New Muppets Interstitial Series on Disney Junior 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I will say this I have had my own personal issues with both Tough Pigs and the Muppet Mindset, but I honestly feel that they try to be fair a Muppet project. For the most part they do not just point out the negative but they try to bring out the positive as well. Not to mention they have a better relationship with a lot of people on the inside that we here at Muppet Central would die to have!
I consider both Muppet Mindset and Muppet Stuff the best thing to happen to online Muppet fandom since the original late 90s MC site. More so actually as it's regularly updated. We were waiting years for a daily, regular professionally ran fun Muppet and JHC world related blog. I rarely come on forums and such so it's great so see all these disparate news or happenings get put into one area. And as much as I've had personal issues with TP long ago, the creation of the Muppet Wiki I think is the absolute greatest fan generated thing for all things JHC, pretty much ever.

But I do agree about doomsaying and negativity just for the sake of it. I'm often a doomsayer when I see a lot of things indicating bad decisions, but try and look for positive things in any production be it a commercial, short, special or film.
I'm strong in my view that Disney has failed the fans with a lack of merchandise as well as any indication of things fans want(new series, the rest of the seasons of TMS or other Muppet shows/specials on the home market) but I also am always ready to be pleasantly surprised at out the blue news. Heck a small part of me is hopeful that the latest FR film news pans out even or the eventual Muppet broadway play.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of these, but I kind of see what they're possibly trying to do. Instead of some poorly written, expensive Studio DC production, they're just talking with kids around the age that they'll be transitioning from Sesame Street. That's actually a smart strategy - as long as the real Muppet projects in the future contain the classic humor we've come to expect.

We complain when Disney lets these characters disappear between projects. Well, now they're going to basketball games and making these weird little Disney Jr pieces. They're networking. These are certainly not the areas of most interest to us, but they already have us. These are the areas where they need to reach out. Not enough kids wanted to go see MMW or had much of a connection to the gang. Do we forget that most of us fell in love with these characters as youngsters? This, as cringeworthy as it may seem, might remedy that.

This is not a "totally awful idea" in my assessment. It's actually a good strategy that could have been done better. We'll see what the next things look like. The Muppets have a way of surprising fans. I'm waiting for that.

Let's keep in mind, along with the kid videos, they're also doing these:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I'm strong in my view that Disney has failed the fans with a lack of merchandise as well as any indication of things fans want(new series, the rest of the seasons of TMS or other Muppet shows/specials on the home market).
It has already been discussed that the music and celebrity copyrights and whatnot are what's keeping the rest of TMS from getting onto DVD. It's not Disney's fault--they know that the entire world wants of rest of the show on DVD, but it's very difficult when whoever the rights-holders are decide to be heartless and stingy by not coughing up the licenses needed in order to release everything in their entirety, which we all know is what Disney wants to do so they won't have to upset the fans further by cutting out specific songs and scenes like they had to do with the Season 1 set.

Even though I do agree that it's frustrating waiting for all that to come to fruition (especially considering the fact that Lylle Brier announced Season 4's release back at the 2009 D23 Expo), it's best to still keep all the other factors in mind.

Heck, we could also hope that these Disney Jr. shorts will make more kids and other younger fans want to go to the store and buy Muppet DVD's, thus increasing the chances of Seasons 4 and 5 (and possibly other old school Muppet material) coming on DVD sooner than later, making them think that it would equal more DVD units sold if the kids watch these shorts and then go out to the stores hoping to find more Muppet content to watch. You never know...

Drtooth

Reaction score
No, everyone there has a "We're adults and we'll discuss things as adults and not give every Muppet production a pass just because it's the Muppets" attitude.
While I tend to agree, there's also the "Jim Henson didn't personally do it himself, so it has to suck and I refuse to give it any regard and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with me because I am smarter than anyone because of how loud and negative I am." Which is just as bad, if not worse. There's a middle ground of "this doesn't work, feel free to disagree" that's lost. It's either high praise or self righteous lambasting. There is no between.

Seriously? "This is a terrible idea and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong?" Not "I don't like this, but I'm also going to ignore it" or "if they don't make anything else, I won't complain that the characters are gone." He did not say "I'm not for this, but if you like it, more power too you." I got "I are smarterer than anyone because negative is smart." The same garbage that I hate from any fandom.

Seriously. By this point, if Geewunners don't like a single thing they've been doing, by all means stop watching. And stop commenting.

I'm not a big fan of these, but I kind of see what they're possibly trying to do. Instead of some poorly written, expensive Studio DC production, they're just talking with kids around the age that they'll be transitioning from Sesame Street. That's actually a smart strategy - as long as the real Muppet projects in the future contain the classic humor we've come to expect.

We complain when Disney lets these characters disappear between projects. Well, now they're going to basketball games and making these weird little Disney Jr pieces. They're networking. These are certainly not the areas of most interest to us, but they already have us. These are the areas where they need to reach out. Not enough kids wanted to go see MMW or had much of a connection to the gang. Do we forget that most of us fell in love with these characters as youngsters? This, as cringeworthy as it may seem, might remedy that.
First off, exactly. The "this food is terrible and such small portions" argument for the Muppets is just... either you want to see new projects or you don't. Not everything's going to be right out of the gate amazing, nor is it going to right off the bat be awful. I quite like the concept of trying to get younger audiences to like the Muppets so they can at the very least sell more DVD's of movies and keep the characters in the public eye.

Secondly... why on Earth do we keep forgetting These were made?! They're the most juvenile thing the Muppets ever did, and sanctioned by Henson himself. I'm basically hearing "The Muppets sold out to preschoolers" while willfully ignoring...

That exists, and all the whining about Disney in the world won't make it not exist. And JIM was behind it. A video for 3 year olds called "Peek a Boo."

Thirdly, while there are members that still remember the Post-Jim years, I feel that the problem is that Disney owns them and it is no longer a family owned business. One that certainly lacked leadership, vision, or business sense. I hate getting on this old soapbox and all, but really!?! Anyone expect the Muppets to do better at can't get a movie off the ground, made horrible Shrek knockoffs, gives licenses to crappy toy companies for ugly high end merchandise that's impossible to find, SOLD the Muppets of their own accord Henson? After all the crap that went down with the Fraggle Rock movie and the Executive Slaughtering that thing got? Disney may not be shoving Muppets up in yo beak 24/7, but the only branch of Henson that's doing things right is whatever one licenses them out to comic books. That's one up on them. We got Unproduced Henson Scripts in graphic novel form and no regular Muppet comic. We got 2 movies out of Disney when Henson was struggling with multiple projects for decades. Debatable on the quality, but I doubt Henson would have done anything better, considering their...um... last Muppet project (we all know what that was, it doesn't bare repeating).

Lastly, yeah... I really want more Muppet viral videos. Even SW manages to get some great Cookie Monster stuff out there. I agree that there's no reason to stop them completely since they won awards and got more interest than the films gave them. That's for the casuals that buy the occasional Kermit T shirt (to wear once), spell it (grrrrrrrrr) "Fozzy," and wonder who the two guys in the Balcony's names are.

Iscah

Reaction score
(People, please stop complaining about other forums. I'm on the other forum. It's not as bad as you're making out - and anyway, if you don't like their discussion, that's why you are here and not there.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That exists, and all the whining about Disney in the world won't make it not exist. And JIM was behind it. A video for 3 year olds called "Peek a Boo."
Don't know if I'm missing the point, but Henson still owns the rights to that one. Though I doubt Disney would have made it available by now if Disney got the rights.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't know if I'm missing the point, but Henson still owns the rights to that one. Though I doubt Disney would have made it available by now if Disney got the rights.
Yes.

You are missing the point. Sorry.

Now, if I have to remake my point it's that certain Muppet fans like to call out a certain project for turning the Muppets into baby fare. Be it Muppet Babies, The Muppets on Wheels type sing along videos, KSY, Classics theater, these interstitials, even Sesame Street itself. There will be some detractors that will constantly bring those up yet conveniently forgets this specifically for small children video series that Jim totally signed on for. And while the quality and intended age of these videos tend to vary, I think we can all agree that a video Henson made directly for babies is the ultimate low point. I mean, check out the description:

This video is designed for children under 3 years old, offering bright images, puppets, music and surprising sounds to stimulate young viewers.
Eerily like those Baby Einstein videos that have been proven to not work at all. So yeah, even Jim managed to make misfires. I'm certain that this tape was far higher quality than the Einstein videos, and it wasn't aggressively marketed to adults as "HEY! Make your dumb baby smarter so he becomes a fully licensed doctor at age 5," which was snake oil selling at its finest.

But yeah. Disney Jr interstitials... by the way, anyone actually see what Disney Junior actually airs now? It's pretty HIGH quality stuff like Sophia the First, Miles from TomorrowLand, and 7D, with none of the Dora wannabe notes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.... but interstitials during that sort of stuff may be on the juvenile side of things, but it's freaking hardcore compared to a lowpoint in the Henson era. Doesn't matter who owns the rights to it or the fact Kermit and Co aren't anywhere near it.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Somehow I get the feeling that if The Newsman was cut that he wouldn't have been mentioned in the announcement. hi this is the real scooterfan360 someone i know had got my password some how and copied the way i write and wrote that stuff i would like to apologize on the behalf of them they will not be using my computer ever again nor will i be friends with them ever again. i will be changing my password. so this little muppet website bashing was not done by me.

Really? I don't remember any Muppet Mindset articles that criticized the movie in a major way. I'll have to reread Ryan's articles on his set visit (or did somebody else at Muppet Mindset visit the set? Ryan's the only one I remember seeing such an article from) but thought he had positive thoughts about his experience and the movie.
hi this is the real scoote
Somehow I get the feeling that if The Newsman was cut that he wouldn't have been mentioned in the announcement.

Really? I don't remember any Muppet Mindset articles that criticized the movie in a major way. I'll have to reread Ryan's articles on his set visit (or did somebody else at Muppet Mindset visit the set? Ryan's the only one I remember seeing such an article from) but thought he had positive thoughts about his experience and the movie.

The best Muppet stuff since Jim passed away before the last two movies.

I think somebody said that Bill Baretta had told 'em that these shorts will be very entertaining to adults as well as kids. Of course that's the directors opinion, and while these don't look bad, I don't think they look like the greatest thing the Muppets have ever done. We'll just have to wait and see them and see how good they are.... They do look better than many of the productions that get a lot of hate from fans (at least they look better than Studio DC, the Lady Gaga special, The Muppets Kitchen, Kermit's Swamp Years, and Muppets' Wizard of Oz). I sort of also feel like saying that these look slightly better than the Play-Along Videos, Sing-Alongs, and Muppet Time (but then again, these have a lot of familiar characters, while those other productions were limited in the familiar character department).
f

The best Muppet stuff since Jim passed away before the last two movies.

I think somebody said that Bill Baretta had told 'em that these shorts will be very entertaining to adults as well as kids. Of course that's the directors opinion, and while these don't look bad, I don't think they look like the greatest thing the Muppets have ever done. We'll just have to wait and see them and see how good they are.... They do look better than many of the productions that get a lot of hate from fans (at least they look better than Studio DC, the Lady Gaga special, The Muppets Kitchen, Kermit's Swamp Years, and Muppets' Wizard of Oz). I sort of also feel like saying that these look slightly better than the Play-Along Videos, Sing-Alongs, and Muppet Time (but then again, these have a lot of familiar characters, while those other productions were limited in the familiar character department).

scooterfan360

Reaction score
hi this is the real scooterfan360 someone i know had got my password some how and copied the way i write and wrote that stuff i would like to apologize on the behalf of them they will not be using my computer ever again nor will i be friends with them ever again. i will be changing my password. so this little muppet website bashing was not done by me.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
As a fan of Muppet productions this does not really interest me but as a fan of the franchise it does excite me only because it's supposed to help kids get excited about the Muppets allowing them to make bigger and better things.

These are short Muppet Moments inserted between programs on Disney Junior, this is basically extra "viral videos" for kids airing on Disney Junior, you can probably consider this an advert promoting the Muppets more than anything else.

Now if this was an actual 30 minute show on Disney Junior I wouldn't be so supportive in fact I'd be really angry and disappointed. Since this is not a show and simply short clips with Muppets and Kids, something which wouldn't even bother me if it was a recurring sketch on a new Muppet Show then I'm quite happy to support this.

At the same time I do agree with those who think this is not a step in the right direction, as a fan I'm not that happy about it but as someone who wants to see the Muppets reach a wider audience then I'm very excited.

I also think it's important to remember that Bill Barretta is directing these, the same guy who directed The Muppets Toyota commercials (which in my opinion were incredible). It's not some random guy mixing Muppets with Kids it's someone who knows what he's doing.

When kids start going crazy for Muppets that's when we'll find more Muppet merchandise in The Disney Store than Monster Inc merchandise.

Status
Not open for further replies.