Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Double post in regards to the Roosevelt Franklin skit... to any first generation SS viewers like @fuzzygobo and @Katzi428 how long did the Roosevelt Franklin skits continue to air after at least the elementary school ones were being made?
There were three series of Roosevelt Franklin skits I can recall. In the first season we had Roosevelt's Alphabet, Numbers, and Days of the Week (my fave). Around Season 5 came the Elementary School skits, then in Season 8 (or around there, you can look it up) came the Headball skits. Set in Shea Stadium, Showered Rosell (Howard Cosell, brilliantly done by Richard Hunt) would call the action as Roosevelt coached his team of students through various problems they'd solve through logic. If they solved a problem right, they got to spike a ball in the end zone.
These were shown well into the 80's. Exactly until what season, what episode.... does it really matter?

Last edited:

Luke kun

Reaction score
Not sure who did the voices…maybe some of the novice puppeteers of the time (Marty Robinson, Brian Meehl, Kevin Clash, David Rudman, etc) did the voices and then the tracks were sped up, but that's just a guess. It could have been Fran, Jerry, Frank, Jim, and Richard for all we know.

My favorite part is the ending when Cookie Monster flips out at the sight of the cookies and then runs out the door in terror. It's so uncharacteristic of him, but so hilarious at the same time. Especially when he comes back and eats the cookies like the monster we all know and love.
"Me no see humor in this, Ernie!"
"Who cares? COME TO PAPA!" "YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUM"

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
There were three series of Roosevelt Franklin skits I can recall. In the first season we had Roosevelt's Alphabet, Numbers, and Days of the Week (my fave). Around Season 5 came the Elementary School skits, then in Season 8 (or around there, you can look it up) came the Headball skits. Set in Shea Stadium, Showered Rosell (Howard Cosell, brilliantly done by Richard Hunt) would call the action as Roosevelt coached his team of students through various problems they'd solve through logic. If they solved a problem right, they got to spike a ball in the end zone.
These were shown well into the 80's. Exactly until what season, what episode.... does it really matter?
I see. You're right though about the last remark- the episode part obviously doesn't matter; I was just wondering about the season part. (Considering how much criticism Roosevelt got.)

But that's cool though, how you're able to remember this history. In regards to the other Headball skits...did any other SS characters make a cameo in the stands like Bert, Grover, The Count, Herry, Guy Smiley, Simon Soundman, Biff and Sully did in the Hardhead Henry Harris skit?

Katzi428

Reaction score
Double post in regards to the Roosevelt Franklin skit... to any first generation SS viewers like @fuzzygobo and @Katzi428 how long did the Roosevelt Franklin skits continue to air after at least the elementary school ones were being made?
Wow...good question. I don't recall seeing him in the early 80s when my younger brother & sister started watching Sesame Street. (Try looking on Muppet Wikipedia)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I see. You're right though about the last remark- the episode part obviously doesn't matter; I was just wondering about the season part. (Considering how much criticism Roosevelt got.)

But that's cool though, how you're able to remember this history. In regards to the other Headball skits...did any other SS characters make a cameo in the stands like Bert, Grover, The Count, Herry, Guy Smiley, Simon Soundman, Biff and Sully did in the Hardhead Henry Harris skit?
Episode dates and numbers never really concerned me, but others seem to obsess over them. On YouTube in the comments section for a lot of classic clips, someone named kungfujiapple saw fit to provide episode dates and numbers. To me, it's just a number, I have no emotional stake in. It means more to me to know how did you like this clip- did it make you happy? Sad? Scare you? Dates only matter to me if there is some emotional attachment to it. April 21, 1976. Maybe this episode fell on your birthday. THEN it means something. Otherwise, so what?
I never paid much attention to episode numbers growing up. I noticed when they were starting to hit 1,000, but numbers still didn't matter. We had no idea Sesame would still be going strong after ten years, let alone forty.
Maybe someday numbers might matter to me, but not today.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
A bunch of rare material on audio, dated 12/29/1982 (early season 14)! A few highlights include Big Bird learning about Gordon and Susan's wedding, and the skit where Hardhead Henry Harris plays headball at the Roosevelt Franklin Stadium- I'm sure a lot of us have seen on YouTube in Dutch, but the English audio is here. @Oscarfan do you think you or someone else can take the copy that's here and dub it over the Dutch version and upload it, or do you think you can get me in touch with someone who knows how to do it?
That sounds cool, Sesamemuppetfan. Unfortunately, I don't have 45 minutes to listen to this now. But I'll keep that in mind for later on. But I'd like to hear Gordon and Susan's wedding. (Can't help but wonder if they'd use Matt Robinson or Garrett Saunders for the flashback. Lol.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That sounds cool, Sesamemuppetfan. Unfortunately, I don't have 45 minutes to listen to this now. But I'll keep that in mind for later on. But I'd like to hear Gordon and Susan's wedding. (Can't help but wonder if they'd use Matt Robinson or Garrett Saunders for the flashback. Lol.)
I doubt they'd use Garrett Saunders for the flashback, since Sesame Workshop for so many years didn't even know his name. But Sesame Street Unpaved does mention that in this episode Gordon wore a wig.

And it's said that it was their 14th wedding anniversary,and it was in the 14th season. That would mean that they got married right before the show began (ignoring the fact that they say it happened before Big Bird was born, unless you want to say it was right before he was born, and Oscar was probably green instead of orange in this flashback).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I doubt they'd use Garrett Saunders for the flashback, since Sesame Workshop for so many years didn't even know his name. But Sesame Street Unpaved does mention that in this episode Gordon wore a wig.

And it's said that it was their 14th wedding anniversary,and it was in the 14th season. That would mean that they got married right before the show began (ignoring the fact that they say it happened before Big Bird was born, unless you want to say it was right before he was born, and Oscar was probably green instead of orange in this flashback).
I've been thinking the same thing. To be honest, I'm pretty sure they left the arbor the way it was at that point- not getting rid of the garage (as well as leaving those torn up number stickers on there/not repainting them for this flashback), tire swing, etc. As a random comment, I wonder who shushed Oscar when he asks "Hey, don't you wanna have a yucky life?". It sounds like either Maria or Bob- I almost want to think it's Maria, since she had to tolerate with Oscar the most.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. That would make sense since it seems like Roscoe wore a wig in a flashback from around the time of season 35, the ep where Gordon, Miles and Grampa Robinson started a band.

That would also make sense since using the orange Oscar would probably confuse kids who didn't know that Oscar used to be orange. Though it seems like if they kept continuity there, that would mean Big Bird would have been a baby in the first season. I can't really see that.