Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh. In regards to that stupid Rassledog movie.

They totally say RussellMania in the actual previews. Just not the title because they'd rightfully get sued.

And yes. It is by the same guys that created Air Bud and the Buddies films. Animals playing sports shouldn't be a genre unless it's animated. Like that Animalympics movie that I've only seen bits of.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
And yes. It is by the same guys that created Air Bud and the Buddies films. Animals playing sports shouldn't be a genre unless it's animated. Like that Animalympics movie that I've only seen bits of.
Animalympics is on YouTube if you're curious about the full thing. It's a choppy movie, not every segment works, but it's got a good soundtrack and always entertaining to hear Gilda Radner.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Animalympics is on YouTube if you're curious about the full thing. It's a choppy movie, not every segment works, but it's got a good soundtrack and always entertaining to hear Gilda Radner.
Animalympics was meant to be two separate specials with each part focusing on the summer and winter Olympics, but thanks to the mass boycott of the 1980 summer games in Moscow, it was awkwardly combined into one, which explains why it felt so disjointed.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That, and the athletes' names from Animalympics are all fun clever puns. The one that always made one of my friends laugh was Ono Nono, the killer whale in the individual swimming competition.

Also, knowing what I know now, I think the Calamari Brothers from the bobsledding and water polo events share the same inspiration source as the Flying Zucchini Brothers.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Animalympics was meant to be two separate specials with each part focusing on the summer and winter Olympics, but thanks to the mass boycott of the 1980 summer games in Moscow, it was awkwardly combined into one, which explains why it felt so disjointed.
Yeah, they just jump from sport to sport and there are only a couple threads throughout the whole movie. I guess the animal Olympic village had all seasons at once, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I started to watch it a while back but never really finished. Going further back, I saw it cheap on VHS at a local store that hasn't existed for over a decade, but as I've never heard of it and various cheap Disney videos were surrounding it, I never picked it up.

What I did see was pretty good. That just proves my point that this stuff is far better in animation than live action where everyone acts cartoony anyway. But as Recess said, Kindergarteners love talking dogs. So they keep cranking those out. I'm just happy that Marmaduke successfully torpedoed theatrical talking dog movies, even though it was partially CGI pasting. Those are still inexplicably popular because they got so gosh darn lucky with Chipmunks 1, which wasn't that bad, just horribly miscast on the part of Dave.

Off topic, if you switched Jason Lee and the guy who played Ranger Smith in the Yogi Bear movie, both films would have worked better. Dave was overly angry through the whole movie (even angrier than 1960's cartoon Dave) and Ranger Smith was overly sensitive and mellow through that one (which would have been perfect for overly sensitive 1980's Dave).

mr3urious

Reaction score
And speaking of talking animal movies, anyone remember Paulie? It's about a parrot who tries to reunite with his young owner who was unfairly taken from her. This also feels a lot more heartfelt and genuine even when talking nostalgia filter out of the equation, not to mention more natural in that parrots are capable of talking, though in real life they can only just repeat what others say. I like how the movie plays with this in that Paulie is the only parrot who can't... well, parrot, yet most other people have a hard time believing it.

The producers, on the other hand, tried to market it like another wacky and obnoxious kids' movie when it was nothing of the sort.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
And speaking of talking animal movies, anyone remember Paulie? It's about a parrot who tries to reunite with his young owner who was unfairly taken from her. This also feels a lot more heartfelt and genuine even when talking nostalgia filter out of the equation, not to mention more natural in that parrots are capable of talking, though in real life they can only just repeat what others say. I like how the movie plays with this in that Paulie is the only parrot who can't... well, parrot, yet most other people have a hard time believing it.

The producers, on the other hand, tried to market it like another wacky and obnoxious kids' movie when it was nothing of the sort.
It is a great movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
The worst part of the wacky talking animals movie is that now any movie for kids has to look that level of "amuse a 4 year old who's immature for his age" marketing as those cheap Air Buddies/See Spot Run type films. While I still have no desire to see Paddington, it seems to have been the case when it came to the film's marketing. Considering the Bungle Brothers released that one in the US, it's no wonder. Heck, the first Smurfs movie took all the worst parts of the film (except the BLAM where they're playing Guitar Hero) just for the trailer.

And all because crap like Marmaduke exists even though no one actually saw it. So in reality, they're marketing to an imaginary common denominator, not just the lowest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the plus side, The live action Americanized "Akira" film has been stalled once again! Let's hope that thing dies in a pile of nightmarish, veiny cartoon car vomit. Or was it the bunny or the bear?

Back on the negative side... I don't know when the heck this was released, but one of those awful tenth party DTV Asylum type film makers has released a bad looking horror film unashamedly stealing the name of a famous Asylum where Gotham's criminal elite often find themselves. Yep. To confuse incredibly stupid gamers and comic fans (I'm sure 99.9999999999999% of those two wouldn't be fool slightly), they called a weak "murderer in a run down mental institution" plot based film "Arkham Sanctorum" (or something like that). Saw it in a Barnes and Nobel. Really!?! There's nothing even slightly related to Batman, the video game with batman, DC comics or guys in weird costumes. We're DC's lawyers?