Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep. Rocky. And Rocky is friggin' awesome.

But yeah. We need more sports films with genuine heart and not these Disney sappy liberal guilt done wrong projects. Million Dollar Arm looked awful, as good as Jon Hamm usually is. Sad, because that film felt like something he'd do at the beginning of his career. He's freaking Don Draper. He deserves better than that.

As for Hot Tub, well, I would say that 22 Jump Street was lucky, but they had the right idea and lampshaded the heck out of it being a sequel. I'm kicking myself for not seeing the first one to get all the references. I mean, they play it all the time on FX, but the edited version, so what's the point? The Hangover somehow got 3 movies and they were all successful. But even then those sequels were tongue in cheek about being sequels. Dunno about what Hot Tub's hook was, but it just seems they made it a time travel sketch comedy intead of whatever the first one was about. Plus, well... bad timing. This seems to be something that should have had a March release. But overall, it doesn't look as interesting as the first film. It looks like the TV series that the movie would spawn, but as a movie with the original cast. Not interesting enough to pay the 10+ bucks per ticket for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know. The fact that there's going to be a Second Best Marigold Hotel (or whatever that was called) makes me want to say that every older movie goer that whines about how there's no original movie ideas in Hollywood have completely lost their license to complain.

Old British People in India movies. Great. That's going to be a thing. And saying they only make Super Hero movies is no longer an excuse. Might as well give it a Denny's 65 and older Kid's Meal type promotion.

mr3urious

Reaction score
You know. The fact that there's going to be a Second Best Marigold Hotel (or whatever that was called) makes me want to say that every older movie goer that whines about how there's no original movie ideas in Hollywood have completely lost their license to complain.
And that was a British creation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the kind of films that older people see because they don't make them like something they never actually watched anymore.

I just love the irony of a low key movie that attracts older women getting sequeled to heck like any other film there is. Not to mention that the First Royal Marigold Supreme Hotel pretty much opened the floodgates of more old British actresses falling in love with old British actors with young Indian people running around films. Almost makes me wish these films were called "Carry On, Marigold Hotel" so they'd have some good old fashion crass British humor in it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Will Smith movie Focus is number 1 this weekend, followed by Kingsman and SpongeBob, the former now turning a slight domestic profit. Meanwhile, Fifty Shades has slipped out of the top 3, while horror The Lazarus Effect follows behind, though it won't matter to Relativity Media because it was so dirt cheap to make, just like all those other throwaway horror movies. :rolleyes:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2015-02-28&track=secretservice.htm

Drtooth

Reaction score
Spongebob has been owning that 3rd spot for a while. Glad to see it not slipping off the top 3 this late in the game, as low as this week was. It would be great if Fifty Shades fell off the map, though. But the damage is already done. I'm loving the fact that movie goers that were suckered into seeing it actually say it's worse than the book. Okay, not as good as the book. But what do you expect with an R rating?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Next week comes Neill Blomkamp's Chappie, which I expect to open somewhat better than his earlier film Elysium, mainly because there's no direct competition to speak of and that it isn't dumped into the month of August, which was the same month that benefited Blomkamp's first movie District 9.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The movie has a weird disconnect as far as advertising goes. By all means it looks much more, well... not juvenile, but it doesn't look exactly like it deserves am R rating by the previews. I'm wondering if that will turn any potential movie goers off, and somehow attract a younger crowd.

The film does look like it has elements of 1980's kid's movies (in a flattering E.T. sort of way), but of course with a grown up, sci-fi feel to it. I have faith in the film's tone and execution. I just hope others do.

Other than that, I'm very much looking forward to Home. Dreamworks's output has been strange lately, but this seems more in line with what they've been doing since the first HTTYD. I hope this film is successful enough to drag them out of the slump they've been in that they've been horribly overreacting to (HTTYD 2 was one of the most successful films of last year. Ignore the soft American opening).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The film does look like it has elements of 1980's kid's movies (in a flattering E.T. sort of way), but of course with a grown up, sci-fi feel to it.
Well in the theater during the trailer, my friend and I started saying, "Hey, it's Number Chappie 5!" :wink: