Henson Rarities on Youtube

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that Here Comes the Puppets is online. Previously, footage of the Muppets (as well as a few other puppet acts) from that festival were on YouTube, without the whole special, but I think that's been taken down. And I wonder if they did multiple performances. I haven't actually watched the whole special yet, just bits and pieces (skipping to different times), and noticed a difference in the Oscar and Bruno portion. At first I thought it was just a different camera angle from what was online, but then came the part where Oscar told Bruno to say hello. In the footage that was previously posted, it was obvious Caroll Spinney had trouble getting Bruno's mouth to move, but in this that part's not shown (and it doesn't look like it was cut from the special). Also, in the old footage, Bruno's voice sounded a bit quieter, almost like he was saying "hello", but here he clearly says "Well, uh..." (which was noted at Muppet Wiki, I wondered if that was an odd mistake).

It was also interesting seeing Charlie McCarthy on display. That's the first time I saw him without his hat, but I didn't think he was bald. I also enjoyed that performance by Shari Lewis dancing with a full-body puppet, almost Oscar and Bruno-style.

tygerbug

Reaction score
Peculiar; I haven't seen that version of the special. This is also a rare appearance by Betsy Bird.

Shari Lewis did a similar performance a few years earlier, here --

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Peculiar; I haven't seen that version of the special. This is also a rare appearance by Betsy Bird.
As I had said earlier, it doesn't seem to be on YouTube anymore, but it was all of the Muppet material in one sitting, without having to sit through other puppet acts (and as I said, a few of the other puppet acts taped for the special were also on YouTube in a similar way). I was surprised at first - I thought it was taken from a copy of the special, only cutting out the non-Muppet parts (in addition to cutting the hosting material with Jim and Kermit). But then somebody told me that it was a raw recording of the acts as opposed to the actual special. A time code was also present.

After watching all these, I must say that if Disney ever decides to finally release the remaining TMS seasons (plus other older Muppet material) they should hire you for the job!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I was one of the people who had the JHH episodes on YT for some time (though just the Muppet segments, as the JHC wouldn't let me upload the other segments). I've run into too many issues with YT copyright policies and recently moved my other uploads to Dailymotion.

On the plus side, the powers that be seem less uncomfortable with Muppet stuff popping up on YT. I doubt the Henson Rarities are going anywhere anytime soon.

tygerbug

Reaction score
I hope not! With Youtube's content ID as tough as it is, there's a lot of stuff which gets flagged for various reasons, even if it's otherwise rare and unreleased.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Around this time last year, I saw a Facebook post, I think it was by Tough pigs, where it was said that Disney has a "no block" policy with YouTube, meaning that Disney won't block content uploaded by fans, but content identified as being owned by Disney will have ads and Disney will get a few cents from each view.

tygerbug

Reaction score
As if --

I've had the most trouble with Star Wars material actually. Which is now owned by Disney. Had both a Youtube and a Vimeo account shut down due to that.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
@tygerbug Do you have any of the 10 Muppet Videos from 1985 made by Playhouse Video?

Otherwise, thanks for all the great stuff you posted so far! :smile:

tygerbug

Reaction score
I would have to ask someone like Guillermo for stuff like that.

Here's The Orson Welles Show: