Most Unlikable Protagonists

Harleena

Reaction score
While I admit I do like the show in the context that sometimes it's actually pretty good, and while the weakest of CN's original line up (a very high breed for sure this time), at least it's not Johnny Test or Annoying Orange. But the writers clearly are trolls. You can tell these guys love post-cancellation series Family Guy, as they turned the Titans into the Griffins. But I have to admit, they did something special with Robin. They made him both Peter and Meg at the same time. As a fan of the original 00's Titans cartoon it is a might offensive, but it's clearly what they're going for. I agree, I really didn't like what they did to him, but I don't really like what they did to any of them. But, again, they wanted to tick off the audience. They're well aware that the Titans are unlikable jerks this go around. The villains look downright sympathetic half the time. All according to plan.

Though, frankly, watching Beast Boy and Cyborg's antics in this show makes the Thunder and Lighting episode of the first series very strange. They both have restraint, and they kinda have more of a vitriolic best buds thing going on.
I really liked the episode "Be Mine". Even though Starfire was a bit creepy when she gave Robin a human heart, the episode was great. And since I ship Beast Boy with Terra (although after "Pirates" I ship him with Raven in TTG), the song was a really sweet moment. Other good episodes in my opinion were "Mr. Butt" (Blackfire!!!!!), "Breakfast Cheese" (it's nice not to see Robin as a sociopathic murderer for once), "Dreams" (original series throwback!), "Starfire the Terrible" (because LOL), "Girls Night Out" (because Jinx, plus Twilight bashing), "Burger vs. Burrito" (I thought that it was funny), and "Colors of Raven" (MARSHMALLOW CLOUDS!). Plus, Amy Wolfram, who wrote the episode "Terra" in the original series, also writes some episodes for this show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show needs more writers from the original show. Teen Titans Go is best when they're making fun of the show's mythology as well as the mythos of DC comics.

Anyway, while I don't think Beast Boy is entirely unlikable, the episode "Gorilla" gets under my skin. Beasty's usually immature, but at least he has some brotherhood towards the rest of the Titans. Beating the crap out of your team captain because he's acting like an idiot? That was a really lowpoint of the show for me. Luckily things have improved to some extent. I like how the one where he gradually replaces his body parts with technological substitutes, Cyborg showed genuine care for Beasty. They need a little more of that and a lot less Family Guy style characterization.

Harleena

Reaction score
The show needs more writers from the original show. Teen Titans Go is best when they're making fun of the show's mythology as well as the mythos of DC comics.

Anyway, while I don't think Beast Boy is entirely unlikable, the episode "Gorilla" gets under my skin. Beasty's usually immature, but at least he has some brotherhood towards the rest of the Titans. Beating the crap out of your team captain because he's acting like an idiot? That was a really lowpoint of the show for me. Luckily things have improved to some extent. I like how the one where he gradually replaces his body parts with technological substitutes, Cyborg showed genuine care for Beasty. They need a little more of that and a lot less Family Guy style characterization.
I definitely agree. I liked "Man Person", but hated BB's attitude "Gorilla". I also love how in "Mr. Butt", Blackfire manages to show more character development in one episode than the rest of the characters have in the entire show so far…

mr3urious

Reaction score
How about a most likeable antagonist this time? I decided to check out a bit of Horseland out of sheer curiosity, and the only character I like is the one I'm not supposed to: Angora. She's the only one in that show with any distinct personality despite furthering the pervasive "cats are mean" stereotype.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Telephone Guy from the Five Nights at Freddy's games. He's the one who calls you and gives you information to help you survive the night, and cheerfully encourages you. He also blithely glosses over unimportant matters such as recent murders involving the restaurant you are working at, the way the parent company covers it all up, and the lethality of the mascots. This is the bit from FNAF3 that made me decide that he is not a nice person at all:

When using an animatronic as a suit, please ensure that the animatronic parts are tightly compressed and fastened by the spring locks located around the inside of the suit. It may take a few moments to position your head and torso between these parts in a manner where you can move and speak. Try not to nudge or press against any of the spring locks inside the suit. Do not touch the spring locks at any time. Do not breathe on the spring locks, as moisture may loosen them, and cause them to break loose. In the case of the spring-locks come loose while you are wearing the suit, please try to maneuver away from populated areas before bleeding out, as to not ruin the customers' experience.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When Family Guy tries to do a serious episode based on something they've routinely played for laughs usually yields off results, I'm adding Quagmire to the list for the episode "Quagmire's Mom." We have a character that has been lampshaded by the show itself as a rapist. And while some find those jokes a growing level of despicable, it's perfectly in line with the shock humor of the show, and has been since the second season or so.

But what really ruined the character was this episode. Now, first of all, trying to make a dramatic statement about Quagmire's sexual life style this late in the game is idiotic. Sure, they try to paint the episode as Quagmire being the victim because the underaged girl lied to him (which frankly puts them both to blame). But Quagmire has committed statutory before, and for laughs willingly knowing and ignoring age. The character pretty much has sex slaves and a giraffe fetish. Why are they trying to make this an important issue that blames the guy for everything only to pass off the blame on his mother? Especially since it was established that she was as bad as Quagmire back in the Bachelorete episode.

Secondly, even the main cast pretty much calls him out on being a pedophile. Even the writers subtly said "what we did with this episode was wrong." Funny how they were able to shake off Quag's behavior before.

Just completely ruined the character for me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just completely ruined the character for me.
I didn't see the episode, but I don't blame you. This is why comedy needs boundaries, lol. Not to limit them, but to avoid losing the message completely.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is either you make an important statement about something or play it for laughs. You don't do both. You can't make a heartfelt episode about a guy getting arrested on statutory convictions when the same character sees a bound and gagged cheerleader in a bathroom (this was when Stewie was evil, so yeah these jokes were that far back) and says "Dear diary: Jackpot!" If you build up a series of jokes about how a guy has a cartoonishly despicable sex addiction, you're not going to succeed in turning that into a Cerebus Retcon and making him sympathetic. It just proves why Cleveland got the spinoff. Quagmire is pretty much better as a one note joke. And it's a shame since he used to be one of my favorite characters.

Plus, I don't quite like how the episode was resolved. I'd say this is the one time I agree with a certain "family" group that's been on the show's case for years.

But darned if the cutaways weren't funny.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also didn't like the episode "Quagmire's Quagmire" in which the writers tried to paint him as the victim when he dates a woman who's really into bondage and relentlessly tortures him. Considering all the depraved things Quag has done, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The problem is either you make an important statement about something or play it for laughs. You don't do both.
You can do both. Stanley Kubrick has done it. Mel Brooks has done it. South Park (a much smarter show, IMHO) has done it. Can we bring them in to tutor Seth MacFarlane? Lol. His problem is there is no one to root for on Family Guy. A lot of comedy works because we feel like we're taking a side against something wrong, and thus supporting something right. But no one is ever "right" on Family Guy. He has spent all his energy making these characters as despicable or as disturbing as possible. And any time we might be remotely motivated to like them despite their faults, he deliberately finds a reason to destroy that. And it doesn't feel like any kind of social comment on his part about not having heroes. It just feels like him thinking compulsive contrariness is funny. I guess what I'm saying is, comedy and nihilism don't mix! :insatiable:

Plus, again, boundaries! It's one thing to make a quick, one off joke about Quagmire's activities. That's funny. It's another to dwell on them. That's disturbing, lol.

Fairly Odd Parents also came down with that compulsive contrariness syndrome. It just seems like a lazy way out when you've run out of ideas.

Last edited: