The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
The two new miniseries intrigue me the most, especially the Adventure Time one. It's nice seeing CN produce more of these, considering how well Over the Garden Wall was received.

I wonder how the "Say Uncle" crossover would be executed in terms of art style. I'm guessing it will be set in Beach City, and UG and his crew will remain in their own style.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of the article:

It's strange that there's no mention of either Wabbit, the new Scooby-Doo series, or We Bare Bears anywhere on there when they were mentioned in the 2014-2015 line up. While We Bare Bears sounds idiotic, I was looking forward cautiously optimistic to both Wabbit and Scooby. I'd say the more I know about Wabbit the more cautious is in that cautiously optimistic. I remember they were making a big deal about some show called Numb-Chucks, which wound up unceremoniously dumped off on Boomerang on Saturday Afternoons. Then again, after seeing it, I don't exactly disagree with that decision.

Glad to see Transformers gets some mention in the press release, even though CN's history of screwing the franchise with bad time slots is going unaltered. very disappointed by that, but unsurprised. Hopefully on demands, online hits, and toy sales keep that one a-float. Also surprised to see Mixels as "renewed" since it was technically never really a show to begin with. Other than that half hour special, they were essentially made into shorts between cartoons in commercial breaks.

Other than that, as glad as I am that they hit a nerve with their current line up, I'm disappointed they can't add just a little more variety to the mid-day. Glad to see that Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry are back, but they're the only thing not broadcast in the early hours of the morning that aren't the main choice of shows. It's a double edged sword. However, I was a might worried about UG and Steven Universe. Glad to hear they're safe for another year.

The Steven Universe/Uncle Grandpa Crossover and Regular Show "Movie":
While this was sure to get a royal "WHAT THE...?!" from the cartoon community, I can't help but think that's the point. The shows are brilliantly incompatible with each other, and that's going to get some curious viewers to tune in. A Happy show like UG and a show full of drama bombs like SU will no doubt have a weird result. And weird's just going to help that series out.

As for the Regular "Movie," I couldn't be more excited for that one. I've yet to be disappointed by a full half hour plotline from them. I especially liked the Real Thomas and Skips's Past story arcs. No doubt will they be able to explore something much deeper than they can in 11 minutes. I'm sure they have an exciting enough concept that will utilize every minute of that extended time frame. I wonder if it's going to be a full movie or one of those 45 minute deals.

Steven Universe in General:
They really mined "Fusion Cuisine" for continuity in that one. Even down to Steven still being grounded from television. It was great to see Garnet showing Steven first hand how heavy a power viewing all timelines would be. As well as Steven and Connie's growing relationship. Nice to see that after a very heavy episode about Amethyst, the Gems have less of a focus these last two episodes. But I bet they're going to come back strong next week.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's strange that there's no mention of either Wabbit, the new Scooby-Doo series, or We Bare Bears anywhere on there when they were mentioned in the 2014-2015 line up. While We Bare Bears sounds idiotic, I was looking forward cautiously optimistic to both Wabbit and Scooby. I'd say the more I know about Wabbit the more cautious is in that cautiously optimistic. I remember they were making a big deal about some show called Numb-Chucks, which wound up unceremoniously dumped off on Boomerang on Saturday Afternoons. Then again, after seeing it, I don't exactly disagree with that decision.
The one about the bears is based on a webcomic created by the same guy as the series. The comics are okay, but hopefully the concept is expanded from the gag-a-day style of the strips into actual plots, which would work better on the small screen. And the concept of three semi-anthro bears trying to integrate into human society does sound off-beat enough to be worth a watch.

Wabbit does sound intriguing to me due to a return to the wackier style of the theatrical shorts (which no doubt the purists would hate), but Scooby's return to comedy? Not so much, especially after the dramatic, serialized tone with Mystery Inc. that took the series in a bold new direction not seen since Zombie Island.

Glad to see Transformers gets some mention in the press release, even though CN's history of screwing the franchise with bad time slots is going unaltered. very disappointed by that, but unsurprised.
They're satisfied with Sonic Boom's ratings, so I'm sure they'd be just as satisfied with Transformers.

Drtooth said:
They really mined "Fusion Cuisine" for continuity in that one. Even down to Steven still being grounded from television. It was great to see Garnet showing Steven first hand how heavy a power viewing all timelines would be. As well as Steven and Connie's growing relationship. Nice to see that after a very heavy episode about Amethyst, the Gems have less of a focus these last two episodes. But I bet they're going to come back strong next week.
At least Steven didn't create any self-fulfilling prophecies there like he did last time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The one about the bears is based on a webcomic created by the same guy as the series. The comics are okay, but hopefully the concept is expanded from the gag-a-day style of the strips into actual plots, which would work better on the small screen. And the concept of three semi-anthro bears trying to integrate into human society does sound off-beat enough to be worth a watch.

Wabbit does sound intriguing to me due to a return to the wackier style of the theatrical shorts (which no doubt the purists would hate), but Scooby's return to comedy? Not so much, especially after the dramatic, serialized tone with Mystery Inc. that took the series in a bold new direction not seen since Zombie Island.
I'm suspicious that none of these shows were mentioned in that press release. Makes me think they abandoned both remakes. Either that or they think there needs to be more time in between Mystery Incorporated and The Looney Tunes Show.

Yeah, I don't know quite what to make of a comedy Scooby-Doo. Then of course, it sounds like they're trying to be more kid friendly. I mean, even the DVD covers for Mystery Incorporated made it look juvenile. I'm looking forward to the eventual Lego Scooby specials far more.

Wabbit... well, take the purists out of the equation. They hate anything made past the fifties to the point of infighting on whether Chuck Jones ruined Daffy Duck or not. Other than that, some of it sounds good, some of it is hopefully better than it sounds. As long as they never go back the Loonatics/Baby Looney Tunes route and forget what made the characters special and replace it with generic kiddy entertainment. Wonder if they're just going to move both series to Boomerang.

Above all, while I'm glad CN has hit a strive and struck a nerve with their programming, shielding us from unlikable internet toon based or out of place, generic live action programming, I really think that they need something different in their weekday and Saturday Morning line ups... which brings me to...

They're satisfied with Sonic Boom's ratings, so I'm sure they'd be just as satisfied with Transformers.
CN has a history of screwing over Transformers timeslot wise. While the Unicron trilogy certainly deserved it (and was already in the can as far as the original Japanese production was concerned, so it only needed to be dubbed), Transformers Animated never got the fourth season it deserved. Though that was partially due to retailers wanting more Bayformers toys on the shelves. So far, it seems that the RID toys are selling well, and actually bumping the movie merchandise off of shelves instead of the other way around. If it can survive a 6:30 AM Saturday time slot, I'm sure the toyline will give them that added push.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems to me there's something about Amethyst and Greg in this episode that suggests that Rose wasn't exactly the first gem he fell for. At the very least, it suggests that Amethyst could very well have introduced Rose to him. Steven's speech was perfect lampshade hanging on the fact they're building things up slowly.

Of note. Steve's very pure hearted to actually abide by his ridiculous punishment, which I still think Pearl gave him jokingly. Even covering his eyes when they were watching old video tapes. Greg huddling and covering his face in a depressed annoyance when Amethyst turned into Rose, and the fact even she thought she went too far was the powerful moment of the episode.

Oh, and I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPIjnX_07cJSt375Ojhf1Hw/videos

A YT channel devoted to animatics and song demos. Not really a lot there so far, but it seems to have just been created a week ago.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They're really mining (no pun intended) Amethyst for drama lately, not that I'm complaining. And did she simply become friends with Greg after having a relationship with Rose, or were they lovers even before that? The world may never know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also love the attention to detail when it came to the sitcom. It sounds like just a parody of Mr. Belvedere, but if anyone remembers 80's sitcoms, there were quite a lot of affluent or at least well to do families in those shows. Of course, to reflect the strongly capitalistic 80's. I also like how the theme song was some sort of combination between Mr. Belvedere and Facts of Life.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MASSIVE FREAKING SPOILER!!!!

Holy crappidy crap! Garnet was a fusion the entire time! And we finally get a song out of Garnet and it is glorious.

You gotta love how they were going to finally reveal Sapphire and Ruby on Steven's birthday. Also great to see more of the evil gems in the series. I can't wait for them to reveal Yellow Diamond. If she's worse than Jasper, it's going to be epic.

mr3urious

Reaction score
MASSIVE FREAKING SPOILER!!!!

Holy crappidy crap! Garnet was a fusion the entire time! And we finally get a song out of Garnet and it is glorious.

You gotta love how they were going to finally reveal Sapphire and Ruby on Steven's birthday. Also great to see more of the evil gems in the series. I can't wait for them to reveal Yellow Diamond. If she's worse than Jasper, it's going to be epic.
That was indeed an intense two-parter! And it's no wonder why Garnet had three eyes! :smile: